Astor Hotel
$170
$157
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
Comfort Suites Milwaukee - Park Place(Milwaukee)(Great Value!)
$87
Hilton.com
  • Room Service
$189
  • Restaurant
Potawatomi Hotel & Casino(Milwaukee)(Great Value!)
$159
Travelocity
All reviewsan actual keyhistoric placeseen better daysstreet parkingcounty clare
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Astor Hotel is a Old-World hotel that maintains it's charm from a bygone age. The hotel was built in the 1920's and still gives out metal keys and has mailboxes. The lobby creates quite the impression when entering. It is ornate, charming, beautiful, and huge. The hotel is in a lovely and quiet neighborhood and is a relaxing place for a stroll. My room was a no-frills basic room with little to no charm and which was somewhat cramped with the 2 big beds taking up most of the room. Notably the room had no table or chair and I had to put my small possessions on the spare bed as there was no room on the bedside table . No fridge, microwave, or coffee-maker although they do have large urns of complimentary coffee (incl decaf) in the lobby. The bed was soft and comfortable and the room was very clean with a roomy bathroom. I could clearly hear voices at night from street level even though my room was on the top floor (9th). When the air conditioner is on it does block out any other noise. The staff were very friendly and helpful. When my TV went on the fritz one nite I reported it to the room clerk the next morning and it was working when I returned later that day. All the staff were great. The clerk even offered me a different room after the weekend saying the rooms in the floors below the 9th were better. Even though I declined the offer - having already settled in - I appreciated it. The hotel is in a good location about 7-8 blocks from the downtown area and a small supermarket and some restaurants are a short walk away. Would I stay again while in Milwaukee? Maybe; but not on the 9th floor.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the 9th floor. I was told by the room clerk that the better rooms are on the floors below the 9th. Not that my room was bad; but if you have a choice go no 9.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Astor Hotel describes itself as elegant, which is stretching it a bit. It is an old hotel with a beautiful lobby and many original features like brass & glass mail slots by the elevators and ventilating room door. It has a wonderful rooftop deck with view of the lake and nearby city where you can enjoy a cool evening breeze. The restaurant & bar recently opened and has a nice selection of drink. They do a lovely breakfast in the restaurant. (Hotel is no longer providing free breakfast). They are serving dinner as well although I did not eat dinner here.

I have rarely stayed in a hotel of this age. Many of the original features are still present, of high quality, and in good working order. The Astor is the Model T of hotels - still works, interesting to experience, but different than what is built today.

The rooms were clean and included a modern flat screen TV and comfortable bed. I enjoyed my night and would stay here again.

Parking in the hotel lot is convenient and reasonably priced. It requires an electronic card pass to enter so do not attempt to park in the lot until after you have checked in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tahoedewey
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Dirty room. Stained furniture. Horrible bed.. Shower leaked all night. I just hope that I did not pick up any unwanted critters to go home with me. Stay here at your own risk and only if you are desperate .

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Last weekend we attended a wedding reception at the Astor. The reception area was very nice and the bar area, though smaller, was well manned by several very good, hard working bartenders. The parents were not too happy with the timliness of the dinner serving because the waiters/waitresses didn't start serving until about an hour and 15 minutes after the scheduled time. We enjoyed the food and the ambiance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I would not stay here again.Too many bugs in this room and a moth! Nice free breakfest. Stayed here for Summerfest 2012. They have a shuttle but not realiable. Choose another hotel. This hotel needs an exterminator. Staff locked our luggage in a office room on our last day came back and they didn't have key almost didn't make our only way home.

• Stayed: July 2012