“Still top notch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Austin, Texas
“Still top notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I always try to stay at a hotel in the Starwood group, unless I'm in Milwaukee. Iron Horse is a very masculine boutique hotel and I still love it. It's geared toward bikers and dog owners, neither of which I travel with but yet still love this hotel. The rooms are spacious, artistic, and clean. The customer service was outstanding. I scheduled a message this visit. They have a spa room and can have a masseuse on sight if you schedule at least 2 hours in advance. I love the in house Branded Bar. The waiter could tell I was traveling alone and took the time to talk to me. Breakfast in the library is fun with the morning light shining into the room. The majority of the hotel has low lighting.

I would stay here again and again, even if it means I don't get my hotel points at SPG.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear w0rktraveler2012-

Thank you for your loyalty to the Iron Horse Hotel. I am very proud to hear about the positive experiences you have had at our hotel. We put a lot of effort into making sure that all of our travelers have a memorable experience, and as you mentioned dogs and bikes are welcomed, but not required. If there is ever anything I can do to assist with your future trips to Milwaukee please let me know. We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Cheers!!

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Simply stated, the Iron Horse Hotel is a great place to get away for the weekend! Last weekend we decided to get away to Milwaukee in the middle of winter. We did the same thing last winter and after experiencing the hotel then, we had to return once again. By chance, we were in the same room as last year. It was a spacious Corner Alcove room with big windows an amazing bed, big walk in shower and plenty of desk space to spread out our tech gear. This place is wonderful. The entire staff is so accommodating. The bartenders, servers and check in staff were great! The hotel lobby and bar are beautifully designed. We relaxed in the lobby and watched the Super Bowl while be thoughtfully attended to by a server that brought us perfect cocktails and delicious food. They have it all working at the Iron Horse. And now that our second stay is in the books, it will be our hotel of choice when in Milwaukee again! We are already thinking of coming up for Summer Fest this year and enjoy the bar patio in warm weather.

Room Tip: The corner alcove room is wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear FrankC1234-

Welcome Back!! Thank you for being a loyal guest of the Iron Horse during your trips to Milwaukee. We will be looking forward to your next visit. I am very glad that you enjoyed your trip and were able to spend your Super Bowl Sunday with us. Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and if there is every anything I can do to assist with future reservations please do not hesitate to ask.

Until Next Time,

Whitewater, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

this hotel was unique and beautiful. the staff was very nice and so helpful,the only downside was that we stayed Saturday night and on sunday they only have their brunch. It was very very good but a bit pricey if you aren't a big eater and there really wasn't another option there. overall a wonderful place to stay

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Kriati-

Thank you very much for your kind words about the hotel. I am very glad you were able to visit and we appreciate you choosing the Iron Horse. Thank you for the note about breakfast on Sundays. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and customer feedback is the fastest way to do so. I thank you again for your time and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

When my husband and I arrived at The Iron Horse for the first time, we were immediately struck by how friendly everyone was from the bellhops to the concierge. We asked for suggestions for vegetarian restaurants in Milwaukee (the city of meats and cheese) and staff went out of their way to suggest nice spots that fit our requirements for good food and a friendly dive-y atmosphere. Every spot they recommended (after asking their coworkers for help) was perfect.

The hotel lobby has a great steam punk vibe and the rooms have great murals on the walks and signature Iron Horse hooks to hang coats and robes. We love their on-site bar (trendy and a bit too "scene"-ish for us) with solid drinks. Their library room has a long table for socializing and we've seen rooms for conferences and special events on-site.

They are dog friendly and motorcycle friendly which can be a plus or minus depending on your preferences. Note that prices have steadily climbed in the last two years as the spot continues to grow more popular.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Lynngilbertsen
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Lynngilbersen-

Thank for your kind words about that hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest. Milwaukee is full of surprises and it is quickly devolving more and more great places to eat. I am glad that the staff was able to point you in a direction that met your needs and that you were able to enjoy. It is great that you were able to enjoy the different outlets of our hotel as well. Thank you again and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Cheers,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I travel regularly to MKE for business, and when I get to the Ironhorse, I feel like I'm coming home. It's a cozy ambiance that lends itself to whatever type of experiecne you want. Handcrafted cocktails at the bar? Do it. Luxuriating in a bubble bath and ordering room service? Totally an option.

It's the best gym (in my opinion) because it offers TRX, freeweights, bags, and cardio equipment. The service is amazing, and it's one of the best nights rest you'll get (the beds are SOOooooo beyond comfy!)

Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank sassybeans
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear sassybeans-

We are very pleased to hear that we are your "Home away from home!" We are aware that business travel can be challenging at times and we do our best to make every guest as comfortable as possible. Having a place to be able to work out comfortably is a big part of that process. I agree with you that our gym offers a different experience that most hotels, we are very happy you enjoy it. Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel and we look forward to seeing you during your next trip.

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was very impressed by this place. Great style. We had a top floor room overlooking the train tracks and it was big and beautiful with a good bed, big double shower, sofa, etc. I was worried that it would be loud (based on other reviews) and as a VERY light sleeper I must say it was one of the most quiet hotels I have ever stayed in. The lobby/bar was a nice place to hang out and it is located in a great location close to a lot of fun restaurants and bars. People were very nice. I was also concerned about their open to dogs policy but again I didn't hear, see or smell any while I was there (which is of course a good thing). We will definitely go back

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from elevators or lobby.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mfuninsun
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear mfuninsun-

Thank you for taking the time to review the Iron Horse Hotel. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our unique style and that there were no noises or dog issues. I love the title of your review because I agree that our hotel has style and a great story; however it is the people that make it such an amazing experience. I know that I speak for all of us when I say that we cannot wait to have you back!

Cheers!!

Circle Pines, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Iron Horse Jan 18 and 19. We took the train to Wisconsin as a birthday present to my wife and chose this hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor. Well.....
Good location. Staff VERY helpful. Room clean and very eclectic with the mural on the wall. Bar was fun with friendly bartenders. There was a pool table in the bar with no charge to play. We didn't eat at the restaurant but even the locals said the Sunday brunch here is the best in Milwaukee. Cool looking lobby with a motorcycle standing at one end. The only negative was kind of an incense in the air that the staff said was infused about every half hour or so. It smelled to us like 'not so expensive' aftershave (I'm being nice). It gave my wife a headache the first night but we sort of got used to it. Of course this observation is subjective. Maybe many of you might love the aroma or at least not mind it. You make the decision; Just be aware when booking this hotel that there is a noticeable aroma throughout the hotel. Overall it was a pretty neat place to stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to expand their horizons a little. Tip: Eat at the Soup Brothers (a couple of blocks away) best soup ever! Last but not least: the staff really go out of their way to be friendly and helpful and THAT was also very noticeable!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chessdudes
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear chessdudes-

Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse for your special get-a-way to Wisconsin, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Milwaukee. We love playing host to guest celebrating special occasions and it is great that the staff met your expectations. In a constant effort to improve our guest experience we are actually in the process of changing our lobby scent. I agree that our guest have mixed reactions about the current scent, and we are looking for something a little more neutral. Thank you for your time and we hope to see you again very soon.