“Enjoyed the stay minus the room key I supposedly 'lost'”
Review of Astor Hotel

Astor Hotel
Ranked #49 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Enjoyed the stay minus the room key I supposedly 'lost'”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I like the vibe of this older, historic hotel, great location and the extremely comfortable beds,. However it is a little loud as the doors leading to the hallway are hollow and walls thin which may be a problem to some. Staff was very friendly, pretty decent cold breakfast offered. My real only complaint was the $20 lost key charge to my credit card after I returned it. I first misplaced the key at checkout so agreed to the $20 charge, however 5 mins later I found it in the car and returned it immediately, the male at the computer said he would return the credit to my card but actually never did. After much conversing with staff and GM over the phone, I finally got the credit back. The odd thing is the staff swears there are only 2 keys there for our room, the old bronze and new silver they had made up because I 'lost' one. I wonder where the original 3rd key is???

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Serenity K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Wayne, PA
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel is in a great location off the downtown scene near the lakefront. The place has lots of character in an older building. The lobby is comfortable and the side room would be great for reading or relaxing. My biggest problem was the noisiness of the hotel. I didn't sleep a wink between the thinness of the walls and reverberation in the hallways. There were other sounds I couldn't quite figure out but they definitely were constant. The bed wasn't too bad but could have been better. The smell of recent paint fumes didn't help much either. It was nice to include breakfast but it wasn't much to write home about. The water for the cooler in there wasn't replaced at all during the two nights we stayed even after mentioning this to someone. Staff was mostly pleasant but I think the hotel could do a better job of communicating in general. We were there the night you set your clocks ahead an hour in early March and they didn't put out any reminders in case guests weren't paying attention to that.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JillyPhilly
Waukesha, WI
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I will start by saying my wife and usually stay in nice hotels, the Hilton, the Intercontinental, etc.

This place looks nice in the lobby and has a good bar. Also there is a decent view of the city from the roof. That would be all the positives for this review.

When we arrived, we went to registration and had to yell for someone to help us check in. There was no one at the front desk. After yelling hello, anyone there for a few moments, someone finally came up. It reminded me of Super 8 hotel when you arrive late at night. This was around 5 on a Saturday. Not at all acceptable in my view.

The lobby looks good, marble tables, nice piano and grandfather clock, nice looking bar. It was the only part of the appearance of the hotel that was good. We were on the 9th floor. Upon exiting the elevator, we were greeting to poorly painted walls and terrible carpeting. We past rooms that were missing parts of their room numbers. Long hallway that reminded me of a few scary movies.

The room itself was small. Good size bed but it took up 70% of the room. Only one chair. Flat screen TV in our room but friends who were staying next to us had an old tube tv. Bathroom was decently sized for such an old hotel but was in the same condition as the rest of the room. The windowsill was marble but the window itself was broken and peeling paint. My wife tried to pull the blinds up and instead broke them by tearing the whole assembly down.

The bed decent enough. No sign of bed bugs as other reviewers have described.

The worst part of it all was the smell. A musty, smoky smell. It was awful. My wife sprayed perfume down the hall and in our room. It made it at least tolerable.

All in all, it was worth the price we paid. We got a cheap hotel in downtown milwaukee. If you spend more than 65 on a room here, you are being ripped off. If you are looking for a cheap room, go to the Best Western. Avoid this place

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Fuzz227

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 18, 2012

blackout curtains, and Aveda amenities in bathroom made for a very pleasant, nice stay at this historic hotel. The breakfast - fresh orange juice and home-made waffle, cereal, toast - in the sunny dining room was relaxing and exceeded expectations. Shower was hot with good water pressure. I found the hotel staff to be personable and helpful. Special mention goes to the grandfather clock in the lobby that chimed out the hours and minutes - nice touch. (Clock chimes were not at all obtrusive - I did not hear them from my room on the 2nd floor -only as accompaniment in the lobby/breakfast area)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 59733Margaret
rambwreck
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed at the Astor for 4 nights in a deluxe queen room. The hotel lobby was impressive. A grand old building. The rooms were what we expected. Older furnishings, not much closet or drawer space, marginal bed (but very nice linens). The walls are somewhat thin and we were bothered by hall noise on the weekend nights. But the staff was really friendly and the location is excellent. They have nice continental breakfast each morning as well. Restaurant was closed most nights but there is plenty within easy walking distance.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank rambwreck
Oconomowoc WI
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Hotel appears very nice. Was there for a friends wedding. In a packed bar I asked for a drink (ave price $6.00) The bartender after numerous attempts to get his attention took my 10.00 and then in passing asked if I wanted change. It was packed and I was caught off guard thinking the drinks were more expensive. later at another bar in the hotel the drink was $6.00. Are the bartenders suppose to try to rip off guests?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chief400
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My sister and I stayed here for my bachelorette party night. We went out on the East Side of Milwaukee and chose the Astor due to its proximity. Little did we know how accomodating they would be! The hotel shuttle took us to the restaurant for dinner where we met my friends. The hotel bartenders were fabulous. The only reason I don't give this restaurant 5 stars is because the rooms are out of date - old 24 inch Zenith TVs and ice only available on the first floor were the main drawbacks. There is certainly some charm to the antiquity of the place, however. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends