“Elegant”
Review of The Pfister Hotel

The Pfister Hotel
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Pfister Hotel has been around for a long time for good reason. It is elegant and friendly. Although the hotel is very old everything is very clean and up-to-date. The staff is very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The bedding was so comfortable that I plan to call the hotel to find out what kind of sheets they use. I deserve to sleep that well at home.We enjoyed our stay.
The only quibble I have is that they charge for WI-FI.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,954)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is a very nice hotel and I would stay there again but, it is starting to show a lot of wear in the rooms. Although the rooms are clean, they need some new carpet and more electrical outlets near the beds to charge your cell phone (I use mine as an alarm clock). I had to unplug the lamp in order to charge my phone. I stayed in a Tower room and had a partial view of the lake. Water pressure for the shower was excellent (very important for me). Employee's were all great and the original hotel is beautiful. In a great location and you can walk to most anything in the downtown area. I rated the breakfast a poor just because of the value, the food was good but I thought it was way over priced. $20.00 for 3 pancakes, fruit and a cup of tea. The club Blu on the top of the tower is a must see at sunset. Like I said, I would stay at this hotel again without any problem and enjoyed my time there.

Room Tip: Request a tower room with a lake view for some stunning views. Go to the club Blu on top of the towe...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jon M
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was in Milwaukee for a triathlon that was held at the waterfront park downtown. This hotel was a short walk to the venue. I ate at the steakhouse downstairs and it was was fantastic. Great service and food. Had a drink in the bar on the roof that had unreal views of downtown and Lake Michigan. All windows accross the bar, really a cool set up. Rooms were very large. Also used the Spa for a massage and it wonderful and easy to set up. I had to call and move the time the day of the massage and it was no problem. Spa set up was on the first floor, very nice. The pool was also on the roof, rather small, but super nice views like the bar.

I would certainly this hotel if staying in downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Overall The Pfister Hotel is something to be proud of. It clearly is iconic for Milwaukee and I am thankful for the business in this city. We recently (couple of days ago) had our reception at the Pfister. The wedding was great and the service rooms, drinks, were everything I could have asked for. But I want to separate the wedding experience from the actual stay in the hotel room. The night of the wedding was part of the wedding package and we received a Presidents Sweet. That night was fine (drunk/tired.) We decided to extend our stay (in advance) an additional two days at the Presidents Sweet at about $300 a night. We figured, let's stay a couple of days and unwind from the wedding. What we didn't know is that the room that they gave us was right under the DJ on the main banquet room. Meaning trying to go to bed with walls that were vibrating at 8:00 p.m. just was not possible. Also the event above us opened the doors into the banquet room because it was too hot which resulted in additional sounds going through the hall way. I never complain and actually made an attempt to try and sleep through it but we simply could not with pillows on both sides of our ears. I went to place a call to request a room change....but then I realized the phone line was down. Later we found out (via a letter) that they were having issues with the phones. It's okay it happens. So I then went down stairs, explained the situation. The lady I spoke with actually acknowledged that this complaint from that room has happened before. She explained that most couples only stay one night (night of their wedding) it is usually not a problem (probably because their buzzed/tired). If you know this is a reoccurring issue, then why would you gamble on a customer? Especially when these customers have a tendency of choosing the Pfister to celebrate such an important time. Very nicely they then helped move us one floor down to an identical room. The next day (second day of two), our room was not pumping any hot water. No one had taken a previous shower or accessibly used hot water. We put in another call (phones were fixed) and they took care of it while we left the building for a couple of hours.

Overall Pfister is a great place I would continue to recommend. At that price and experience I would expect more. Unfortunately for one of the most important times in our life it fell short of expectations. This is probably not typical of the Pfister but unfortunately it impacted our stay. I would give them another chance. P.S. watch the Pfister History segment, really cool.

