“Entertaining Hotel”

Ranked #54 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Wisconsin
“Entertaining Hotel”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

So my husband and I check as long term residents which translated into their language means "no bedding change, no vacuuming, no toilet paper, soap, anything." Here I am a middle aged woman walking down the hall with no make up and dressed in sweats and I get hit on by men in the hallway. They are either blind and/or drunk or drugged up. The overall staff during the day hours were wonderful, but the night time manager "Jose" must have thought he was on a new realty program called "world's worst hotel manager." He repeatedly changed the policy, then presents us with a so called "contract" that he thought we had signed when we originally checked in. After informing him that we did not sign such a contract, he turned into the invisible man. Entering the so called fitness room you needed an insurance policy in case of injury with all the equipment hardly functioning and wobbly. Being leered at by strange men hanging out in the doorway made me wish I had brought a tazer along. So if you want to feel like you are starring in a new version of "Psycho" check into the American Best Value Hotel on 17th&Layton and it will truly be an experience to be remembered.

Room Tip: Check the online reviews first!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank WIsecondhoneymooners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I travel to Milwaukee for business and I stay there because its somewhat decent for the $$. Last trip in Oct 2011 was horrible. I was approached by a man who first words were I am a drug addict and he stopped me and refused to let me go around. Wanted money so he could buy his drugs in the parking lot. Called and complained, nothing happened. Second, the garbage was not picked up on a Sunday from guests putting their trash in the hallways and garbage overflowed in the hallways and it smelled like old pizza and stale beer. Third, my credit card was overcharged by $500.00 and had to call to complain that it was incorrect and dont they check their accounting. Fourth, Today, Novemeber 22, 2011 checked my credit card and guess what? They charged me for staying at their hotel on Nov 21, 2011 when I was in a different city at home. Called to find out what is going on, and was told there was not one manager on duty to help me to find out why my credit card was being charged for a room that didnt have any reservation or check in made by me. Where do they get off charging my credit card when I havent been there in almost a month nor made reservations. My next stop is law enforcement. Sure could have used them there the night the drug addict was in the lobby hitting on women.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank travelchickchicago1

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Ankeny, Iowa, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We are originally from milwaukee,we needed to come back for a funeral so stay in a hotel for 1 night drive home next day , when we got to hotel i was like awww the old howard johsons, cool should be nice, ewww is all i can say it was like someone came in there wiped the table off quick wipe of sink quick vac and done. pubic hair in shower and on bathroom floor , cant even guess what was on floor lol , remote needed batteries front desk didnt have the screwdriver to open it , stood there watching her walk around trying to think of somthing, finally got it thank me with nails to get the screws out broke a nail but i dont care. they stole my favorite body pillow , my fault for forgetting but give me a break i called a couple hrs later after check out and the guy said ill get it and bring it down cuz i said i was coming to get it. get there and nothing just a STUPID LOOK on his face. i said it was stolen he said yes . alot of live - ins there and a few pets but to my happieness they didnt bark makes me wonder why lol alot of working girls and drunks , sad that area turned out that way :(

Room Tip: anywhere but here if staying longer then a night or 2
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Though the girl at the front desk was nice, it was downhill from there. The pool was empty in July, the broken windows were duct taped. The hall smelled. There was a girl either passed out or dead in the parking lot, so we notified front desk. The room door across the hall from us was open when we got there. All we heard was a tv and all we saw was a leg calf. 4 hours later the body was still there. Dead or passed out? Creepy people, garage sale furniture in rooms. I pick the next one, not him!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marycairns56
Kenkohli, General Manager at Milwaukee Airport Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
I am sorry this guest had a bad stay at out property. We strive to maintain clean, comfortable rooms. We are renovating for your convenience.
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed July 11, 2011

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!! We were overcharged for one room supposedly because it came with a continental breakfast. They do not have a continental breakfast at this hotel. After I made the reservation I called and talked to someone at the hotel to confirm that we would have transportation from the hotel to Park and Ride and then to Summerfest from there- I explained that that I did not want to keep the reservation if this transportation was not available. We were promised transportation from the hotel to a park and ride so that we could go to Summerfest- this of course DID NOT HAPPEN. One of our friends had to move 3 times because they were given unclean rooms and/or rooms without any sheets on the bed- they had 8 hrs to get the room clean by the way while we were at Summerfest- came back at 2am room still not cleaned. The rooms were filthy even when they had supposedly been cleaned in our other rooms We tried to talk to a manager- but were told they would not be in until the morning. In the morning- no manager- we were told to call back on Monday or Tuesday- each person we talked to gave us a different manager name- Suzy, Sam, Rupaul (who we found out was the owner by accident). IF you are desperate and just need a few hours of sleep and no where else to go- Sleep in your car- you will be better off.

Room Tip: Stay somehere else this place sucks
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ILTravelere
I am sorry this guest had a bad experience at our property. We strive to maintain clean, comfortable rooms, and we ask all guests to let us know when we can be of service to them.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for over a week. Would strongly NOT recommend it. We had several items worth several hundred dollars stolen from our room by cleaning staff and a neighbouring guest had his watch go missing. Management took no responsibility, would not properly investigate and then became hostile with us when we reported the theft to police. Support staff were on the whole very grumpy and rude. Rooms were not properly cleaned. We also noticed several older male guests arriving late in the evening, with much younger women who looked suspiciously like working girls. My wife was propositioned by at least two drunken men in the hotel hallway. The hotel is priced low and the location is not bad and there is a free shuttle to the airport but the cons outweigh the pros but a large margin.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taogplc
I am sorry this guest had a bad experience at our property. We are renovating now, and will continue to improve.