“Great location, great service”
Review of Astor Hotel

Astor Hotel
Ranked #49 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
dekalb,il
“Great location, great service”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

It's true this is an older property but it is clean and wonderfully charming. The lobby area is an excellent place to sit and people watch and large enough to find a corner for a private phone conversation. It does make me think of The Stanley, the hotel that the The Shining is based in, but that adds to the charm for me. Great neighborhood, close to anything you could need. Parking is extra, but they don't kick you out at check out so it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is an old hotel which my husband booked because of its history. On the positive side, it's located in a very lovely neighborhood, the staff were very friendly, and internet access is free. Now for the negatives.... First of all, the Astor seems to have a problem trying to decide whether they're a hotel or an apartment house. So we checked in and took the elevator to our room on the 3rd floor. Upon leaving the elevator our noses were assaulted with the aroma of whatever the apartment dwellers happened to be cooking that day. Gross. We entered our ( very small) room and I immediately ran into the shower as we were meeting people for dinner in 1/2 hour. The shower was okay but when I turned on the blow dryer the electricity in the bathroom went out. (Of note, I had plugged in a curling iron and I guess that was a bit much for an old hotel.) Maintenance came up within minutes and the problem was solved. Meanwhile, my husband pulled open a drawer and the handle came off in his hand. When we returned from dinner we were very upset to see that the bathroom sink had backed up and could not be used so we had to use the bathtub water to brush our teeth that evening and again in the a.m. This problem was resolved by the time we returned to our room late in the afternoon of our 2nd day, but once again the electricity was out in the bathroom. (This time I had nothing plugged in.) The restaurant breakfast is good but the service is not so good. And they charge $10 per night for parking. Obviously, we will not be returning here on our next trip to Milwaukee!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liz0815
LaurenP_77, General Manager at Astor Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
The Astor Hotel was built in 1920 and was originally designed to be both a residential property and hotel. We are proud that we are using the building as it was originally intended, however, that being said, guests and residents do occupy floors together.

I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. The Astor Hotel is an old property and we do experience more maintenance issues than a building of new construction. We, of course, do whatever we can to address issues immediately. But there is always room for improvement in how we handle preventative maintenance.

We are an independent hotel, under new ownership, and we have been investing a lot of money into the property as a whole. This means that although we are unable to fix and/or replace everything at once, we are constantly working on improving the building itself and the amenities within.

Thank you for you review.

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My 21 year old daughter and I chose the Astor Hotel because of its charm. We were not disappointed. It was a delight to experience a unique hotel, rather than a franchise contemporary, lacking in beauty. The service was friendly and efficient. Parking was very accessible and inexpensive. The very safe neighborhood was quiet, but still located central to the things we wanted to do such as running on the lakeshore path, coffee at Collectico, and a trip to the historic Third Ward. I highly recommend this quiet and extremely lovely hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor away from the elevator and it was a very quiet location. I can't sp...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Astor was not built yesterday. if you prefer to stay in a new, fresh, modern (boring) hotel, this is not the place for you. It was, however, the perfect place for my husband and me. We loved this hotel! Since it was built in the '20s, the rooms have that great ambiance, and the walls are solid..no listening to the shenanigans of the couple in the next room! More updated things, such as the comfy bed, the several different types of pillows on the bed (soft to firm), the flat screen tv on the wall, and the microwave and small fridge in the room (we had a king), made for a lovely stay. The neighborhood is nice, and an easy walking distance to the River Walk and it's surrounding bars and restaurants. The rooftop deck was great, too, as was every person at the front desk. We loved it, and will stay here again.

Room Tip: The value is great, so spend a few extra bucks and get a king room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I chose to stay at Astor because it was one of the most affordable hotels in the downtown location, yet the reviews I've read had been positive.

I'm pleased with my choice! Although this not a modern or fancy hotel, it is very clean and comfortable, with fantastic location, and has character.

Service was slow at check in as there was only one reception staff on and the phone kept ringing.

I would gladly stay here again for its great location and price, and decent rooms.

• Stayed July 2013
Lumby, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Astor Hotel is a Old-World hotel that maintains it's charm from a bygone age. The hotel was built in the 1920's and still gives out metal keys and has mailboxes. The lobby creates quite the impression when entering. It is ornate, charming, beautiful, and huge. The hotel is in a lovely and quiet neighborhood and is a relaxing place for a stroll. My room was a no-frills basic room with little to no charm and which was somewhat cramped with the 2 big beds taking up most of the room. Notably the room had no table or chair and I had to put my small possessions on the spare bed as there was no room on the bedside table . No fridge, microwave, or coffee-maker although they do have large urns of complimentary coffee (incl decaf) in the lobby. The bed was soft and comfortable and the room was very clean with a roomy bathroom. I could clearly hear voices at night from street level even though my room was on the top floor (9th). When the air conditioner is on it does block out any other noise. The staff were very friendly and helpful. When my TV went on the fritz one nite I reported it to the room clerk the next morning and it was working when I returned later that day. All the staff were great. The clerk even offered me a different room after the weekend saying the rooms in the floors below the 9th were better. Even though I declined the offer - having already settled in - I appreciated it. The hotel is in a good location about 7-8 blocks from the downtown area and a small supermarket and some restaurants are a short walk away. Would I stay again while in Milwaukee? Maybe; but not on the 9th floor.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the 9th floor. I was told by the room clerk that the better rooms are on th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Astor Hotel describes itself as elegant, which is stretching it a bit. It is an old hotel with a beautiful lobby and many original features like brass & glass mail slots by the elevators and ventilating room door. It has a wonderful rooftop deck with view of the lake and nearby city where you can enjoy a cool evening breeze. The restaurant & bar recently opened and has a nice selection of drink. They do a lovely breakfast in the restaurant. (Hotel is no longer providing free breakfast). They are serving dinner as well although I did not eat dinner here.

I have rarely stayed in a hotel of this age. Many of the original features are still present, of high quality, and in good working order. The Astor is the Model T of hotels - still works, interesting to experience, but different than what is built today.

The rooms were clean and included a modern flat screen TV and comfortable bed. I enjoyed my night and would stay here again.

Parking in the hotel lot is convenient and reasonably priced. It requires an electronic card pass to enter so do not attempt to park in the lot until after you have checked in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family