Room Tip: Don't get the room under the DJ/Dance Floor. Seems common sense to me but you would be surprise...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed at the Pfister Hotel for the Irish Festival weekend and it was a nice stay, comfortable, but nothing exceptional to warrant the price. This is actually my 3rd time staying at the Pfister. I have to say the location is excellent, right on Wisconsin Avenue a short walk to the festival grounds and also many restaurants. The Hotel of course is old but very clean, the service was also excellent, we stayed on the 5th floor and it was quiet. We stayed in a suite, there were 3 of us and we had plenty of room. The bathroom is roomy as is the bedroom, 2 queens. Also, I'd like to mention the pool and bar Blu. Both very nice with great views of the city of Milwaukee and Lake Michigan. But when I see what we paid for what we got (hotel room and parking), I think we could have done better.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank joanne m
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have been staying at the Pfister every summer for many years. It has always been the most upscale and luxurious hotel in the Milwaukee area. My most recent stay there was a few weeks ago, along with four of my daughters for the Milwaukee Irish Fest. I have to say that the splendor of the Pfister is not what it used to be, yet the cost is exorbitantly overpriced. We were given a room in the older, historic section of the hotel. The room was average at best - the beds were not very comfortable, and the view looked out over a dingy old building across the street. There were a few weddings on at the Pfister that night, and the noise from the drunken revelers in the main lobby at 3am woke us up more than once. The next day I requested to be switched to a different room in the tower. We were given a room on the 19th floor. The view was much better than our previous room, and it was quieter; however, this room was much smaller. And again, the beds were not very comfortable. Like our first room, this room was only average. The price we paid for this weekend stay (2 nights) was outrageous - over $600 - and that was with a AAA motor club discount! We did not have anything fancy and no extras for that amount of money. It was a standard double room, and the only thing included in that rate was parking for the two nights. Not even a continental breakfast was included, and we never even used one item from the stocked mini-bar in either of our rooms. One of my other daughters was also in Milwaukee that weekend for the Irish Fest, and she stayed at a different hotel just down the street from the Pfister. Her hotel did not have all the "fluff" of the Pfister; however, it was still a lovely hotel. Her room was bigger than ours at the Pfister, and for the price she paid for her two-night stay (about $300 - less than half of what I paid), she and her friends received complimentary amenities along with a huge breakfast buffet each morning.
So I'm sorry to stay that for next year's trip to Milwaukee, I will be looking to stay at a different hotel. The Pfister needs to step up its game - lower their outrageous prices, and include more within a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: If you want a more private, quieter room, ask for a room in the tower building. Although the rooms i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cliara30
Omar N, General Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Cliara30,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We at the Pfister Hotel strive to exceed our guest expectations at all times, and in your case we failed. I would like to speak with you in person should you have time, please contact me at 414-390-3829 at your convenience.

O. Naimi

Reviewed August 27, 2013

From the moment we walked in absolutely exhausted after a difficult journey we were made to feel welcome. We decided to pay the extra for the use of the Club Lounge, $30 per night for the use of free wi fi, a cooked breakfast and a light evening meal. What can I say? On the 23rd floor, the room is very comfortable with lots of tables and chairs, and two computers. The room is run by a young woman who could not be more helpful. The view, especially at night is great and I sat up there in the evening enjoying a light bite and a drink.

We were told that our room (1115) was newly refurbished and it was very comfortable. If anyone from Pfister reads this, when you come to do up any more rooms make the sink units a little lower (we are not all 6' tall), shelves would be useful, and it is not the best idea to put the on / off switch for a shower right under the shower head. Placing it on the opposite wall would let you adjust the temperature without having to stand under water that is too hot or cold. A towel rail inside the shower would also be useful.

Right, that is the constructive criticism out of the way. Sitting watching the city light up at night is a wonderful way to relax, popping in to see the artist in residence is unique, and there are so many things to do near the hotel. The marina is only a short walk away, we took a boat trip on Lake Michigan, and got out of the August heat by popping into the Grohmann Museum, which I cannot recommend highly enough. If you like paintings and sculpture, the Museum is for you!

I didn't use the spa, but the pool is good and underused. There is a bar on the 23rd floor, but we never used it as we had the lounge next door. We also felt a little more secure at this hotel. You have to use your key card to be allowed to stop at the higher floors. There is an older more historical part of the hotel, but I asked to go upstairs and our 11th floor room was excellent. Very pleased and will stay here again when I am next in town!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple