“Great place to meet friends, enjoy wine, have a bistro lunch”
Review of Northleaf Winery

Northleaf Winery
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Milton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On any given day you can find fun at Northleaf Winery! Complimentary tasting, share a bottle of wine and a cheese tray, try our unique wine and chocolate pairings, paint a wine glass or a wine bottle, or just hang out with us in the tasting room or on the deck. Northleaf Winery is a small, urban, family winery. All wines are made on site in craft batches, from grapes grown coast to coast. The tasting room is in an 1850 building on the National Registry of Historic Places. We give tours of the winery by reservation, and have a free video tour in the tasting room. We have a Bistro & Market next door with a huge deck for outdoor eating and music events, and fondue dinners the last Saturday of each month. A spacious and luxurious Guest House sits above the Bistro for a great getaway for you and your special someone.
milwaukee, wisconsin
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Great place to meet friends, enjoy wine, have a bistro lunch”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Visited on a Friday with a friend. 4 wine samples are free, additional samples are $1. Very reasonable. While not a huge fan of the wines, the wine tasting area is really welcoming; pourer was very friendly and knowledgeable; atmosphere was relaxing with lots of tables; surrounded by really interesting wine-related goods and, of course, their wine. We left with cool t-shirts...I don't usually find t-shirts in ladies styles.

We followed the fun wine-tasting experience with a really good lunch at the bistro across the parking lot. Home-made bread, home-made soups, great service, indoor and outdoor seating--and lots of it! This place is bigger than it looks from the outside. Has a stage for music on the large patio. I had the Combo with the #1 sandwich (ham, muenster cheese, avocado spread, whole wheat bread) and the featured quiche (lorrainne) and loved it. My friend had a salad and the french onion soup--which smelled so good I wish I would have also ordered a bowl. The menu is designed to create your own sandwiches, although their suggestions are awesome.

I will definitely want to stop in again and again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jannaqq

Greenville, South Carolina
120 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Northleaf has us hooked”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We came here to stay and relax and it was awesome! Gail was delightful and very passionate about her wine, guest house, and bistro. The winery tour was very informative.

Inspired: Gail and the amazing job they did restoring this great 1850 wheat warehouse

Service: fantastic at bistro, winery, and guest house

Wine: w great variety - something for everyone

Atmosphere: relaxed and inviting

Discovered: via airbnb

Return: absolutely!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank 275GTS
Gail N, Owner at Northleaf Winery, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your kind reviews! We so enjoyed having you and hope to see you back. Take care.
Freeport, Illinois
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great Wine!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We were given a Groupon for a wine and cheese pairing at Northleaf, as well as a gift certificate for a stay in their guest house.

We are wine fans, but not wine snobs; out of the four that we picked for the tasting, two of them (Volstead Red & a Chardonnay) were so good that we bought a half-case of each to take home. The red is mostly Cab, with just a pinch of Syrah added to give it a real smooth cherry finish. The Chardonnay is soooo smooth; no harsh aftertaste that many "good" chardonnays try to disguise as flavorful.
The guest house on the property is a real treat, too. It's an entire floor above their bistro, is very clean, and well appointed. A great night's stay and a place to enjoy a bottle of their fine wine at the end of the day.

The next morning brought us to brunch in the bistro downstairs; homemade breads, soups, and quiche were the order of the day, and they did not disappoint. Once again, as is typical in Wisconsin, the waitstaff and other workers were incredibly nice. I know the state thrives on tourism, and it is easy to see why they handle it so well.

Thumbs up to the winery, guest house, and bistro!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Steve T
Baraboo, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wining with Friends”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I was visiting the lake here in Milton just a few weeks ago and we all decided to stop in the town to visit this winery. We all partook of the wine samplings. I tried the Redhawk Reserve Riesling, Green Apple Riesling, Clear Lake Road Red, and Town Square Series Muscat. The first four wines are free of charge and any extra you wish to try are just $1 more per sample. The service was lovely, our server was quite friendly and helpful with the explanation of each wine. I ended up purchasing the Redhawk Reserve Riesling and was pleasantly surprised that a bottle came in at the price of only $14.00. I would recommend this as a great place to stop for an activity a little out of the ordinary. I have heard that the bistro next door is a great place to stop for lunch as well.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank lifestartingnow
Milton, Wisconsin
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I live right up the road from the Northleaf Winery and Bistro and am embarrassed to admit I am finally just now stopping in. My husband and I were there today for a spur of the moment lunch and I was very pleasantly surprised. I chose the half sandwich/salad combo and it was wonderful. The homemade bread and sandwich spread were delicious and spinach salad perfect. The service was outstanding and the outside patio was lovely on a warm Saturday afternoon. I will definitely be back and next time plan to spend some time at the winery. This is a hidden gem in the small tow of Milton, WI.

Visited May 2014