“Great stay at the Pfister”
Review of The Pfister Hotel

The Pfister Hotel
Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I recently returned from a week long stay at the Pfister in Milwaukee. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay. The staff at the hotel is great and did a good job with check in, bartending, and cleaning. The rooms are nice with VERY comfortable beds, nice bath products (their spa brand), and new flat panel high definition TV and cable.

There are great places to eat within walking distance. Inside the hotel is a steakhouse / grill called Mason Street Grill. It’s a nice place to eat with a group or alone. They have a “single business traveler” section that is like a bar in front of the kitchen so if you’re alone and want to read the paper you’ll be comfortable there. The steak is good but ask for it with no extra oil. It had added oil which I did not appreciate. Within walking distance you will find a great quant Italian restaurant. I don’t remember the name (I think it started with a V) but it’s on the corner of Mason and Milwaukee. On Milwaukee, between Mason and Wisconsin, you’ll find a fun Cuban restaurant called Cubanitas, and a GREAT sushi and Korean grill called Sake Tumi. Sake Tumi was my favorite place within walking distance for a great dinner.

Be aware, the parking is expensive for Milwaukee at $25 a night. The gym is excellent and most of the cardio equipment has personal TV’s attached. The elevators are SLOW at high traffic times, plan for it as it could add a few minutes to your morning. Overall great stay. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DenverTravelGirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,994)

Reviewed June 30, 2008

Even if you have to drive 200 miles out of your way...Visit the Pfister! The Pfister is amazingly beautiful and elegant. The service is the best I have encountered while traveling. Our bed was perfect. The restaurant is fabulous. Everything we ordered was done perfectly. I would consider the meal the very best I have had anywhere. After dinner, we went up to the wine bar (full view of the city through a full wall of windows.) While enjoying coctails and listening to live jazz, we were treated to a fireworks display outside the windows. It was a magical stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dandm2006
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Anyone staying in MILWAUKEE simply must visit The Pfister. I've stayed there, maybe 20 times and (altho I travel a LOT thru U.S and Mexico mostly) I always say ths is my favorite hotel ANYWHERE. It truely is an old friend. From the minute I enter that incredible Lobby, I'm awed - every time. The location is perfect, the staff is always very attentive - especially the concierge. Be prepared to have to wait a few minutes for his attention as he's probably helping someone else when you arrive but he'll get to you as soon as he can. Let him make all your reservations in or out of the Hotel as it carries a lot of weight with local restaurants if it come's from the Pfister. You WILL get better service out and about. I always book a King Suite as it does have a separate living room with wetbar (unlike some hotels that call it a kingsuite. The bath is lovely with marble and heavy brass hardware everywhere. Do NOT book in the Tower section EVER - only book the Old section. If they say the Tower will give you a Lakeview - don't fall for it. Maybe it will maybe it won't. Probably it won't And the rooms just don't have the elegant feel. Definitely have a drink in the Lobby bar before dinner (altho there's one waitress there that's a real pill - just smile away and don't let her bother you). It's so comforting and like another time and place. Overall - it's an experience you won't forget- whether you stay once and a hundred times.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank gogirl51
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I stayed at the Pfister with two girlfriends at the end of March to celebrate our birthdays. (We are from Chicago and decided to take a little road trip!)

The first thing that we noticed when we arrived was how beautiful the historic part of the building is! It was right downtown and we were able to walk to quite a lot from there (although it seems the downtown shuts down on the weekends). The Lobby is absolutely beautiful! It has the grandeur of a Vegas hotel but everything is real & has a history, as opposed to Vegas where they fake it! (According to some locals we met, the 3rd floor in the historic portion is rumored to be haunted!)

The room was just as charming. Our room was in the tower so we had a lovely bay window, comfortable beds, and it was extremely clean. The vanity light bulb exploded when we turned on the bathroom light but someone promptly came up to clean it up and replace it.

They also have room service available for late night pizzas and they even threw in a few beautiful pastries for free!

The following day we had brunch in one of the restaurants there and it was absolutely delicious (I can't recall the name, but it was the more casual of the two)

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend! It was beautiful, professional, clean, and convenient!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Christina_Maria
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I stayed at the Pfister hotel for a conference and was very happy with everything they had to offer. The hotel beds are in my opinion the best beds ever. Every time I stay there I am very excited for a good nights sleep. The reception was great, knowledgeable and friendly. They did their best to check me in early and were very accommodating. There was one night we were rushed for dinner, so were going to dine at a casual dinning restaurant opposed to the Mason Street grill. However there was a manager who over heard us saying we needed a speedy dinner and he walked us down to the Mason Street grill and told them we needed to be in and out in an hour and the restaurant was very helpful in doing that. The hotel is a bit pricey, but I feel worth every penny. From the friendly housekeepers to the accommodating restaurant the experience was perfect.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank snowmoe23
Reviewed March 24, 2008

This was the second time that I stayed at the Pfister. First off, it has a great location. You are a few blocks from the lakefront and there are a number of bars/restaurants in walking distance. The lobby of the hotel is very nice and ornate. The rooms are very tastefully decorated. The shower was pretty good and there were good toiletries. The only thing that could have used improvements were the towels. They were pretty old and worn out.

I had breakfast in the restaurant in the lobby and it was pretty good. We had drinks in Blu which was on the 23rd floor and had a great time.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcd63
Reviewed March 3, 2008

We stayed at this hotel because we were attending a fundraiser there. I was a bit aprehensive of staying in an older hotel since being SO complpetely diappointed with the Millenium Knickerbocker in Chicago. We were in such a hurry when we whipped through the lobby that I did not notice how stunning it was. As we got to the elevators and waited I looked around and thought how nice it was that it was in such good shape for a hotel of it's age (built in 1893). We stayed in the old part of the hotel and I believ that it had just had a recent renovation. As I walked down the hall to our room I realized how wide it was. Had to be 15 feet at least. The door had a rounded facade with real knockers on them.

Our room was a corner room. I immediately was impressed with the stylish decor. The bed was fluffy adn fresh. The draperies were new and floor to ceiling. The furniture was very tasteful. There were updated acrylic lamps, flat screen tv and a side table stereo with a mp3 docking station that had satellite radio. I just thought that was so cool! There was a tall oversized mirror on the wall.
The bathroom was sharp! High end Kohler fixtures, Fresh fluffy white towels. Everything was neat and clean. (I'm pretty picky)This was spotless. The toiletries were nice. They even had a kit of q-tips and cotton balls.

After we were done with our event that evening we strolled the main halls and saw a very large collection of art on the walls. They have some display cases near the lobby with items that relate to the hotels history. I was finally able to enjoy the beauty of the lobby. You really must take notice of all the architectural details. The chandeliers were amazing. The staff was friendly and courteous.

The lounge on the 23rd floor called BLU was o.k. Overpriced and stuffy was my impession of it. It was horribly difficult to find a place to sit and two drinks cost over $20 with tip. They did however have cashews on every table and fresh flowers.

Hillary Clinton (& Bill) happenend to be staying there that same night. Wether you are a fan or not, it was pretty exciting to see them. There was a noticable amount of secret service agents.

We had breakfast at the Cafe before heading back home. The Eggs Benedict was the best I've ever had.
I am already trying to think of something fun to do in Milwaukee this Summer so that we can go back. Two thumbs way up!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business