“Tops in Milwaukee”

Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Phoenix, Arizona
“Tops in Milwaukee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

From the moment you arrive you are surrounded by stunning, classic hotel architecture, professional and friendly service, quality food and drink, and posh appointments throughout. If Mad Men needs a place to shoot I am sure the Pfister lobby could do nicely. Whatever you reason for traveling to Milwaukee do yourself a favor and stay at the Pfister. More below:

Location: Right downtown and just 10-15 minutes from the MKE. Easy access to freeways. Walking distance to downtown offices, dining and cultural attractions.

Dining & Amenities: For a city hotel the Pfister has anything you might hope for: multiple restaurants and bars, pool, and a well regarded spa. The hotel's full-service restaurant was good and, by national standards, reasonably priced. We did not try the Mason Street Grill or Blu but both spaces looked inviting and it would have been hard to convince us to try something off property had we stayed in Milwaukee longer. The lobby bar was excellent.

Rooms: We had a room in the historic building on a high floor. The room was quite large and had high ceilings; giving the illusion of even more space. The furnishings were high quality and the bed was comfortable if not outstanding. The bathroom stood out for being elegant, large and well-lit. Our only complaint was that were were apparently a floor away from one of the hotel's banquet rooms where a party of some sort went well past midnight. Too much noise so close to guest rooms.

Other: Self-parking is available but not especially convenient to the historic building. I would have used valet even with the extra charge. There is a big distinction aesthetically between the historic building and the newer tower. While I am sure the tower rooms are fine they can't have the charm of the historic building.

Bottom Line: The Pfister is an excellent all-around choice should you find yourself in Milwaukee for any occasion. Families may find the hotel too formal but everyone else will appreciate the amenities and location. Very good value for the price; this establishment is closer to a five than a four star.

Room Tip: Historic Building
Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FirstClassFedora
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Thank you so much for the extremely detailed review. You seem to be a travel expert. We really do pride ourselves greatly on not only our hotel and amenities, but our customer service the most. We believe that is what truly sets us apart. Please do visit again soon.

Hotel Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel was built in the 1890's and they just don't build them like this anymore. The lobby and lobby bar and "hang out" areas were truly grand in a very old school way.. I could see myself hanging out in the lobby area for hours. The murals on the celing were beautiful and reminscent of the ones in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas (except these were truly old). Plenty of comfortable chairs and couches to grab a bite to eat and have one of the delicious local craft beers on tap. While in the hotel you feel like you're in a different era. There are rumors the hotel is haunted but I never felt uncomfortable. Visiting Major League Baseball teams stay here and supposedly the Marlins won't stay here because they think it's haunted. I don't believe in that sort of thing but I'm sure the look of the place inspires those sort of rumors.

The staff is professional, well trained, courteous, and friendly. One quick example: my in-laws were driving up from Chicago and using GPS but due to street closures and detours they were having a hard time. A bell man with the name of "AJ" had no problem getting on my cell phone and explaining to my mother-in-law how to get to the hotel. Really helped.

The room: We stayed in a suite, room 628. The details are what make a hotel excel, and the details of the room were incredible: very high ceilings, incredible trim work and crown moldings, and a very comfortable king size bed with excellent bedding. Everything from the tiles to the doorknobs/doors felt old and ornate... but not in a bad way. So much more time went into making these details in the older eras. The room felt very clean. I normally don't do this, but I felt comfortable walking around barefoot. The bathroom was a bit small but had beautiful marble everywhere.

The 2 negatives:
1) Very thin walls. My family was greeted every morning by the couple staying in the room above ours, how can I say this, being very intimate. You could hear EVERYTHING. I don't think they were going out of their way to be loud... just very thin walls.

2) Cockroach: We were greeted one morning with a cockroach crawling across the carpet. This is a HUGE turn off for me. Nothing gives me the "heeby-jeebies" more than seeing one of these disgusting creatures. Perhaps they are tough to prevent considering the urban environment and age of the hotel.

Room Tip: Lake Michigan View
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim C
Omar N, Director of Operations at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear Mr. Jim C

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive feedback about our hotel and our Staff. We take great pride in the services that we offer to our valued guests.The lobby is indeed something amazing. The mural and the athmosphere of our lobby sets our hotel apart from many others making us a true original. I apologize for the pest that you found during youru stay. We have a very rigid program for pest removal and I appreciate that you took the time to bring this to my attention. Please feel free to contact me personally at 414-390-3829 if I may be of any further service to you.

