“Mussel Heaven”

Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Chicago
“Mussel Heaven”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I love the decor, friendly staff, and ambiance of this restaurant. Their Monday night mussels are a must. I love soaking up the juices from the mussels on the bread and have been tempted to lick my plate clean. They offer a selection of seven different preparations of mussels for $7 per plate. My favorite it the mussels with the citrus buerre blanc. It is by far one of the best I have tried. I would highly recommend this as an eclectic wine bar with amazing staff and food.

• Visited February 2013

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Fun and cozy, great food and wine!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Such a fun and cozy place right off of Brady Street in Milwaukee. They serve in small plate style, so food and company can share. Wednesdays are always fun since it is Wino Wednesday, half price half bottle of wines! But in general, their wine selection is really good. And don't forget to try a Heckuva Brownie!

Visited July 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“Outstanding in every way except....”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Would have rated this at the highest level except for a slight miscue by the staff. The atmosphere, location and food are simply fantastic. Went here to celebrate my wife's birthday, which the staff knew about, but all she was greeted with was a "happy birthday" when we got the check. My wife was a little disappointed with that as most places at least provide a small token of celebration. We will be back however as the small plate portions were really outstanding especially the spotted cow beer beef that I had.

• Visited February 2013
usa
“Ambiance”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

It's a nice setting in the boho neighborhood of Brady Street. Food and service were good. It snowed an inch or so and I was wearing open Crocs so was dreading the walk home. We'll do it again as the food was tasty and there are many more menu items to try. Husband had a flatbread pizza I didin't try. I had crab cakes that were spicy with a chipotle aioli and they were good.

We will definitely return to this restaurant and I'll wear proper shoes for the weather!

• Visited January 2013
Glenview, Illinois, United States
“Some really great, unexpected combinations!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

While in Milwaukee, I looked up "Best Food in Milwaukee" and this restaurant came up on a few lists and my boyfriend and I love tapas, so we decided to try it.

The restaurant was pretty crowded (particularly the bar area), and there was no hostess anywhere in sight, so we had to find someone to take our names, but once they were put in, we were able to get a seat within 10-15 minutes.

Balzac is called a Wine Bar, but neither my boyfriend nor I drink, and I can tell you it was still well worth coming for dinner.

The menu is full of the most crazy delicious sounding dishes you have ever heard of. We got duck nachos, the balzac mac and cheese, chicken wings, and the mashers. It was all SO good. We still talk about it 8 months later.

Visited April 2012