The Iron Horse Hotel
Ambassador Hotel(Milwaukee)
$169
$128
$117
Potawatomi Hotel & Casino(Milwaukee)(Great Value!)
$172
$178
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
1,845 results
All reviewsthe harley davidson museumsmyth restaurantcorner alcovemattress factorywelcome cocktailoutdoor barrain showerboutique hotelexposed brickcool hotelfavorite hotelgreat barlight sleeperawesome hotelrooms are spaciousfrom chicagohigh ceilings
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Iron Horse. It is just a unique place. First and foremost, I just LOVED the decor! The industrial vibe is just super cool. Dark leathers mixed with iron and steel beams and brick walls,,,gah! Totally did an awesome job with the decorating! The bed was super comfy and shower was large. Huge mini bar and snack selection. A couple negatives-luckily it didn't affect my sleep but when the man in the room next to me checked in, he called his wife and I could hear his whole conversation. And also in the am when first his cell phone alarm, then his wake up call and lastly the room alarm went off, I heard them all! I think this may have been because of the adjoining room door between our rooms. That was the only noise I heard while I was in my room. Since this hotel allows dogs and I saw quite a few, I was surprised that I didn't hear any barking. People even had dogs in the bar! I didn't even hear outside noise. The other negative we're the drink prices in the bar. The drinks were good and well made but $15 for a margarita full of ice I steep by any standard. I had two and wasn't even close to tipsy and I'm a lightweight. I think for that price they should have been a stronger drink. The bar food was awesome and well priced for the quality. I didn't get to try Smythe since I was there on a Sunday and they are closed. I had breakfast in The Library and wasn't at all impressed. I'm not a breakfast eater but thought I would try it since it got good reviews. I ordered an egg white omelet that was supposed to have roasted veggies in it. The veggies were raw and the omelet was super oily. The whole point of ordering and egg white omelet is reduced calories. I don't think you want it to be oily! It also came with fruit that looked like it had been in a bowl for a few days or possibly previously frozen. The best part of the meal were the coffee and toast. The bill was around $20 for just me! Pretty ridiculous! I would stay there again if I got a decent rate but wouldn't waste money on breakfast. I also wouldn't hang out in the bar again because of the prices but it would be a nice place to end the evening and have one before bed. The service in the bar was great and attentive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at The Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

I am happy to hear that you had a great time with us with the exception of a few bumps along the way. We strive to always be on top of our game and to hear that we left you with a bad breakfast impression is something that we would like to correct. Thank you for letting us know and I hope next time you stay with us it will only be smooth sailing.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

If I could, I would have provided a rating of 3.5. Lets begin with the team. They were all perfect - from the time we called to make a reservation to check out. Well done! During our stay, the hotel was really lively, so if you like that the Iron Horse is for you. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. It reminded me of Hotel Monaco during their wine hour in the afternoon. And like Hotel Monaco, The Iron Horse is pet friendly and they list the names of the pets that are staying. We encountered two issues. One was a wedding part that made a huge amount of noise at 2AM. Not the hotels fault - I'm sure they hate this as well. Customers know there could be issues, so its how an organization deals with it that really matters. The staff took $100 off our room for the inconvenience. They also apologized. Apologies go a long way and I'm always surprised when one isn't offered. The second issue was an unclean toilet upon check in (and I mean unclean without getting into details). Our room was nice, very loftish, but you could hear toilets flushing from other rooms. The beds were very comfortable and the shower was excellent. You can't park your car yourself and parking is $25 so keep that in mind. In summary, I recommend the Iron Horse Hotel for business or pleasure. Staff... keep up the excellent service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

I am so sorry to hear about the issues that you had with your stay but I am so happy to hear that our wonderful associates did such a great job making it right. I hope that you will stay with us again and see how we are truly a five star experience.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Overall, the Iron Horse Hotel is very nice. There are, however, a couple things that I would've appreciated knowing prior to staying there. They may not apply to everyone. The shower is lovely, rainhead overhead fixture and a hand held as well. The issue is that in order to turn either of them on, you need to be in the shower. The doors of the shower are glass on both sides which are lovely, however, you enter through an opening on the opposite side of the faucets. So there's no way to avoid getting soaked with cold water. Additionally, because the floor has a slight slope to it, the water gathers in the back half of the shower and doesn't drain. Again as you exit the shower when finished you're walking through a puddle of cold water.

Room service is very uneven. Service is reasonably prompt, and the menu is great, however, the presentation is lacking. The soft drink I ordered with dinner was served in a can; no ice, no glass. For a $50 burger and salad, I want a glass. For breakfast, same kind of lack of attention to detail. At this type of hotel, I want real cream or milk for the coffee not disposable containers of pseudo creamer, and I want a spoon to stir the coffee, not a plastic straw. I'd like butter to be room termperature and in a container, not foil wrapped packets.

On the plus side, the staff is super helpful, attentive, and friendly. The decor of the hotel is killer, and the rooms are comfortable, spacious, all the technological goodies. I never heard a train or any other noise; I was on the top floor in a king deluxe room.

For a one night stay of $350, I would've expected an experience more along the lines of the high end Park Hyatt or Hyatt Grand, or JW Marriott -- as it was, I'd go back when I return to Milwaukee, though I don't feel as revved up about the hotel as most reviewers. Perhaps I'm just picky!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Denny1234

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. I have already passed along your comments to our Food and Beverage team so they can look at how to improve the overall In Room Dining experience. Constructive comments such as yours go a long way in helping us improve. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

As soon as you walk in, the rich dark interior welcomes you. The lobby is eclectic with gears, pallet tables and velvet chairs. We were offered a Strawberry Margarita upon checking in. The comfort extends to the rooms. Large shower with extra large rain shower and thick terry cloth robes. Because of some train tracks, ear plugs were provided but I only heard one train early Sunday morning and if I wasn't already awake, I never would have heard it. Smart Sexy hotel, we will definitely come back.We enjoyed the Sunday brunch-it was one of the best brunches we have ever had.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Our Route 66 Brunch is really one of the most unique brunches I have come across. The tiramisu pancakes are amazing! I am happy to hear you enjoyed it along with the rest of the hotel.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Iron horse for a few nights this summer. Really cool place with unusual decor in the rooms. The murals on the walls are really something. the rooms reminds me of a New York city loft. Location is great just over the bridge from the Harley Davidson Museum. Parking is free if you are on your motorcycle. The hotel is very classy catering to the business man and at the same time the biker. I recommend this hotel anytime you stay in Milwaukee

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for the review. The murals in the room are one of a kind and I love how they celebrate the women of Milwaukee. Should you come back to Milwaukee we would love to have you back!