“Brilliant boutique hotel”

The Iron Horse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed January 17, 2013

From the arty decor to the exposed brick and beam of this converted warehouse to the flawless service and the lavish rooms this is every bit as good as reviews suggest. A funky, trendy hotel that makes a business trip memorable but does all the basic hotel stuff very well. Lovely rooms, great service, good food from a nice restaurant and a pretty awesome range of local beers in the excellent bar, this is a place I'd happily return to at the drop of a hat.

Room Tip: floor 5 or 6
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

I am so happy to hear that you had a good time with us. If we can provide an enviornment where people have fun even when they are staying here for work, then we are doing our job. Thank you so much!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,733)

Reviewed January 15, 2013

For my husband's birthday, I surprised him with a trip to Milwaukee, staying at the Iron Horse. Although the location is not ideal, the hotel itself is beautiful and interesting. It is by far the most luxurious hotel in Milwaukee--we have stayed at most of the well reviewed hotels in downtown Milwaukee, and I can say without a doubt that this is a step above. The lobby is gorgeous, and worth a trip in itself. The food is great. The room is unique, comfortable, and artistic without being kitschy. And, the main selling point for me: the bathrooms are extravagant, bathrobes included! - Anna (Tim S's wife)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and for this great review! I hope that your husband had just a great of a time as you did for his birthday. We would love to have you back and if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable please feel free to reach out to us!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Since my daughter and husband lived in Milwaukee, we have been able to enjoy this hotel when we go to visit. We love the uniqueness of it. The industrial look coupled with the "Harley" theme is so well done. The staff has always been pleasant and helpful. Love the rooms,the decor, the amenities, the earplugs in case you are not a train lover. (My husband and I personally find the train sounds comforting). The food is good, better than most, with some thoughtful prep. The only bad thing is my daughter moved to Denver! Now we will have to find an equally comfortable place in Denver.b

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mimi426
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

We are very grateful that you have chosen to spend your time with us for all of your trips to Milwaukee. We wish your daughter all of the best in Denver and if you should return to Milwaukee for any reason, we would love to have you back!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I realize my overall score does not correlate with the rest of my ratings. Here is why...we thought we were in for a "special" experience with our first trip to the Iron Horse hotel...the place is really uniquely and neatly decorated, and it has a great bar/restaurant/lobby scene with a very welcoming staff. The rooms are really nice too, but there is one serious problem that ended up ruining our stay. The rooms (at least on the 6th floor) must have paper thin walls. We heard EVERYTHING from the room next to us. Everything! From every word on their television program, every fart (seriously) and sneeze, to every personal request during their intimate sessions (yes, plural and I am still being serious). I actually don't think they were being unusually loud most of the time, but it sounded like they were in the room with us. We did have to call down and ask the staff to request them to turn their tv down after they passed out, which the staff did without hesitation. I am actually quite surprised that there are not more negative reviews detailing this problem. We are well traveled and have stayed in many nice hotels and many not so nice hotels, but these were the thinnest walls we have ever come across. Too bad that such a cool place overlooked such an important detail.

• Stayed: January 2013
7  Thank JI3

I am so sorry to hear that you encountered issues while you were with us. If you have time I would very much like to speak with you in regards to your stay. My email is jvalona@theironhorsehotel.com. I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Amazing vibe, amazing crowd, great location, best service I've ever received in a hotel. Best to valet park. Everything is nearby, including the casino. This is not a chain hotel, and completely unexpected.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

It is wonderful hear that you had an amazing time while you were with us! We would all love to have you back the next time you come to Milwaukee!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and i chose the iron horse to celibrate our 20th wedding anniversary. It was everything we had hoped it would be. The staff was very professional polite and cool as could be. Bartender was a packer fan but he was cool enough we didn't hold it againt him. Great food-better than most. Didn't mind the 25 dollars for parking either. The room was super cool too! We will definately be back only next time with the harley!! Thanks to all the staff at the iron horse for making our anniversary something special!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Congratulations on your 20th anniversary and thank you for spending such a momentus occasion with us! It is such an honor that you chose to spend that time with us. Thank you and we can't wait to see your bikes!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Iron Horse is my favorite hotel in Milwaukee and among my favorites worldwide. Everything about the hotel is thoughtful...from the front desk staff offering a complimentary cocktail upon check-in, the overall interior design with lots of leather and industrial accents to the perfectly appropriate amenities in the room.

Room Tip: Corner rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JRAS-GDS

Thank you so much for coming to see us while you are in Milwaukee. It is so great to hear that our guests come back and have just as great of an experience as they did before. Please let us know if there is anything that we may help you with next time you come to see us!