“Great value!”

Hyatt Regency Milwaukee
Ranked #20 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt for $62/night on Hotwire from July 31-August 2. We asked for a king-sized bed but when we arrived at 7:30 p.m., they were sold out and no longer had a king sized bed in a non-smoking room available. So they put
us in a Murphy bed that they called queen sized but was really full sized. They also gave us free parking ($20/day) for a $40 value and free breakfast for 2 people for 2 days ($64 value) if we would stay in that room. We did still have to pay for the internet $9.95/day. They do now have coffee makers in the rooms. They brought up tea in a timely manner upon request. This is an older style hotel built in a square where everyone can see everyone else going to their rooms on any side of the square. Our room was small, but they told us that in the beginning. I don't know what a normal room is like there.

Breakfast was amazing, but overpriced, so we wouldn't have eaten there if we hadn't gotten it for free. We did not eat dinner there. We ate at Louise's, an Italian restaurant on Wells and Jefferson. Wonderful! Great prices and great service! We also ate at Caldrone's across the street from the hotel which was also an Italian restaurant. It was terrible. Options were limited and service was slow. We ended up eating pizza which didn't have much of a taste.

Go to the Milwaukee Art Museum. I am not an art buff, but that place was awesome!!! It was part of a social event at a conference that I attended, which is why I went but I was so glad that I did!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Milwaukee

Reviewed July 14, 2008

I am a big fan of Hyatt. This hotel was not deserving of the Hyatt name. We arrived around 11 am and didn't expect our room to be ready. It wasn't. No problem. They asked us to come back in two hours and it should be ready by then. So we went to lunch and returned to find that it still wasn't ready. Ah, it's 1:30 - still excusable. We left again and returned about 5pm to find a registration desk loaded with angry visitors. Thankfully we were told that our room was already assigned. In fact, they thought they had already given us our keys. I assured them that we had not. They checked my id and issued us keys. So we asked the bellman for our bag before heading up to the room. It took him two trips to two different storage areas to finally come up with our bag about 12 minutes later. I tried to hand him a tip and he refused it because he knew we waited too long. Two of the elevators were in service. We got to our room to find that it was not ready. A sheet was on the bed and all of the other bedding was on the floor. It took a call to the front desk to find that we could not have another room but that housekeeping would be dispatched to come and finish the room. They arrived 10 minutes later and took care of the room. We ate at the hotel the next morning. All the tables around us were telling the waiter that their breakfast was being taken care of by the hotel. We visited the front desk and sure enough, they took care of ours too.

Honestly though, this property is in no shape to be called a Hyatt. It is a shame because the location is convenient and it definately has the potential to be nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HospitalityMatters
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I was excited to go to MKE and stay at The Hyatt. I guess I was wrong. The windows, carpets, bathroom, lobby are filthy. Stains in the carpeting and mold in the bathroom. Looks like my room was not updated for 20 years. Looked like the entire building needed to be scrubbed down. AC in my room did not work that well and would not cool down. Restaurant looked like a set out of THE GOLDEN GIRLS. I am surprised Hyatt continues to keep this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank ATLTRVLGUY
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed a couple nights at the Hyatt for Summefest, and we were not impressed. Good things include: location downtown. That is about it. Parking cost $20 a day to park in a run down parking ramp that is undergoing construction. I came back to a car covered in dust so thick I couldn't see out the back window. The rooms are plain, the lobby is plain. Really just a dreary looking hotel with an ugly ornamental *thing* in the center of the hotel. Should have stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Felix2692
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Very outdated hotel. Filthy windows, sparsely decorated rooms and common areas. Long wait for elevators was very common. I would not reccomend staying at this hotel if you are expecting what is usually a Hyatt. There are many nicer Holiday Inns out there.

2  Thank Getaway4Funnn
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We have stayed at this Hyatt 5 times in the last year.
We have had some sort of "issue" during each of our stays but, we have always brought the problems to the attention of the staff and have had reasonable responses and had the issues that were within the control of the hotel rectified.

Request a room away from the elevators (rooms ending in the 30's i.e. room# 632). We have always been put by the elevators even though we requested a quiet room. This last stay we were finally away from the elevators and got our first quiet night.

KNOCK BEFORE ENTERING YOUR ROOM THE FIRST TIME! When we checked in we went to our room and someone was already staying in the room! They say it is a problem with their system. We went to the front desk and got moved first to room a room right by the elevators but we caught it and she got us another room. To compensate for the error we got discount off our room for both nights and coupons for breakfast for both days ($16/each for the very basic breakfast buffet). After we finally got settled we noticed we were not in a Gold Passport room but were to weary to deal with it anymore.

The beds are comfy, the staff has always been polite. A great place to stay for Summerfest if you book early (Jan or Feb).

Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt this past weekend and it was alright. The room and public areas were clean and well maintained. The stafff was friendly. The main resturant was closed for a wedding reception so we ate in a fabulous German resturant down the street. The name was Mader's. (or Mayders? but ask at the desk, you can't miss it) The location was very convient in downtown Milwaukee and we found plenty to do in the area. It was also relatively convient to Summerfest. My only real complaint is that it lacked some of the "flair" that you tend expect from a Hyatt (and especially at the price). It was kind of like a Holiday Inn with nicer beds. Though in the lobby I did see what looked like plans to refurbish the whole place to more Hyatt-esque standards. Hotels in city centers do tend to cost more, so I didn't feel like I overpaid but I did expect a somewhat more memorable experiance. If I went back to Milwaukee I would probably stay there again.

Overall I'd say it was a nice hotel but nothing special.