“Lower your expectations and you'll be OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Astor Hotel

Astor Hotel
Ranked #47 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Ohio
“Lower your expectations and you'll be OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I recently spent three nights at the hotel in a "parlor suite." I love historic hotels, but this former grande dame suffers mightily from lack of capital improvements and from poor management. Cheapness and cost-cutting win out over guest comfort. The room: a parlor suite is a strange animal, sort of like a studio apartment with a dining alcove. I still am not sure of the point of a little cafe-sized table with two chairs in a big dining area. Athough I was assured several times that the room had been renovated, I guess that depends on your definition of renovated. Some of the sparse furniture was battered and the television was from a byegone era. There were wide open spaces where furniture and wall decor should have been, the bathroom was vintage and the kitchen was dated. But the desk chair looked pretty new, the room seemed painted fairly recently and there were plenty of shelves in the closets. The aged window air conditioner was not up to the task of cooling the room, so it was too warm to sleep comfortably even though it periodically screeched throughout the night. There was not enough light, and the lamps and ceiling fixture were not well enough planned, to read very easily (you might want to bring your own). The service: the people at the front desk were very nice and seemed competent. Housekeeping was nearly non-existent. They devoted perhaps 60 seconds the morning after we checked in to smoothing the cover on the bed and replacing a couple of towels. After that, they ignored the room entirely for the rest of our stay.
The included continental breakfast was of the type you might see at a low-end chain motel. The breakfast room was far too small to fit the number of people trying to eat. There is a restaurant and a bar, but they are seldom (or maybe never) open; they are used, I think, for private parties. There is a vacant feel about the place. Signs outside advertise to renters.
Unfortunately, this is the kind of experience that drives people to stay in Hampton Inns rather than charming older properties.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a renovated room, and don't waste your money on a parlor suite.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

I was very hesitant to stay here after reading all the negative reviews on tripadvisor and prepared myself for the worst. What a pleasant surprise though when I checked in. The front desk was courteous and my room was great. Big flat screen TV, the whole room had been updated. Maybe i just got lucky, but some friends of mine had the same experience. I actually overheard a lady complaining at breakfast that her writing desk was too small. Pleeezz..... I think some people just like to complain. I will be back here again next year for Summerfest. Plus bonus, free Internet. How many hotels offer this nowadays?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank skatzenm
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

We just stayed at the Astor. Our objective was to be near the lake and the downtown area. We didn't want to stay in a chain hotel-we were looking for more ambience and romance. This hotel fit the bill and the price was right. We didn't need all the amenities since we were just staying the night. Because of trip advisor we knew what to expect. We brought our own electric cooler. The staff was very helpful with parking and registering. The parking lot was behind the hotel and cost $7 per night. If I hadn't have been parked close to the back entrance it would have been difficult to bring the luggage cart to transfer my stuff from my car to the room-luckily I was. I did not see any valets around to carry my luggage or park my car. This is an historic hotel, so they must keep many original features intact. I felt like I was in a turn-of-the-century novel-it really takes you back. I felt our room was ample with a connecting room to the bathroom. The bathroom was small and quaint. We were able to walk to the art museum and lakefront and even caught some fireworks. It was truly a romantic evening and I would highly recommend this hotel for a weekend. We'll definitely be back if we get the chance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hdepaq
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

This hotel must have been something in its day. The grand lobby, filled with classical music, conjures up a bygone era -- visions of the movie "Grand Hotel" kept popping up in my head. As I stood at the front desk and looked at the many mail slots, I thought of how I would like to have lived during a time when messages were sent on elegant paper with fountain pens.

This hotel is old, and it appears to have been decades since it had a substantial renovation. Yet it has elegant touches -- Aveda soaps and flat screen TVs. Its location is excellent, right in the historic district downtown, and 10 minutes walk from downtown or the art museum. But there were the double-hung windows that were stuck shut in the bathroom, their varnish worn off from years of neglect. Fortunately, it was chilly when we were there, and we didn't have to put the window air conditioning units to the test.

Yet the staff was friendly and helpful. When we told them we had nowhere in our tiny room to place our luggage, they delivered a luggage rack to our door quickly, along with a big bench for a second suitcase.

Breakfast was an unexpected bonus. We're not used to seeing a free breakfast included with downtown hotel rooms. By the way, we paid only $59 for our room. Parking would have been another $7, but we parked on the street and saved the money. (We had to call the Milwaukee police and tell them we were doing street parking, by the way, or we would have been ticketed.)

All in all, the hotel lacks much elegance above the first floor. But we found it charming and well-located, and we felt that we got a real bargain for our money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pfbird
Lyons, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

If you like creepy and smelly this is the place to stay. Reminded us of the tower of terror in Disney. Windows don't open and place smelled rancid. Overpriced and noisy. If you are a Marquette parent, stay in your car. Staff said we will fix the window problem but never did. Suite kitchen smelled rancid and elevator was scary. Breakfast that was provided was bagels and cereal. Do NOT stay here. Awful from the minute you walk in and wonderful when you leave.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank marquettemom

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

Let me paint you a picture... 9th floor. No air conditioning. Windows that are screwed shut. 80+ degrees. A room so small you can barely walk around the bed. A bathroom with no fan & a shower that scalds you every few mintues. Cracking paint on the wall. Rusting fixtures. Odd odors. No amenities. Squeaking bed with unattached headboard that slams into the wall everytime you move. Welcome to The Astor...we hope you enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank Jennifer G
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

The hotel is good, It has nice rooms and the staff is very helpful.

Recently they changed their wifi to Ethostream, it worse than pathetic.

Imagine not even getting speed of 1Kbps in any hotel in US. 1 Kbps is very liberal by the way, even pages like google take several seconds to load up.

My advice if you need Internet, which most would try to have some backup.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business