“Enjoyable stay at a great price”
Review of Astor Hotel

Astor Hotel
Ranked #48 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Astor Hotel is a charming, vintage hotel in a great neighborhood. While it could use a lick of paint, it's clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room had a new flat-screen TV with Dish.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim D
There are newer reviews for Astor Hotel

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I love old hotels, and make an effort to stay in them whenever we have the opportunity. We went with another couple for a quick overnight in Milwaukee to see a band and were looking for an affordable place to stay in a walkable neighborhood. Unfortunately, we were sorely disappointed by the Astor.

The lobby is tired, so tired that it's hard to tell if it's even clean. The air feels stale and the lobby had to be at least 85 degrees when we were there. We checked in, and we went to our 9th floor room. Our friends joked that we got the "penthouse" while they were on lowly floor 7. In the end, it seems we had the shorter end of the stick.

Our room was very, very old. Between the excessively worn carpet, the cable line running through a hole in the window sill, and a bathroom that looked like it could have been in my 1950s-era dorm, it was hard to even appreciate the clean sheets on the bed. All of this may have been tolerable, had the room not been at least 85 degrees - without any temperature control that we could find.

It was so warm and uncomfortable, we tried (unsuccessfully) to open the windows, and even tried propping open our door. (No luck - the hallway was just as warm.) We had returned from the concert very late - about 2:30 a.m., so it didn't seem worth it to try to switch rooms. I woke up at 6:00 (no small feat given how late we were up and how much I had had to drink the night before) so I could bolt from the room to find some cool relief. We donned our coats and waited in front of the hotel for an hour until our friends woke up to join us.

Our friends summed up their experience as "old world charm without the old", but their room had been refurbished, they had an a/c unit to fight the temperature, and they could open their windows. Our night was unforgettably uncomfortable so maybe you could avoid our fate by asking for a room that has been updated?

Also, while finishing a cocktail in the hotel lobby at about 2:30 a.m., we met one of the residents of the Astor. Besides hotel room, the Astor has extended-stay and permanent residence. He was at least 70-80 years old, and I wondered if he was representative of the older residents. That may help explain the excessively warm, fuggy internal climate of the Astor?

Room Tip: Ask about a room that has been updated and has temperature control!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank WITraveller251
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed here the last week of August. I agree with bits and pieces of all prior comments. The carpeting is dirty and so are the hallway walls, but the beds and bathroom is clean. Yes, the air conditioner is a wall unit, but it kept the room cool. The closet didn't have a door. Our room had a 32" flat screen TV with great reception. The neighborhood was safe. There weren't a lot of restaurants in the area, but there was a Subway and a nice Greek restaurant. You rack this up to you get what you pay for. If you want luxury, don't stay here. If you want a clean bed, then don't hesitate to stay her.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank toria55
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked two rooms on a busy weekend. When we got there we had our two rooms but found out they were overbooked. We had our rooms but many others were angry in the lobby. They did try to help the others by putting our party in a different room that would accomidate all 4 of us so that they could have an extra room to give to somebody else.

The location wasn't the greatest but the hotel is downtown and they do offer a free shuttle any time, till I think 11 or midnight, you just have to let them know when. The driver was really nice and informative.

The rooms are old looking as you would suspect since it is an old hotel. They haven't been updated. The bed was comfortable enough. We only spent a few hours in the room so I can't say much about it.
The parking lot in the back did fill up forcing others in our party to use the valet.

If I found a good deal I would stay here again. It is nothing more than average and a place to sleep so that you are not stuck out on the streets.
Next time though I will probably just chance it and book on hotwire to get a good rate and see where I end up.

1  Thank Ruger09
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I'm pretty sure if the Astor that owned this was on the Titanic-his riches to upkeep this hotel went with him. I mean this place is truly disgusting!!! Nastiest place I've ever stayed in my life!! An trust me I'm not picky. I just want a clean place to stay. These reviews that say this is a nice hotel must be paid to say that. No dresser for clothes an the carpet is so nasty-I wouldn't dare take my shoes off in the room!! They have a wall unit for an air conditioner that is in place with boards an duct tape. I'm pretty sure that's a fire hazard. My bathroom had ants crawling in it! The ONLY reason I stayed here was because it was a paid for room by the company I work for. The hotel is very creepy with long, weird hallways an I'm sure they haven't seen a cleaning product in over 50 years!!! It's like the Bates hotel! You can hear everything going on outside your room because the walls are so thin. Seriously do yourself a favor an pay the extra money an stay somewhere else. The only thing nice about this rat hole was the roof top deck. I wanted to sleep out there because it was cleaner than my room. The bed was like sleeping on the floor. Can't wait to leave this disgusting place so I can home an shower an sterilize my clothes-not joking!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank SweetJosie
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.We booked it on Hotwire. It is an old hotel that was built in the 1920's. It was probably a 5 star hotel in the 20's, just not now. If they would go in and update the rooms, it could be again. As a matter of fact, it dropped a star on Hotwire the week before we stayed there. ( I was not happy about this!)

Our room was on the 6th floor and faced the back, parking lot side of the hotel. The air conditioning was a window unit a/c with plywood and 2x4's around it. Glad we were on a higher floor!! We had to use the clothes hangers to hang and fold up the curtains, otherwise they would have either had to have stayed opened or they would have hung in front of the a/c unit!

The rooms were very large in comparison to other hotels that we have stayed in. They are just old, since the hotel is almost 100 years old!! The room and fixtures and the bathroom were clean, just old and in desperate need of some repairs and updates. If they could scrape off 100 years of paint and do a few updates in the bathrooms and add a little more storage for luggage and clothing, this could be at least a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 star hotel! It really has potential, due to all of the "character"!

I can honestly say that I have stayed in FAR, FAR worse hotels!! This hotel room was clean and our room was made up and cleaned every day.

The location of this hotel is good, as it is in the city!

When we booked, we were told that the parking was free, however when we got to the hotel we were told that parking was $7 per day, since we were guests of the hotel. The parking lot was horrible and it was a miracle that our car was not hit or damaged, as the parking spaces are too close together and the parking lot isles are very close together. We opted for parking next to the trash cans, since that area is bigger, due to having to get the trash trucks in and out!! The parking lot was also full of potholes and bumps and just plain unlevel terrain!!!

Over all, if I had to, I would stay at this hotel again, but I would have to get the room for less than $70 per night! I would not pay any more than that!

The customer service from the desk employees!!! That was actually the worse part of our stay, and it was not just us that experienced it! They seemed to treat everyone with the same sour attitude. I'm sure that they get all kinds of complaints about the hotel, due to age and stuff, but the attitudes of the people working there could greatly improve the atmosphere!! They seemed like we were putting them out by simply checking in and out of the hotel! They seemed like we were wasting their time, each time we asked a question or requested anything! No smiles, no "Thank you's", nothing but looks and "huffs" from the employees each time you approached the desk, if you were lucky enough to find someone to wait on you at the counter!

And the Aveda products stink...They did nothing to improve my stay. I actually tossed out the lotion because it smelled so bad.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room for the views of the city! And park next to the trash cans!
1  Thank txtrvlrs
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at the astor for 2 nights, It is definitely not a modern looking hotel, but has character. The parking is less expensive for any hotel downtown, $7 for the lot behind the hotel or $12 for valet. They do offer a free shuttle to downtown and they will take you wherever you would like to go. They also have a continental breakfast, which is very convenient. We stayed in a king room, that was remodeled. It had a flat screen tv, desk. The shower had really good water pressure. The room was a little small and there are no dressers, but otherwise it served its purpose. We got dropped off on Brady st, but walked back since it was not far. Also around the corner from the Astor is the County Clare, an irish pub. They have about 20 beers on tap and they serve it in the correct glass for each beer. They also serve authentic Irish food, hubby had the shepherds pie and it was realy good. We would probably stay at the astor again since it is a good deal.