“OK, but shop around” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
Hartwick, New York
“OK, but shop around”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

The lobby architecture at Hyatt is pretty cool, staff is pleasant and accommodating, and the location is great. Room was nice, although small, and beds were comfortable. We weren't too keen on the odor (kind of a sickening smoke-masking smell) and the prices. There was a $10.95/day charge for wireless in the room, and a $3 charge for bottled water (we thought the 2 bottles setting on the table were complimentary). So, pluses and minuses come up to just OK. Shop around.

1 Thank upstatenewyorker01
jackallisonn, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
I want to thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. I appreciate you letting us know about the cool architecture, and the friendly staff, along with the review on the guestroom.

I am sorry that you were not properly informed of charges beyond your guestroom rate. If you would possibly email me so that I may learn more about your stay, I want to make it right. We pride ourselves on being great at what we do!

I look forward to further communcation!
Jack Allison
Director of Sales & Marketing
jack.allison@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

I had booked thru a discount hotel websites. When I saw 4 stars I was expecting what I usually get. Instead, as I entered my room after a very long day of travel and work, I had hope to crash on a bed. There was no bed. And then it hit me, the "bed" was in the wall.

So I tried to pull the bed down to get some quick rest, but there was a very heavy table and chairs blocking the bed from going all the way down. I went down to the lobby to see about a different room, but they informed me that in my "price bracket", there were no available rooms and they were really booked. The offered to have someone move the table and chairs.

Once the bed was down, I noticed a smell of old plastic coming from the bed's head board. I decided to suck it up and try sleeping anyway. Midway thru the night, my back (not being supported in ANY way by the crumby bed) started to really hurt. I absolutely couldn't sleep.

I called the front desk at 1AM and finally got a nice man who got me into the room next to mine....a room with REAL beds.

Everything was fine, I slept until 8:23AM (the day of my checkout)...and then I get a very rude awakening of "housekeeping!!". On the day I check out, I never worry about housekeeping simply because normal hotels don't make a room up until a person has checked out.

I wouldn't classify this hotel as a 4 star. I've been in better 3 stars, in bigger cities. Things I expect in a 4 star would be a robe, a bed, and a nice smelling room. The nickle and diming of charging $3 for a simple bottle of water was also just silly. But I expected that as that had been mentioned in several other reviews concerning this hotel.

Room Tip: DEMAND a real bed. Or just stay at the Inter-Continental.
3 Thank randomviolintraveler
Thank you for taking time out to let us know your dissatisfaction for your stay. If guests do not tell us, we have no way to improve.

I apologize for the room type you were given, and that it did not meet your expectations. I would like to discuss this further with you at your convenience. Please email me at jack.allison@hyatt.com so we can rectify the experience you had!

We want to make it right!
Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

I was here for a overnight for conference being held at this hotel and as such, this review is all business.

Room Review:
The rooms were spacious and had what we needed, although I found the bathroom to be a bit small, but hey, it was just for one night. What I really liked from the bathroom was that the hair dryer wasn't attached to the wall so that I could dry my hair in another part of the room. This is an important thing to note when traveling with others. The beds - although they were covered with way too many pillows and a decorative blanket - were comfortable. The only complaints I have on the room front, is that they didn't have Comedy Central and the ice machine was empty on my floor. Business travelers should also note that the wake up call was on time.

Conference Services Review:
The food that was provided for us in the atrium for continental breakfast and afternoon reception was tasty. I did find that the service we had for lunch (which was served in one of the ballrooms) was a bit distracting. The servers moved very fast and in some cases removed plates before we could even decide if we were finished with them or not. One server in particular was loud while directing the rest of the safe through the service. The desert was sitting on the table when we arrived in the room and as such was cold and dry by the time it was time to eat it. (I will admit, I do not know if the staff was given direction from the conference planner or not on the speed of which the meal should be served, but nonetheless it affected my experience.) If you are planning a conference here be aware that some of the rooms have TVs in them instead of projectors so plan your power points accordingly.

Wifi Situation:
There is free wifi in the lobby only. I tried to access it from the 2nd floor and only luck 40% of the time. Other than that it is 10.95/day for wireless access in other parts of the hotel.

