“Best Service Ever!”
Review of Astor Hotel

Astor Hotel
Ranked #50 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had blocked off rooms at the Astor Hotel for my wedding. I did not have my wedding reception or ceremony there, but that did not affect the type of service I received. I blocked off rooms at several other hotels in the area and can say that I received the best service at the Astor Hotel. I dealt mostly with Patrick and have nothing but positive things to say about him. He was very informative, helpful and accommodating. I have never had this type of experience at a hotel before.

Starting with my initial contact with him, the service I received was above and beyond the other hotels and what I expected. Because of this, I highly recommended that my family and friends stay at the Astor (which they did). The only reason I had guests staying at other hotels is because the Astor was sold out of rooms.

My family and friends were very impressed with the service provided to us by the staff. They all have nothing to great things to say about their stay and will definitely stay again! It is also a historic landmark, which is sets it apart from your typical hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was the worst hotel I have stayed at in a long time with a cramped dark room, a shower that went down to a dribble if someone else was using water and a view of a brick wall out of cracked window.

When we checked in our room smelled overwhelmingly of smoke and was very hot and there are no inroom controls for temperature. We were obviously in one of the rooms that had not been renovated.

The TV had very few channels and had a highpitched whine when it was on that made it unwatchable.

The lobby was charming. The staff was friendly and the location was good - close the lake and downtown scene.

However, If you have any other options I would not stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MillyA09
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I really wanted to like the Astor. I like historic hotels, and this one has family history attached, with wedding receptions going back to the 30's and 40's. I wasn't completely disappointed, but on balance, unfortunately, the negatives outweighed the positives. I reserved several rooms at the Astor for a family wedding this past weekend. Of the 6 rooms (all in the same price range), 3 were in good shape, three were not - cold, dark and dingy, with peeling wallpaper. Housekeeping for rooms reserved for multiple nights seemed to occur at pretty random times. Although I paid for parking, once I left I was unable to re-enter the lot, and ended up parking blocks away. I informed the employee at the front desk, who took my swipe card, went to his own keypad, swiped, punched in several numbers, and declared there was nothing wrong with the card, when clearly there was or he would not have had to key in a new code. And there was no apology for the inconvenience. Two days after our stay, I checked my credit card to discover I was billed almost $300 for a room reserved by my niece, not me. Although they had taken her credit card and ID upon check-in, when I called to inquire about the error I was informed they had no record of that information, nor did they have any way to contact her. Clearly the onus was on me to take care of their error. When I offered to contact her and have her call the hotel, the reply I got was, "yeah, that'd be good". Again, no "we're sorry", "we apologize for the inconvenience" - nothing. This once grand hotel has a lot of potential, but clearly, from the physical presence to customer service, a lot of work needs to be done.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Flynn03
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Astor for 2 weeks in Sept/Oct of 2013. Location is the elegant old area of the city, just 2 or 3 blocks from the Lakefront, and very close to the downtown. The lobby still retains the elegance of 100 years ago, right down to the quiet music in the background ... "cocktail music" of the 1930's and '40s.
I stayed in a "Long Stay Parlor Suite", which gave a very very good daily rate, especially considering the amenities. A full kitchen, a small dining room, and connected to the bedroom was a huge living room area with very comfortable sofa bed (I didn't sleep on it, just relaxed on it), and very comfortable overstuffed chair. There was a huge walk-in closet outside the bathroom. The view was not good, looking at the other wing of the building, but the suite had about 8 windows, so the light was very good.
I was in Milwaukee to visit 3 friends from high school whom I had not seen in many many years (more than 40!). And the hotel staff accommodated me immediately when I asked for more dining room chairs, another comfortable living room chair, and a 2nd coffee pot. So my friends and I used my suite as the base...as my home....during my 2 week visit. We spent hours everyday in that comfortable living room!
The Long Stay also came with free parking, and as I did not have a vehicle, my friend was able to park all day every time she came to visit. There is a laundry room on each floor, very clean. The restaurant is very pleasant, and on its menu is a delicious $4 breakfast, which was just enough for me. Restaurant staff were very nice! A hotel employee, really nice man, would give me a ride to places in a several mile radius, like Brady Street or the Art Museum or Downtown.
I've just come back, and have started putting money in my cookie jar to save for next year's 2 weeks at the Astor!

Room Tip: All my comments are based on the Long Stay Parlor Suite. I don't know what the other rooms are...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A historic building, with a mix of apartments and hotel rooms. Offering very high quality when it was built, presumably in the 20s, it has a great location just north of the Milwaukee city center and the lobby is elegant. The room itself was very clean and had a good bed, etc, but the door has seen better days (in other words has a lot of character and history!) and the bathroom is the original one, although well-maintained. For the price of a budget hotel you get a special place with elements of charm - and the front desk staff were good, too! The cafe has great and very reasonably priced breakfasts - and great service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank plenipotentiary
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was booked via a wedding party. My family booked 8 rooms and no one was happy. The hotel was full due to other weddings taking place. The hotel was wonderfully historic, but it appeared that nothing was updated. The rooms were small, my room looked at a brick wall, the closet was dark, the room was dark, there was no place to put anything in the bathroom, furniture old and worn, 1 family's room was never cleaned, the hotel smelled musty, The only positive was that the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed in two Milwaukee hotels on this trip. Both are older/historical, and both have charm. Both are right downtown, too, with rates I like. I will return to the Astor though because the desk staff hit a higher standard -- not just civil, but friendly and caring -- and the business centre worked better (example: toner supply). Closer to a great deli, too. Also: the bathtub came with a functional plug, they have a take-a-book 'library', staff obviously enjoy their jobs, and the restaurant next door is so good, I went twice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo