“Like a trip to N.O.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Like a trip to N.O.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Live jazz pianist playing in foyer, lent a classy touch. Restaurant is in the "cellar," which is nicely repurposed with brick walls, arched ceilings, small chandeliers. Food was tasty, well prepared and portions were VERY generous, could easily share an entrée.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank wisconsinwinegirl

Wethersfield, Connecticut
“Amazingly good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My initial thoughts upon entering the lower basement establishment were quickly changed with my shrimp appetizer that featured 6 perfectly prepared butterflied shrimp served with a light but wonderful tasting barbecue sauce. The other members of our party were also enjoying similar experience with different appetizers. As the main course I had the filet mignon with garlic mashed potatoes which were equally delicious. The service provided was top notch and would return to this restaurant again. The prices were a little higher but you get what you pay for here and what you get is very good food.

• Visited June 2013
Middleton, Wisconsin
“THE BEST FROM ALL THE REST!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We all have those places we love to go for a special occassion, or simply a craving for great food in a wonderful atmosphere. It's in the basement, great everything. I love their escargot, their fish dishes, well, just everything! It's PRICEY so be prepared but that's what you spend when you want the best food consisently. My daughter and I love to go there best of all. We save up to go there as it's really that good. And their chocolate tart cake is divine. The piano player (yes, they have live music) is very talented so if you have to wait at the bar - you won't mind. Interesting people, service could be a little more attentive but we put that aside as all we care about is the chef and he or she is amazing!

Visited May 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Give it a try!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My visit to Louisanne's was based both on recommendations on TripAdvisor and from friends - and the experience was a good one.

The service was friendly and efficient and the basement dining room has a cosy intimate atmosphere, helped greatly by the live music.

The choice of food and wine is wide and interesting. Unfortunately I chose a "special" entrée, a spicy crusted tenderloin. I love spicy food but the flavour of the crust completely overwhelmed what was already a really good piece of pork. The end result didn't make the most of the ingredients.

But overall it was a great evening out and I'd go back without a doubt.

• Visited April 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Atmosphere trumps food trumps service-- but a fantastic bar!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We were celebrating my niece's graduation from UW-Madison, and selected this place as our special venue.

It started out as promising. We had to wait a bit, so we say at the bar. The bartender was beyond fabulous-- respectful, yet entertaining; attentive, but not in our face. The drinks were well crafted. The pianist knew his blues, along with a few jazz pieces. We had two rounds and our table was ready.

We received our appetizers and drinks at a not-too-rapid, but not objectionable speed. The crab cakes were the best of the choices. Skip the shrimp. The pork was ok.

After we ordered, we received our salad course in about the same speed as the appetizers. But we waited over an hour between salads and entrees-- not without reminders to our server that it's been a while. By the time our dinners arrived, we were tired and disinterested.

The roasted shrimp had no relief, as didn't the catfish. The cloying sauces covered everything, do there was no break or balance from the over-the-top Cajun sauces. We're Italian and can handle spicy foods, but this was just food masturbation on the chef's part. The sauce was all over the place, with no apparent balance.

To top it off, I woke up the next morning with what was determined (via nurseline back home) to be an msg allergy.

If I were to go back, my venture would stop at the bar, then travel elsewhere for dinner.

• Visited May 2013