“Everyone was nice, the hotel was clean”

Knickerbocker on the Lake
Ranked #39 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Plainfield, Illinois
“Everyone was nice, the hotel was clean”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here during summer fest week due to it being a walking distance to the campground and it's availability and price. We checked in early and we were able to snag the last parking spot, they get really busy during summer fest week. Checking in was quick and easy, all the staff were really nice and friendly, we were really pleased with their customer service. We finally got in our room and I would have to admit that it was very outdated but everything was kept clean so it was okay. There was a weird smell in the room, kind of like old lady perfume or moth balls which bothered me at first but we did not stay much in the room so it was okay. The location is probably the best feature of this hotel, it was walking distance to everything! Overall this hotel is very charming I like the character it has, don't change anything except maybe just get rid of the moth ball smell.

Room Tip: If staying here for summer fest, arrive early to get a parking spot
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank wowok2travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed July 5, 2014

As a disclaimer I understand that this was the 4th of July weekend. My wife and I came in to stay close to summer fest and drove in. We reserved this hotel because they advertised an onsite parking lot for guests of the hotel. We arrive and they tell us we can't use their parking lot because it's sold out and had zero recommendations of where to park.

We drove around the neighborhood for about 45 minutes to locate a parking spot that was about a half mile away.

The second strike against this place is for whatever reason housekeeping never came by to pick up the room, replenish the soaps, etc. I was quite shocked by this, as we checked out the following morning we made mention of this to the front desk and the staff member seemed to not really care which was kind of disappointing.

I'm probably going to look somewhere else to stay next time I go to Milwaukee, I really like historical hotels and charming little places, this one really let me down. Especially a let down for the 179.00 rate we had to pay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael T

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Woodstock, MD
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I love this place and it is the only spot I would choose when in Milwaukee. It is a converted apartment building that now contains condos and rentals. The neighborhood is fantastic and it is a short walk to all of the lakefront festivals. Don't need the sheets turned down or a mint left on your pillow every night? This just might be the spot! Friendly, spacious, convenient & clean.

Room Tip: Ask for the Junior Suite!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rick H
Franklin Grove, Illinois
Reviewed April 20, 2014

What a wonderful find in the heart of Milwaukee! We walked to the lakefront (a little chilly, but still only April), to the fabulous Art Museum and the Children's Discovery Museum. The lobby is a beautiful art deco blast from the past. The room was perfect, with a kitchen and partial view of the lake. The Italian restaurant has a great Happy Hour deal with drinks and appetizers. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Much more fun than a typical chain hotel. Price was good, especially for the location. If I could take off half of a star for the parking, I would have given 4-1/2 stars, but I definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Plenty of room in a studio
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sunnyday711
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I used to stay here for business. Weird hotel. Kind of place you would think is haunted. It's overpriced and definitely not your typical hotel. Overall I never really had any problems and it was always clean. I guess if you want something unique then I recommend this place.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Limes77
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I used to live just up the street, & this location is one of the best you can get for downtown. I really liked the historic nature of the hotel - lovely lobby, even the hotel room doors have character (used to serve as laundry pick-up spots in the olden days). The old fashioned bathroom was small but cute - it would be a shame to ever remove the old fixtures. My room (818) had very nice hardwood floors, all new stylish kitchen cupboards & counter. Generally very attractive & comfortable. But don't look too close - while it is clean by the majority of people's standards, I could see the cleaning staff did only a cursory swipe. The grey glup around the bathroom sink faucets which I immediately saw? I assumed it must be calcified or hardened, or how else could a cleaning person miss it? But nope, one swipe with a bit of toilet paper and it was gone. And when I took a plate out of the cupboard to heat up the pervious night's leftovers? A look at it in the light showed it also got only a meager swipe, and was not really thoroughly washed - same for the next plate. (And one can only imagine what the cleaning person wiped it with...) And while the room was attractive, a look at the colorful paint on the walls showed some sloppiness as well (colors bleeding into each other where they meet, and not fixed). As for the staff, my initial impression was very good, as they gave me a reminder call about my reservation a day or two before. But the actual girl who sat behind the counter when I arrived was apparently there just to occupy the seat - certainly not to welcome anyone. The man occupying that same seat in the morning was pleasant, professional, and helpful. A bit of a mixed bag.
I would definitely stay here again - and the hotel itself has a good bit of charm to it. It's the staff (cleaning & front desk), for the most part, that let it down.
Also, about the parking - I was lucky enough to get street parking right in front of the hotel, after meter time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank WItravelingirl
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is perfectly located between Downtown and Eastside Milwaukee, Clean rooms.. The Lobby can be improved. corridors carpets needs to be changed as it does look old and dated. otherwise an excellent choice to be in downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business