New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
San Francisco, California
“Slipping”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've been staying at the Pfister for 8 years now on business travel. I've been growing more disappointed in the property with every trip - the rooms are in need of refurbishing - I've stayed in both the old and the new towers and neither have had any attention in years.But the icing on the cake this time was the appalling service in the cafe for breakfast. My order was not taken after 15 minutes so I walked out. The staff looked like they hated their jobs, they stood talking to one another instead of serving, they disappeared in the kitchen for ages, the attitude was the worst I've seen. I'll be booking into the Hotel Metro next door from now on!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank JessM510
JKurth, General Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
JessM510:
Thank you for staying with us over the years at the Pfister, and for your comments. I am certainly disappointed to read we have not kept up with your expectations in service and product, and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly at your convenience for some additional specifics.
I am excited to be able to share the Tower guest rooms will be undergoing a full renovation this spring, and this will follow the recent full renovation of our historic section of guest rooms. Our model rooms have been completed with the designer for the Tower rooms, and if your schedule permits I would welcome the opportunity to share these rooms with you. If you will not be returning to Milwaukee for several months, I would be very happy to also have you stay in one of the newly renovated rooms to let us know your opinion on them as well.
Please let me know when it is most convenient for us to connect with a personal call, and I can be reached at 414.390.3800. If you prefer to email a time for us to connect, my email address is joekurth@thepfisterhotel.com.
I wish you a wonderful and successful 2013 ahead, and look forward to speaking with you very soon!
Joe Kurth - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I stayed here over xmas break in 2012. The hotel is old, but it is quiet charming. It reminds me of some place that would be haunted if it appeared in a movie. Great entry room, staff was polite and warm without seeming fake about it, not an easy thing to pull off in my opinion. Room was ok, nothing too fancy, bathroom was redone very nicely. $40 Sunday brunch was spectacular. Amazing staff and food. Spa was equally impressive. One of the best massage I have had in a while and the massage room interior was by far the nicest and well designed. The shower was unlike any I have been in before. I will return.

• Stayed December 2012
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just spent two nights at the Pfister and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a great Christmas experience.

The decor of the Pfister has never been my taste so I typically stay at the Intercontinental or Hyatt when visiting Milwaukee. This year I wanted to make our Christmas a bit more festive so I decided to get a King Suite in the old part of the hotel. The lobby is so wonderfully decorated for the season and the lobby bar was wonderful with the fire burning, the tree nearby and live Christmas music. I very we'll may make a tradition of staying at the Pfister for my Christmas stay in Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Even room numbers in the old part of the hotel seem to face the street. Odd numbers have more of an...
1 Thank BrookynTraveler
Kenneth W, Front Office Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your holidays with us. As well your kind words and taking the time to share about your experience. We take great joy and pride in the hotel and especially with our holiday traditions we always hope that everyone can come and spend part of their holiday season with us. But again thank you and we truly hope to see you for many more holiday seasons to come. Best wishes and a happy new year.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed just before Christmas. Food, staff, atmosphere could not be better. Suite was very nice. Concierge knows everything and everyone worth knowing. Pianist in the cozy drink area was fun and obviously enjoys what he does. This was just a perfect place for pre-holiday holiday.

Mike

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much!! We are so thrilled that you not only got to experience the Pfister but got to experience the Pfister during the Holidays. It really is a special and wonderful place that brings the Holidays to life. Hopefully this becomes a holiday tradition for you and your friends and family. Thank you again. Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Beautiful hotel in the heart of downtown Milwaukee. Stayed for a pre-Christmas evening with friends. Within walking distance to museum, Summerfest Grounds, Third Ward, and some of the BEST restaurants in Milwaukee. Hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays. Room was clean and comfortable.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to share about your experience. We are truly blessed to not only work in such a beautiful and amazing hotel but a wonderful city also. Again we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels and a happy new year.

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The gracious staff made our visit to the Pfister Hotel perfect from start to finish. The hotel at Christmas is beautifully decorated and has many special activies to enhance your December visit. Everyone from the valet parking staff to the concierge went out of their way to accomodate our wishes and help make our stay at the hotel a success for the varied ages in our group. We can't wait to return for another stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the historic section of the hotel if you love gracious living!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laurette G
Kenneth W, Front Office Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experience. The Pfister does truly have an additinoal magic about her durring the Holidays. But the people are truly what makes the Pfister come to life. We are so thrilled you enjoyed your experience and we look forward to your return.

Deerfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife wanted a time warp for her birthday so we drove up to Milwaukee this past weekend for a two night stay in a King Suite on the eighth floor of the "old" building. We lived in Milwaukee for five years, and when relocating there in 1975 we spent many nights at the Pfister. We always preferred the older rooms to the "new" tower (new is at least 35 years in age). The original building has always been reminiscent of the hotels of my parents' and grandparents' generation, and I'm happy to say that the continuous ownership has preserved its character much the same as it was back in the day...the wide halls, the mummy doors, the mail chute. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The king suite has a large walk-in closet. Nice little added touches like two luggage racks instead of one, bath robes, umbrella, a fridge, and a box on the desk which looks like a humidor on the outside and has an electric power strip and USB cable inside. I've stayed at the Pfister from time-to-time over the years, and what impresses me is how consistently well-maintained the property has been, and the manner of competency of its service staff.

Room Tip: Stay in the original building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends