“Very Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
“Very Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

A very busy weekend for the downtown area: 2 university graduations, concert, WIAA goings on and the Hyatt Regency handled their fully booked hotel with courtesy and grace. We were attendees at the UW-Milwaukee graduation and fortunately squeaked in with a last minute reservation and per a review on this site, requested a higher level floor. We were on the 8th which was great-we could see the two arenas and the gathering mobs of graduates and families, the river and cruise boat, the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts and looked up the street to Usinger's. Great view.
Breakfast was a choice of great buffet, or off the menu. I prefer off the menu as I find it usually less expensive and even better choices. The graduation started at 9:00am, and we were given a table-all table service restaurant-and were comfortably eating when people rolled in much later and expected to have sit down service. The hotel is huge, and the service managed well, because for those who chose to roll on in one hour before attending a program had the choice-albeit a long line there as well-of the pastry/coffee take away part of the gift shop. It was as well stocked for items as a Starbucks even if it wasn't a Starbucks.
Overall, the experience was great and I'd definitely choose the Hyatt Regency again for visits to Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view-we looked over the basketball arenas. Great for people watching.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
MilwaukeeHyatt, Manager at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for your review...we hope you choose us next time you visit the city!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

After reading a bunch of reviews, I decided to stay at the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee because it seemed like a nice place. But I was so unhappy with my stay! The rooms are pathetically lit. With all my lights on and the curtains opened, it was still dark. The parking is ridiculous. The food and drinks are way over priced. I had a server named Mariah and she couldn't get my order right so I went into the bar thinking the bartender would be better but he wasn't! His name was Danny and he didn't put down his phone when I came in to even acknowledge me. I sat there for almost 5 minutes before he even looked up. The hotel is in a run down part of the city and I wouldn't go outside on my own even in the day. I'm sad, with all these great reviews, I had such a bad experience.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not what you had expected. Your comments will be taken under advisement, and we thank you for staying with us.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

From the check in process with the front desk gal name Anita N. (who was such a nice lady) till check out with Anita N again... the 2 day stay at the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee was perfect. We had 2 rooms on the 8th floor. The hotel was conveniently located to where we needed to be - The Milwaukee Theater (to attend my son's Medical School Graduation)..and other spots we needed to be as well. The hotel was spottless..well maintained..The staff was beyond friendly and professional. Rooms were spacious and beds most comfortable. Great bar and restaurant experience as well. Used the Valet Parking each day and that worked perfect as well. Thank you Hyatt for the great job...Will definantely recommend this hotel to friends/family and will for sure stay there again when in Milwaukee.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a city view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for the amazing review! We hope you choose to stay with us again next time you are in Milwaukee!
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

When staying in downtown Milwaukee recently I chose the Hyatt for the convenience to the conference center. Through the sky way I had access to my room throughout the day.

The Hyatt offers all you need and adds service with a friendly smile. From doormen and clerks to bartenders and waiters people seemed to enjoy their job. The pleasant demeanor shows through and service comes natural to these people. Thanks for an enjoyable stay....I will return some day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
It's always wonderful to hear reviews like this...thanks!
Pasadena, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have to admit, nothing beats free. I tagged along with my husband to a conference and Milwaukee, and everything happened at this hotel (the classes, the meals, etc). While the husband is out and about with other attendees, I had a chance to explore downtown Milwaukee on foot. The weather was gorgeous, and the city is very manageable on foot. MAM (Milwaukee Art Museum) and Pabst Manor are some of the highlights.

But I digress. For some reason I kept thinking the conference was at the Intercontinental a few blocks away, so did all my research and planning based on there. When I was gently reminded that the video I was watching and faithfully taking notes off of (Intercontinental had a very helpful video by their concierge on what to do around town) is not from the host hotel, I must admit I was disappointed.

I digress again. Since I was already disappoint before I even set foot in the hotel thru no fault of Hyatt, I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. And as in most experiences in life, the truth is a mixed bag.

