“Unique decor, great service everywhere but restaurant...”
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Madison, Wisconsin
“Unique decor, great service everywhere but restaurant...”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Love this place and not just because it has no real competition in Milwaukee. Great staff, interesting decor, good location in a difficult city to love for a three day vacation. Restaurant was super slow for dinner since the patio was PACKED and likely this overwhelmed the kitchen.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We love being the place to be in Milwaukee and as you mentioned we can fill seats quickly, especially the Yard. It is our goal to make sure that every person is taken care of and I am sorry that service was slow that evening. I hope you will see us again next time you are in Milwaukee.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Wimbledon
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed for one night and loved the bedroom which had a boutique/industrial style to it. The toiletries in the bathroom were lovely. Public areas were a little gloomy and service at breakfast was very slow.

Room Tip: Avoid the railway line if you're a light sleeper - although ear plugs are provided.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review! I am sorry that you had slow service during breakfast. I promise that is not the norm and I hope you come see us again to see for yourself!
Sparta, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was overnight in Milwaukee and decided to stay at the Iron Horse. There is only valet parking and the nightly guest rate is about $20. Unlimited in and out though. Staff was very welcoming and I noticed they had a personalized bowl with treats at the front desk for guests with dogs. The sign by the bowl actually had the names of the dogs on it, welcoming them to the hotel. The feel was very modern and industrial. My room had a huge bed, chair, tv, and desk. Free wifi throughout. The walls were natural brick. Bathroom had Kohler fixtures, including a rain shower style shower head. I'm a big guy and this place had the first robe that ever fit me, which was very surprising and enjoyable. There is a big, well stocked fridge in the room. It even had enough room for my Green Machine to stay cool. Tv has a sleep function, which I really enjoy. The pillows were numerous and extremely comfortable, including a long tube like body roll pillow. Surprisingly, the bed was not as soft as I would have thought for a pillow top. It was comfortable, but seemed to be made more for durability ;-) When I came in after my meeting, the lobby and bar were hoppin'. Lots of singles and couples throughout, relaxing on the numerous couches and enjoying the bar. It is very close to the casino, Harley museum, miller park, Lake Michigan, and the Petit Ice Center, but it is a destination in and of itself.

Room Tip: I was in 316, which just had a view of the hotel entrance and a roundabout. I would suggest trying...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 6Foot6
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
The Perlick systems (mini refrigerators) are pretty big. I am not surprised that they were large enough to hold what may be the largest bottle of Naked Green Machine I have ever seen. Thank you so much and come see us again soon!
spalover30
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Accomodating. Friendly. Easy. Words I would use to describe the staff and the stay at Iron Horse. We had the Sunday Sounds package. After arrival, we went out to "The Yard" and listened to a great band. Our package came with a bucket of four local bottled beers. Fun! The room is also cool. Nice touches and unique finishes. Our view was the band and the seating area. When my boyfirend wanted to watch the U.S. Open Golf, the staff worked hard to meet our needs and get it on the t.v. at the interior bar which was closed on Sundays. We then were able to watch the golf while we played games of pool. We went back and forth to the outside area all through the evening and had appetizers later on out there. The feeling was a larger scale bed and breakfast experience really.
In the morning, we were a little confused about our included "On The Go Breakfast" and we ended up in the breakfast serving are in the library room. The staff again was so accomodating and made it that we could dine in as opposed to hanging our room service sign to get the to go option. They just make everything work for you.
We took a walk from the hotel in the morning and ended up walking probably three miles. Just checking out downtown areas and old buildings. We walked all the way to the Milwaukee Public Market.
I hated to leave The Iron Horse. Truly unique. There is really no need to leave at night. It is the kind of place you immerse yourself in. Nothing but positives to say!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunday Sounds in the Yard is one of my favorite things that we do at the hotel. The day you were with us was the day the Blue Ribbon Band was playing and they are fantastic. Thank you so much for the review!
East Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Iron Horse Hotel is definitely higher class. You definitely get what you pay for - everything is modern, sleek and clean. The shampoo and conditioner samples in the shower were amazing! The front desk attendants were extremely friendly and helpful. We traveled with our dog Frankie - and truly, the Iron Horse Hotel has dog friendly staff.

However, the only drawback was the area provided for pets to relieve themselves. It's just a small trip of grass near the valet parking lot. It may be more conducive to smaller dogs. The only thing I'd change about the hotel is to provide a slightly larger place for pets to potty.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
You are so right when you say we really are pet friendly. I have said it before and I think it is worth saying it again, if you bring your pup with you be prepared to be stopped multiple times by our staff because they are going to want to pet them. Thank you so much for the review.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I organized a two day meeting at the Iron Horse and everyone had a great time. The hotel is very unique.....and beautiful. The manager, Janine was extremely pleasant and helpful to deal with. My attendees have decided this was a great venue for meetings and plan to use the venue in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Janine has been with for several years and I know when I see her I should be ready to laugh. Thank you so much for mentioning her!
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife, adult children and I used the past weekend to visit Milwaukee for the first time. The Iron Horse made our getaway a special weekend we will always remember. The staff seemed to always anticipate what we needed. From the wait staff in the restaurant to housekeeping, everyone seemed to have the same goal - make our visit exceptional. An incredible bonus we were stunned to find that the hotel went beyond pet friendly. The Iron Horse pushes the envelope toward pet welcoming. When you arrive your dog's name is on the welcome blackboard to the gift bag (treats, bowls and toys). Also, plenty of comfortable walking space around the hotel. The location is fantastic - easy access to so many attractions (Miller Park, casino, Harley Davidson and Great Lakes Distillery) and plenty of restaurants. We had a fabulous stay. If you have the opportunity, staying at the Iron Horse will elevate your trip to Milwaukee. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends