“Horrible treatment by management”

Prairie Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #15 of 106 Restaurants in Middleton
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Middleton, Wisconsin
“Horrible treatment by management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

I used to love this place - I came here once every week or two for breakfast and to sit and write for an hour or two (I'm a grad student working on my thesis). The food is expensive (~$12 for two eggs, toast, bacon, coffee) and the coffee isn't great, but the atmosphere is nice and I didn't come all that often so it seemed like sort of a luxury. The staff also isn't particularly outgoing, though not downright rude... until today.

Today is Sunday, and I arrived around 8am. I usually try to get there kind of early and leave before it gets busy so I'm not taking up a table. I bought a big breakfast (as described above) and sat down to work. Just over an hour later, I was approached by a middle-aged man whom I assume is the owner or manager but whom I've never seen before. He asked if I was aware of their "new policy" about Wi-Fi on Sunday mornings, and how they don't want people just hanging out using the internet when it gets crowded. (No sugar coating, that's almost verbatim what he said.) For the record, I wasn't actually using their wi-fi, I was writing. Whatever. His point was obvious. I stared at him for a few seconds because I couldn't believe that a proprietor was actually asking me, a paying customer, to leave when I had been there only an hour and in fact still had toast on my plate. He suggested it was fine for now but that when it started to get crowded I should get out. I said that if that's how they felt I would leave now, and he responded, "That's exactly how we feel." I was shocked, and still am. I have never, NEVER been treated so disrespectfully in a place of business. And I'm a regular, paying customer!! I always leave a tip! I still can't believe I was treated this way.

I will no longer recommend this place, now that they've shown their true colors. If the food was exceptional I might try to swallow my pride, but it's really nothing special. There are several other breakfast/coffee shops in the area (including a Starbucks across the road) and I will be patronizing them from now on.

• Visited December 2011
6 Thank E S

middleton, wisconsin
“Great neighborhood cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

This little cafe/coffee house is located in Middleton Hills. They serve great quiche, bakery items, homemade soups, sandwiches and salads. Breakfast and lunch are both worth stopping in for. A charming atmosphere with lots of art on the walls that is for sale.

Visited November 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
“Very nice - cash only, though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

I've eaten here once for breakfast and once for lunch last week. My biggest surprise is that they only take cash. This caught my colleague and I by surprise since most places these days do take credit cards. Nonetheless, the quiche and salad was reasonably priced and very good. I will be back if I'm in the area.

• Visited June 2011
“Limited menu & hours. Good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

Limited menu & hours. Good food.

Madison, Wisconsin
“This is one of our favorite places for breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

This is one of our favorite little spots...good food, a quiet atmosphere, and great, all-you-can-drink coffee. They usually have 3 or 4 coffee choices, too.