PROS: the service is very good. From check-in to almost 4 square meals a day (buffets galore, the host really wanted to feed us well), the staff are friendly and focused, and everything happened very smoothly. Rooms were always kept clean, and room service is decent.

The location of this place is a big plus. I understand it is linked by a sky bridge directly to the convention center. Although the immediately surrounding isn't stellar, the location is central and close to everything (River Walk, Historical Society, stadiums, and convention center,... did I mention the Intercontinental?)

The rooms are new and clean. Pleasantly appointed with ample storage space. The water pressure in the shower is strong and awesome. The bedding is super super comfortable and very relaxing. The sheets and the pillow cases are very very soft.

CONS: during one evening in the elevator when all the attendees are heading back up to their rooms, one of the attendees blurted out, "Man, if my ex-wife was here, she wouldn't last a day. She would have jumped!" As he exited the elevator, the remaining passengers all agreed that it was a macabre comment. I secretly admired the man for pointing out the 800-pound gorilla in the room (no pun intended, in our case, it's the whole building): The entire building is a bunch of rooms surrounding a HUGE void space. All the corridors are open on one side to this oppressive source of vertigo. I believe in the 1970s it was considered very cool, and it is called an Atrium (yes, I am being facetious). Many of the reviews I read here mention the noise being an issue, but no one seems to note why: it's the building!!! It's is one of those dilemmas that all property owners must face: should one hang on for another 30 years and see if my building is going to be retro and chic (like 1950s "mid-century modern"), or do I have an outdated facility on my hands? (I did read on one review that the Anime attendees tried to address the issue, by having screaming contests up the space... very creative and sophomoric. At least the teens are honest and tried to acknowledge there is something odd about the building!)

Another inherent issue lies in the unchangeable fact that every window is set at a deep exterior window ledge... and it is very hard to clean. In our few days there, I watched as hundreds of little flying bugs get caught at multiple spiders' webs right outside my window. The debris at the ledge can be easily avoided by pulling the curtains, I guess.

There is an very conscientious effort to modernize the building to Hyatt standards, and the effort should be applauded. Most of the attempts do work: the interior of the guest rooms as well as the restrooms, etc. There is a gray accent throughout every floor, punctuated by "random" planters (yes, the plants are plastic). This only added to the overly odd atrium space being very gloomy as well. There is even a new coat of paint on the exterior of the building... but gray! Double gloom! The carpet along the corridors are also utilitarian (busy pattern to hide dirt) rather than aesthetic.

Every brand wants to establish themselves as unique, and Hyatt has a special fragrance they use at all their properties... it's a tad too strong for me, and mixed with the smell of laundry soap and steam (one of the 2 exits of the hotel is right next to the air outlet vent), the overall effect is simple unpleasant.

In the room itself, the only thing I noticed in a bad way was the carpet felt dirty and "flat" always, even without stain marks or visible dirt. Bring your own slippers or wear socks...

The water pressure in the toilet is also an interesting phenomenon: the flush flows so slowly, I was sure the toilet was going to flood every time: but it never did. I just needed to have more faith.

All in all, a very curious experience at a proven hotel brand.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your detailed review - please rest assured that all issues that can be addressed, will be. The atrium-style design of the hotel is something that we do our best to work with, and we hope to continue to be successful.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. It's beautiful, it wasn't TOO expensive (I booked through an external site), and was the perfect location for a wedding I attended downtown. The only mild complaint I have is regarding parking. It was a little pricey for my liking, but downtown parking will always be expensive, so I expected the high price. It was nice that the parking structure had a skywalk directly into the hotel, though. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and I hope to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Sadly, as we do not own or operate the parking structure we are attached to, we cannot control the pricing. We are, however, happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Janesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The front desk staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. I accidentally misplaced my room key and the night clerk was very kind and replaced the key without any hassle. The fitness center was great and had top of the line equipment. My room had access to the Regency Club and I enjoyed the hot breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
We are happy to have been so accommodating during your stay...we look forward to seeing you again soon!