Parking:
I recommend parking in the lot on Old World 3rd Street between Wells and Wisconsin. The overnight rate was only $12. It seemed pretty reasonable for this Chicago gal.

Staff and Location:
The staff was nice and attentive. I don't really have any complaints there. Nor with the location. It's right in the middle of everything.

The bottom line:
A semi-classy place to stay if spending the night in Milwaukee. A pretty ok place for a conference.

Fun Fact: It reminded me of The Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World.

Room Tip: Be aware that one side of the building faces a parking garage.
2 Thank marzbars
jackallisonn, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you so much for giving such a detailed review! It is from guests like yourself that we continue to learn and strive to be the best in Milwaukee! We appreciate your comments on the hair dryer and comfortable bed. I am sorry that you had an issue with the ice machine being emplty and that there was not sufficient cable television selections for you. Please know that we are upgrading the first of the year to a complete digital package! We thank you also for you comments on the food being tasty, but am sorry that the service was less than stellar. We will share this review with our entire team so they may use it as a training tool. Last, but not least, thank you for your comments on the staff being nice and attentive. It is the foundation of what makes a hotel....service and hospitality! Please come back if in the Milwaukee area again!
Selden, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed in the Hyatt Regency from Sept 29-Oct 2nd 2011 for a conference. The hotel staff were very friendly but would not budge when four of us that traveled together were put in the following rooms: 1034,1134,1230,1432! There was hardly anyone there when we checked in on that Thursday afternoon! The room seemed very clean but the entire hotel had a very musty almost moldy smell. The housekeeping staff were very nice and accommodating.
The layout of the hotel is strange, there is only one set of elevators for all the floors.
The bed was comfy, the shower plenty of hot water and pressure.
The complaints: you either have to "pay" for wi-fi $10.00 a day or use of their business rooms with their pc's for $3.00 a session, how ridiculous when most hotels offer that as a standard. Also, the rooms came with a small fridge, now you have to order and pay an extra $25 for the stay..not good business. Also their Bistro 333 was horrible raw food, poor service, and way too much money for things like that.
All in

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sioned1
Wisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

This was an ideal place for us. They were motorcycle friendly; walking distance to great restaurants and taverns; comfortable beds and linens. The bathroom was a bit small, but they had a full size hair dryer - so that made up for it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jackallisonn, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you so much for your review! We are happy that you enjoyed our hotel, found our location favorable, and liked the hair dryer! We hope that you will come back and see us again!
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

First, my disclaimer: I strongly prefer Hampton/Springhill Suites type of hotels. I don't mind parking my own car and carrying my own bags.

The good: The Hyatt Regency was near to a lot of attractions. The bed was comfy and the shower had great water pressure and constant temp. The staff was friendly and helpful, and they immediately took care of the small maintenance issue with my room.

The mediocre: The place needs a good updating. For a higher-end property, the bathrooms are small, the decor isn't anything noticeable. It was tough to figure when rooms would be cleaned - it didn't cause me any issues, so no real problem. The room wasn't impeccably clean - not bad, but not excellent. Asked for late checkout, but they said no. To be fair, there was a playoff game the next day. However, I can't remember the last time a hotel said 'no' to an extra half-hour, especially when housekeeping was still working by 2:00 or 3:00.

The bad: extra charges for everything. Parking, internet, water (bottled, that is). Parking? Sure. Internet? That's just silly. Bottled water? If it's not free, don't take any of my counter space with it. The lighting in the room wasn't too bright. I found it tough to work (other than right at the desk).

Overall, I doubt I'd stay here again, but non-free Internet is enough to make me look elsewhere.

2 Thank professorroyhinkley
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for a work conference. Access to the convention center is great as it is connected by an above ground walkway. The hotel however seems very dated. Rooms are ok but the bathrooms are very small. Service at the hotel is not stellar and rooms were not usually cleaned until after 3pm (at least all the days I was there). The hotel is within easy walking distance of some of the Milwaukee sites. If you looking for luxury, romance or some sense of hipness, look at other hotels in the city.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business