“Disappointed”

Northleaf Winery
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Milton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On any given day you can find fun at Northleaf Winery! Complimentary tasting, share a bottle of wine and a cheese tray, try our unique wine and chocolate pairings, paint a wine glass or a wine bottle, or just hang out with us in the tasting room or on the deck. Northleaf Winery is a small, urban, family winery. All wines are made on site in craft batches, from grapes grown coast to coast. The tasting room is in an 1850 building on the National Registry of Historic Places. We give tours of the winery by reservation, and have a free video tour in the tasting room. We have a Bistro & Market next door with a huge deck for outdoor eating and music events, and fondue dinners the last Saturday of each month. A spacious and luxurious Guest House sits above the Bistro for a great getaway for you and your special someone.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Visited this location due to all the positive reviews left by others.

If you enjoy getting your wine served in ice cream soda glasses and eating poorly made sandwiches made with lunchmeat and cheese that is of no better quality than what can be purchased at a gas station then this is the place you want to visit. I felt like I was making the waitress go out of her way when I asked to have my wine served in a proper wine glass. The Panini style sandwich was inedible because it was served cold and over sauced which made it literally fall apart in my hands.

I do not enjoy writing negative reviews because of the negative impact it might have.. but I'm truly left in confusion after reading the prior reviews. Maybe others are ok with drinking wine out of soda fountain style glasses.. or ok with a sandwich that looks and tastes like it was made by a 5 year old, but unfortunately I'm not.

We were planning on visiting the winery next door for a tasting but opted out of it. I felt like the service and quality was going to echo in there and we did not want to continue down that path.

I truly hope that this was not the norm for this winery.. and based on the prior reviews maybe we were just the exception.

4  Thank SMOKED1
Gail N, Owner at Northleaf Winery, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Thank you for your feedback; it is always enlightening to read what our guests have to say.

I apologize that your experience at our bistro was not up to your expectations. I would have hoped that if your food was not satisfactory when you were served, you would have sent it back and had us remake it or ordered something else. While most of our breads are made on site, and all of our spreads are our own unique recipes, we do use center cut deli meats, and Wisconsin cheeses from a cheesemaker whose business has been open since 1908.

When we opened the Bistro we purchased glass goblets that are of a thicker construction to stand up to the high volume of use we hoped they would get. The manufacturer suggested this particular goblet for a number of beverages, so we went with that choice, since we serve a number of beverages. There have always been wine glasses on site at the Bistro, for those who preferred them, but we will, at your suggestion, consider using them as our standard.

I’m very sorry you missed out on the winery, as that is where our expertise lies. We are a small family winery with award-winning wines, all crafted on site.

So, just to clarify this: we are a winery that happens to have a sandwich shop next door for your convenience, not a sandwich shop that happens to have a winery next door.

Thank you once more for caring enough to share your thoughts with us. We depend on the opinions of our guests to know how we are doing.

There are newer reviews for Northleaf Winery

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Perfect venue for midweek visits with girlfriends! The staff is fabulous! It's our own "Cheers" in Milton, WI where "everyone knows your name"!

1  Thank tkiac
Reviewed April 15, 2014

So happy and proud to have Northleaf in Milton! Not only is the place adorable, but the wine is so yummy! Merlot is my favorite! Pair with cheese or chocolate or combo your night with a dinner at the bistro across the way. Music almost every Fri, patio in the summer, super nice employees, fun stuff for purchase. Just a great place!

1  Thank Andrea Z
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We visited Northleaf Winery a few weeks ago, and it is now one of my favorite Wisconsin wineries. They do an awesome chocolate and wine pairing. Their wines are wonderful, and they have some great wine products for sale as well...picnic baskets, cheese trays, lanterns, etc. Highly recommend!

1  Thank mexchi
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had a Groupon for lunch and a wine and chocolate tasting. Lunch was very good with a good variety of sandwiches, salads, soups and quiche on the menu. The wine and homemade chocolate tasting was novel and fun. They had selected a good variety of wines and paired them with confections that brought out specific flavors in the wine. We could also taste additional wines for a small fee. The winery building is a very cool old building with exposed timbers and they had it decorated up nicely with bistro tables and lots of gift items. We would definitely return.