Omar Naimi
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night to celebrate my birthday. I booked through the iprefer website which is their guest loyalty program. This is supposed to offer perks for its members. The woman at the front desk told us parking was a $25 charge which we were aware of. She said she upgrade us to a suite because it was my birthday. She was a super sweet woman and even had a birthday card and a treat sent up to our room.

When our bill was placed under our door in the morning we were charged $40 for business and parking. I questioned the front desk in this and they said this was for the upgrade and included parking and internet. The iprefer program is supposed to offer a room upgrade when available as well as free internet. I didn't ask for an upgrade so it seems silly to be charged for one because the desk clerk decided to give me a suite. Explaining the internet being included is not a selling point when I was already entitled to this perk as a member of their loyalty prigram. The charges were adjusted but it seems they need a better handle on how their loyalty program actually works.

We visited other establishments within the hotel and had excellent service. We hate stayed here over 15 times and wish they had a better way to recognize repeat guests which is why I can't give them a 5 rating.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank travellinggirl16
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I apologize that you had some issues during your stay. It seems there was a minor error in communication about the upgrade, it appears that you received a business class upgrade, not the iPrefer. I again apologize for the oversight, and look forward to having you with us again. Please don't hesitate to contact the hotel directly and ask for me, I would be happy to help with anything you might need.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel was fantastic. We received a full tour and showing of several room options by a gentleman who had been at the property over 40 years. It's the mix of these folks who have a real attachment to the property, its owner and the guests, and great food and art on-premises or closeby, that really make this the place to stay in Milwaukee.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deliteful
It's great to hear that you got such an amazing and personal visit with us. We are proud of our history, and it really shines through our associates. Thank you so much for sharing that with the world.

Howard, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

An amazing space filled with beautiful architecture, storied artworks, and the most courteous staff I've ever encountered. I stayed at the Pfister for three days and was welcomed with excellent hospitality, amazing food, and the best hot tea (White Ambrosia) from the cafe that I've ever tasted. I finally had to buy an entire tray to take home with me. Thank you, Pfister for a memorable and comforting experience!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michelle F
Wow, we can't thank you enough for such an amazing review. I am so happy personally that you feel at home with us. Please do visit again soon, we can't wait for your return.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

If you only have one night for business or a weekend for pleasure, be sure to stay at the Pfister in a King Suite. Also save time to book an appointment at the SPA for a massage or nail service as they are highly professional and top notch. The private changing room with steam shower is just for you alone, with an attached massage suite...very classy.

The lobby lounge is very cozy with a beautiful fireplace to relax with a glass of champagne. For a view of the city and Lake go to the top of the building to BLU for cocktails with a view!

Lovely hotel...lovely staff...lovely location...

Room Tip: King Suite on Broadway...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Thank you so much for that spectacular review. It is great to hear that you had such a wonderful time, as well for sharing your excellent recommendations. Please stop by and see us again soon, we can't wait for your return.

Mequon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

We wanted a special way to celebrate our friend's 40th Birthday that was both relaxing and enjoyable. However, we needed to fit it in while our children were in school. I called and spoke with the Pfister's Well Spa Event Consultant, Brittney, and she assurred me we could do just that at the Well Spa. I gave her an idea of what we wanted and she put together a fantastic day. Our group of four had two services each (fantastic massages and facials and great pedis/manis) as well as the Hammam Steam Shower. Each of us had our She reserved the Orchid Room for us (a private, beautiful room with comfy chairs to lounge in) so we were able to hang out and chat during our downtime. She even took our lunch orders ahead of time and we had our lunches in this room too. Fantastic salads, a beautiful fruit plate, and an unexpected Birthday dessert for our friend. In the past 12 months I have been to Kohler, The Osthoff, and Grand Geneva Spas so this is not my first trip to a spa. The Pfister Well Spa is a real gem in Milwaukee! Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sjbahr
JoshuaWolter, Hotel Assistant Manager at The Pfister Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
We like to think that our attention to detail is what sets us apart. I am happy that is what you experienced. A Happy Birthday again to your friend. Well Spa looks forward to your next treatments!