“Great stay in Milwaukee” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Concord, Massachusetts
“Great stay in Milwaukee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at The Iron Horse Hotel with my wife and two teenage girls during our first visit to Milwaukee. We were taking our son to the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater from Boston and needed to stay in Milwaukee for one night and we were all very pleased with the service experienced at the hotel.

The hotel has a great design and the room was very spacious, you feel like home. The service that the staff provides you is really great and we were amazed by the details; not many places offer you a cold drink in a hot day during your check in process.

The food, which we appreciate, was outstanding and you can tell that the produce are fresh. My wife and I had dinner in one of the restaurants that is outside and the ambience was terrific, live music with a great band. We ordered pork for dinner and it was absolutely great, tender and juicy. The staff was also amazing.

We had breakfast in the other restaurant that is inside, believe is named Smyth, and the menu was great. All of us enjoyed the food.

Our girls ordered room service and they were also very pleased. My eldest one had Filet Mignon and she complemented the quality.

What can I say, a very wonderful place in Milwaukee.

Enjoy!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jason C, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Our Culinary team does an incredible job, so thanks for recognizing them! Hopefully we can be your Wisconsin "home" on your return trips to UW-Whitewater.

Shannon Bussone
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
San Antonio, Texas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'm a frequent visitor to Milwaukee and have stayed at the majority of the major hotels in the city proper. However, it only took my first visit to the Iron Horse to change that forever. Whenever I'm in Milwaukee now, I will ONLY stay at the Iron Horse and everyone that I've recommended to stay there feels the same. I will change travel dates if the Iron Horse is not available rather than stay in another Milwaukee area hotel. From the moment the valet greets you at your car you know its going to be a wonderful stay. By the time you get out of the car and stretch and walk to reception, they already know you are there (I think the valet may be telepathic, because when you get to reception they already have your reservation pulled up, are welcoming you back, and are pouring your complimentary cocktail). The rooms and accommodations are lush, but overshadowed by the amazing staff and level of service you get from every guest service interaction. The bartenders remember you from a year ago and make you truly feel like the missed you when you left the last time. My last trip to Milwaukee, I was joined by 8 close friends from across the US. We all stayed at the Iron Horse and I'm being asked to make sure we get our reservations in now for next year as they will never stay anywhere else again either. If you're there on a Sunday and don't have the brunch, you're a fool!

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room, but prefer the view of the bridge and the Harley Museum
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ladera Ranch, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We flew from CA to WI for a wedding with our 2 small children (ages 4 & 8). After flying all day and arriving at the Iron Horse we checked in and immediately went to eat at their restaurant. The food was horrible! I ordered the fish which was had no taste. My husband ordered a steak and could not figure out what was baked on top of it. After dinner we were exhausted and looking forward to going to sleep.....but we never did! You would think that when we checked in with KIDS at they would put us far away from the thursday night "biker night" noise, but instead we had a room that over looked the "Great Room" where there were 200 people watching a movie and yelling all night until 11:00, and since the other end of the room over looked the parking lot with the motorcycles we got to hear their engines revving up ALL night long until 1:30AM and then again at 7:30AM when some people came back to get their bikes after they sobered up! That morning I asked to be moved which they said yes. I packed up our weeks worth of clothes and moved to our new room and unpacked then looked out the window and saw we were in the same spot just 2 floors up!!! I asked them again, to move us away from the motorcycles explaining I have 2 kids that have not slept because of the motorcycles, so they moved us again and now we got to listen to the train that went by at night!! Worse hotel I have EVER been in. We called one night to get dessert brought to our room and they said they ran out of food and only had a peanut butter sandwich!!! I called housekeeping 3 times to get extra towels brought to the room and no one answered! There breakfast was greasy the next morning. I would never go back again and would NOT recommend for people with kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Amanda D
Oak Creek, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I went to the Iron Horse for brunch with a few friends a while back. We did not have a good experience. I wrote an email to let them know...I wasn't looking for anything returned rather that I would be going other places in the future.

I received a prompt response and a promise to make it better the next time from the manager. I finally scheduled a return visit for this weekend, drinks out in the Yard before my group headed out to a wedding.

Safe to say our experience was night and day better than our previous trip. The food was amazing and the sangria worth writing a review about. :) The staff was very attentive and made sure we were pleased with our afternoon out.

Thanks much!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michele K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The Iron Horse is an amazing hotel lcated right across the river from the Harley Davidson museum. The staff are kind, helpful and the rooms are simply stunning. Not so close to the downtown area but good enough. Would stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I travel extensively for business and pleasure and this was truly one of my most favorite experiences. The interior design was fab , the people really nice and accommodating , the restaurant Delish. I will definitely be back. I will find a reason to return to Milwaukee just to go here. Trust me. You don't want to stay anywhere else !

• Stayed August 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our first stay and not our last. Don't let the out of the way location turn you off. It is within walking distance of great restaurants and the river walk, and an easy walk to the lake front.
Loved the funky rooms, very comfortable beds and lots of great pillows.
Hooks for jackets and benches for helmets. Great rain shower! And a first for a hotel, dimmer switches everywhere. The valet staff went out of their way to accommodate our big truck and trailer. Every staff member we encountered provided exception friendly service.
They even provide ear plugs because there are train track nearby, but we never heard the train but the inroom refrigerator did produce a loud hum so the ear plugs came in handy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple