“Beautiful Hotel!!”

Knickerbocker on the Lake
Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed August 29, 2008

This was a beautiful, newly renovated hotel. Great location with a lovely park on the lake across the street. Paid $139 per night the weekend of the Irish Festival. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were small but charming with a fully equipped kitchen and large walk in closets. The city bus system was excellent. We took the bus to the zoo (less than 30 minutes). Walking distance to shopping and restaurants. There is an excellent India restaurant around the corner. The Nick also had excellent food. Would definitely stay there again. Loved it! MFW-Las Vegas

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 1, 2008

This hotel has a very nice homey feel to it, and, because of its age, is full of character. The lobby and the rooms reflect the fact that it was built in the 1930's in a positive way.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They did accidentally double assign the room, but were quick to apologize.

The hotel is right by the lake on a bluff, so the view from the extremely convenient and excellent restaurant on the front patio is of a park and through to the lake here and there.

We would recommend it, and we would go back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank exl500
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Here is the letter I sent to the manager. As of July 2, 2008, no response. This speaks to the lack of leadership at the hotel as well...I want to share my Knickerbocker hotel experience with you. Yesterday I checked in for a one night stay. (I live in the Milwaukee area but had a function at the Yacht club.) I chose your hotel, hearing nice things about its quaintness.

Upon reaching my room, the key did not work. Housekeeping could not open it either. So, in the hurry that I was, I had to go back down through the painters, and get one that opened the door.

The TV barely worked on any station, something I really didn’t care too much about since I was only there for the night, however with the severe weather and flood watches, it would have been nice to have reception on local channels.

This morning the alarm went off at 5:45am. Apparently the former room guest must have used. Housekeeping neglected to check this. Disgusted, I just got up. No hot water came out of the shower head. Yes there was hot water out of the sink and shower faucet but it would not stay hot coming out of the shower. So a bath was the only option. There was no Kleenex in the room, the hot water knob pull right off the sink and you have no coffee service or breakfast at your facility.

All I wanted to do was leave, which I did.

I ask you review the attached bill and make the appropriate adjustment. Personally, my stay was only worth the linen I used as there was no other service I used. I have shared this with my organization.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed May 15, 2008

While the exterior of the hotel is lovely, it gets worse and worse as you get further in. The lobby looks like it was frozen in time but is elegant. Upon check in you will be handed a key, yes a REAL key - when was the last time you saw one of those. Upon entering the elevator, you will be reminded of Disney's Tower of Terror - except the terror is real because you are in for the worst hotel room of your life. When (if) you reach your floor, you will find dimly lit halls and doors that could be bust down with one good push. The rooms are ancient inside and while the fresh coat of paint and cute decor dull the pain, nothing can eliminate the fact that the bathroom is not particularly clean, is too small and does not even have shampoo.

As a positive the location is near the lake.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed January 24, 2008

i really loved my stay at the knickerbocker on the lake....it was a great experience for me...i'm 20 years old and from altoona wisconsin (a VERY small town) and i was attending school at the adelman travel academy in west allis...i lived in room 412 for several weeks. seven to be exact...the front desk worker named aaron was above all expectations...very friendly and helpful...the desk worker after he left, brenda was actually a bit snippy and rude....i had my family and business associates calling the main number asking to be transferred to my room and she would not only answer the phone annoyed but transferr them over w/o saying yes, okay, thank you, or anything at all....quite rude for someone working in customer service....i loved my room tho...quite small but perfect for one person...comforter was satin and the bed was comfy...the kitchenette was great offered almost all the dishes i needed. i did however have to buy stirring utensils and a strainer for pasta. the windows rattle to the point of banging on days with heavy wind flow. but that u can sorta get used to...the bad part was my room faced the back alleyway where the garbage trucks come and bang around twice in the early morning waking u up...luckily it worked as a great alarm clock for me to be up for school...lucky them i was a student and had no high standards...but overall my stay was exeptional and i appreciated greatly the help from aaron the front desk worker because w/o him i would've been lost multiple times....if you want friendly service and a nice place to rest your head the knickerbocker isn't bad....give 'em a try!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank chelsea_noelle20
Reviewed November 30, 2007

The name of this hotel is not to imply you actually can see a lake, it just means you're close to it. If you like very old hotels with no ammenities than this is the perfect dump if just looking for a bed to sleep in. The rooms are so old with 50 layers of paint piled over each other the doors don't close, the bed is generic and old, we needed a cot one night that apparently was from the titanic and 3 irons that didn't work. The hotel lobby has no gift/food shop and you cannot take beverages out of the restaurant connected. It reminds me of an old dorm from college with little maintenance and no modern amenities. Old hotels are not for people who actually want to be comfortable, just viewing.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank john1988
Reviewed November 10, 2007

We stayed in a 1bedroom that was lovely and fully updated with a beautiful view of the lake. The owner had had a professional designer do her place and we really liked it. We left for a few days to tour, and came back to be assigned a different room that I didn't like at all because of a bad smell. I politely informed the front desk, and they immediately moved me and my family to a new suite that was similar to the 1st one we had stayed in. It was also beautiful. Because the units are individually owned and some owners take better care of their place than others, you just need to be careful that you get a nice one. The staff was wonderful, and the location is perfect, right next to the lake. I will stay at this hotel again. I really liked it. Oh, and the restaurants downstairs were also good. It was walking distance to Summerfest, so we didn't have to drive much. We did drive a short distance to the Pabst Mansion from the Knickerbocker, but it was a short drive and worth it.

Stayed: July 2007