WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Clarion Hotel Airport

Clarion Hotel Airport
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
“Did not even get into our room...Gave away our reserved room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had reservations at Milwaukee WI Airport Clarion and at approximate 2-3pm date of my reservation I placed a call to the hotel to inform them that our party was checking in late and that we would be arriving after the Milwaukee Brewers game that we were attending. I asked the man if he needed to look at our reservations and he said no and that we only needed to check in by 7am the next day. When we arrived at 10:30pm we were informed that the credit card on file was not going through and they sold the room. They also claimed they called the phone number on file which was my house #. When I check with my wife who was home and she looked for any calls that were unfamiliar, she said she did not see anything. Also, no messages were left from Clarion.
This should have never have happened. If they needed to confirm payment to reserve the room for late arrival, the man I spoke to earlier that day should have mention that. He should have at least looked at our reservation and possibly confirm payment. Also, I indicated there were 6 people on my reservation. Did they not think that out of the SIX people in my party that we would not have had a valid credit card????? When the woman at the front desk told us of the situation, she said she knew that there were no other rooms available and we could check around. I asked her to make some calls and after approximately 7-10 min she said all that was available was in Racine, WI. I told her that was the wrong directions from home and that we would prefer something toward Madison and she said we should look. SHE DID NOT EVEN BOTHER TO HELP US LOOK AT ANY ADEQUATE HOTEL ROOM TOWARDS MADISON.
When I asked to speak to a manager, she said there was no manager available and that there was not even one available to speak to over the phone. She gave me his card and to call in the morning. I got hold a of him the next day and all he could tell me was that it was policy. There was no real apology but “I’m sorry this happened to you but that is our policy”. I guess the Clarion policy is that even if you call in advance to notify the hotel that you will be arriving late, they will sell your room from under you. I usually book my hotel stays with online travel broker where I pay in advance. Instead this time, for some reason, I decided to book via the Clarion (Choice Privileges) website where they do not require payment in advance. I don’t know if I entered a wrong number with the credit card but I can tell you there should have been NO REASON besides that why my credit card should have been declined. No messages were left to notify me of this as well. And like I said, THERE WERE 5 OTHER PEOPLE WITH ME. If this is Clarion’s policy, it lacks complete common sense. Looking at the Clarion confirmation there was NOTHING that alludes to this type of policy.
This was a horrible experience for me and the group of 6 that I was with. Along with the baseball game that night and Irish Fest that was going on in town, there were no other available rooms within a 90 mile radius. I have never stayed at a Clarion and was reluctant in booking this stay but after this experience I will NEVER stay at a Clarion or Choice Privilege hotel. I would rather spend twice the cost and have to spend another these hotels. As a business owner myself, it disappoints me that a company can be run at poor level.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RE_from_WI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed 3 nights. Clean room, comfortable beds. Just a few minor complaints, but overall, great for the price. Surprised that no one at the front desk had info on the city bus. Shower curtain needs to be bleached or replaced. Free breakfast is meager: donuts, oranges, orange juice, coffee period. Complimentary shuttle back and forth to the airport is great. Beautiful indoor pool and fantastic workout gym. Would definitely stay here again. City bus drivers are very friendly and helpful. Catch the Green line bus right across the street from the hotel at the street corner coming out of the airport. Get off at Water and Wisconsin to catch a bus to the ballgame or the art museum or anywhere in town basically. Just ask the bus drivers who are glad to help.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobbily
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Do to the calamity which befalls all travelers by air, I un-expectently found myself grounded in Milwaukee. The nearest hotel/motel is the Clarion. This refuge of sanity is 3 minutes or less by the shuttle provided by the hotel. The shuttle runs 24/7, and is available on a moments notice.
The front desk staff is courteous and helpful. Adjacent to the lobby is a common lounge, in which is supplied the complimentary breakfast(sweet rolls, coffee, juice) in the AM.
In the basement, or is it PC to say: in the lower floor, lies the restaurant and bar-lounge, and the meeting rooms. Decor is art, mostly modern reproductions, prints, etc.
The price is right: my room had 2 king sized beds, A/C thru the wall--not loud, TV with umpty- ump channels . The bath room was typical for such a facility. Yes, it was clean( I even checked under the sheets before lying down).
The only downer: long hall ways, the elevator is halfway down the hall.
Would I do it again; YES.

Room Tip: Get a room closer to the elevator, but not next to it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank privatedetective
sharonowner, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thanks for sharing the positive comments on the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center. We also have a full size gym, Sweeney's Gym, that is open 24/7 and 18,000 sq. ft of banguet area for meetings, weddings and parties.

Sherry Rupena
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night. I arrived late and wanted to get from the airport quickly and go to sleep! The Clarion bus picked me up in 3 minutes. My check-in was fast and my room was small but spotless. My room was so quiet that I could hear a pin drop! The carpeting was brand new. The mattress was very ideal in my opinion and the feather pillows were exactly the squishy type that I like. The bathroom was clean and spotless. I am the type of traveler that likes to take a bath. This bath was clean, clean, clean. Even as I soaked in the tub and stared at the walls, I saw only cleanliness and tidy grout. The parking lot felt safe even though I arrived late at night. The restaurant was nice and the staff was friendly.

The best part was the GYM! Wow! It was a privately owned gym that was housed in the Clarion hotel, but outside people could come and be a member. So the equipment was for the serious type of fitness buff. Lots of mirrors and tons of different type of equipment. There were some bodybuilder types there and the staff/trainers were very knowledgeable about fitness, etc.

This will be my Milwaukee Airport hotel for sure!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sharonowner, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Thanks for the nice comments.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

On July 23rd, 2012 @ 11:15 p.m., we happily walked into the lobby and told the woman at the service desk we had stayed at the hotel previously and really liked the room we were in. She stood there, looked at me blankly and said, "Well, if I don't have your information, how am I suppose to know what room you were in." Not how I expect to be greeted, nor had I ever been treated so rudely at this hotel.

Quite unfortunate, as we have stayed previously and found the hotel clean, quiet, reasonable, and professional.

Surely they can find staff with more highly developed customer service skills.

Very distasteful.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Quest101
I agree! There is no excuse for rude behavior. My Hotel manage is looking into the situation and it will be handled. Thank you for bringing it my attention.

Sharon Rupena
Owner
Linden, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

The room was clean, equipped with a microwave and a fridge. Almost 100 channels on TV, including HBO, Hallmark and Cinemax. Free internet connection in the room.
There is a very nice swimming pool open 9am - 10pm, and the gym is open 24/7.
Free coffee, juice and pastries (doughnuts and muffins) every morning in the lobby.

What is the most convenient is the location of the hotel, only 3 minutes from MKE airport.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

First room did not have a refrigerator, requested another room with one in it, there was one available. Room was clean, carpet was older. Extended stay for parking was $7 daily. Single bed & Double bed room size was plentiful. The Hotel offers coffee/orange juice/roll in the morning 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. - no continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milwaukee
BEST WESTERN PLUS Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Conference Ctr.
Holiday Inn & Suites Milwaukee Airport
Comfort Suites Milwaukee Airport
Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#23 of 54 in Milwaukee
Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport

Been to Clarion Hotel Airport? Share your experiences!