“Good but not great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Key West, Florida
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt this past weekend and it was alright. The room and public areas were clean and well maintained. The stafff was friendly. The main resturant was closed for a wedding reception so we ate in a fabulous German resturant down the street. The name was Mader's. (or Mayders? but ask at the desk, you can't miss it) The location was very convient in downtown Milwaukee and we found plenty to do in the area. It was also relatively convient to Summerfest. My only real complaint is that it lacked some of the "flair" that you tend expect from a Hyatt (and especially at the price). It was kind of like a Holiday Inn with nicer beds. Though in the lobby I did see what looked like plans to refurbish the whole place to more Hyatt-esque standards. Hotels in city centers do tend to cost more, so I didn't feel like I overpaid but I did expect a somewhat more memorable experiance. If I went back to Milwaukee I would probably stay there again.

Overall I'd say it was a nice hotel but nothing special.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — it was somewhat lackluster
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

Was overall very happy with my stay here. Rooms were a little dated, but still in good shape, and very clean. I think they may be in the process of updating. People were very friendly, service was good. Was in a great location, and close to shuttle to Summerfest.

• Liked — Location, Clean rooms
  • Disliked — Little outdated
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank JP1975
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

I made my original reservation 6 months in advance and requested a room close to the elevators as I am handicapped and it is painful for me to walk, especially at the end of the day.
In the week prior to my stay I called the hotel again and made sure they knew of my request. At check-in, I once again requested a room close to the elevator. As I was early, the room was not ready (completely understandable) so we checked our luggage and later my traveling companion returned to complete the check-in for me. When I came back to the hotel I found that the room was absolutely as far from the elevator as it could possibly be. It was late, the hotel was fully booked and no chance of changing rooms at that point. I expressed my displeasure at check-out and only received a "Gee, I guess we dropped the ball on that one. Sorry."

So if you have handicapped requests I do not recommend you trust the Hyatt to honor them.

C. Graham

• Disliked — Did not honor request for location and room's cleanliness was not up to par
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank WildeJewels
La Verne, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

We arrived with an additional guest and asked for an additional room and was upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a murphy bed in the other room for our additional guest for free. The check in was great. Our room was very clean with a nice view of the river. We had a few drinks downstairs in the bar and found once again very nice people and good service. There was a valet charge of $23.00 per night. We had breakfast the next morning and it was good also. Very happy with my stay. Staff is very helpful and nice.

• Liked — free upgrade
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

I stayed there on business on May 18-19th. Check in was simple, valet was fine. The room was large and clean (though the toiletries were sparse).

I at at Knuckles, the beer was great and the portion (chicken fingers) was very large. One con, you can still smoke in the bar...and it's not a big enough place to avoid it.

The only 2 cons I had...1.) wake up service never called and 2.) I forgot my charger in the room and they charged me to ship it back to me. It's not that charging me for the for shipping is ridiculous, but after spending 200+ a night on the hotel - and having almost a dozen hyatt stays already this year, I would have hoped it would have just been comped.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dannykiv
Cumberland, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

I spent four nights at the Hyatt during a trade show/conference that I attended the first week in May. The trade show rate of $129 per night proved to be an excellent value compared to the other options in town during the same dates. (I compared notes with colleagues and associates who were staying at other downtown hotels.) The room was immaculate and nicely furnished, but slightly worn compared to other newer Hyatt hotels I've visited . Temperature controls worked well and the room was very quiet despite the hotel being nearly completely booked. The bathroom was definitely dated, but again very clean and fully functional. The service at the front desk was efficient and friendly.

Another plus is that this hotel is connected to the Midwest Airlines Convention Center by a sky bridge so there was no need to go outside unless you wanted to, and you could avoid wearing an overcoat, rain gear, etc. It was also a short walk to a large variety of good restaurants and the river walk.

My only frustration was that the elevators were very slow to arrive at my floor (7th), especially during busy periods in the morning and afternoon. Also, prices for breakfast are typical (i.e. outrageous) for a hotel of this caliber, but there were other options nearby and the overall value made up for it.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again, especially if I were in town for another trade show or an event at one of the arenas located nearby.

• Liked — Value & Location
  • Disliked — Slow Elevators
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwaukee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

Our Company had a "Spring Party" , dinner, dancing and what was suppose to be Hors d'oeuvres. Very cheap on all accounts. We were rushed through the dinner so fast that it was not relaxing at all. There were too many waiters which took our plates away before we even finished. One lady at our table forked the waiter and made him return her plate. From there on, we all had to pick up our utinsels to make a statement that we would "fork" anyone else who dared a repeat. We were all blue collar workers and not used to having someone put the dressing on our salads. They would not allow the bread or dressing to remain at the table. It was so loud in the place and we were constantly being bumped into by the "rush, rush" of the wait staff. The whole experience made all of us very jumpy and on edge. Not a very good experience for a night out with your spouse.

Furthermore, they had set up a cash bar for drinks, with only the minumum amount of liquor. We had to go to the bar downstairs to get Southern comfort. The bar downstairs was extemely overpriced and the bartenders were inconsistant on their pricing for the same drink. We had ordered 3 sets of drinks for the evening. First it was $8.50, then $9.75, then when we gave up the third time it was $12.75 for the exact same order. When we made mention of the inconsistancies, the bartender was very loud and rude, making everyone in the place stare at us.

The Hors d'oeuvres were such a joke!

I would not recommend this place for any company affair.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business