“Worst hotel experience ever”

Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I travel a lot and I must say this was the worst experience I've ever had. My family and I were able to check in early at 1pm which was nice. We immediately noticed that the room felt warm. This day the outside temperature was in the upper 90's. I walked down to the front desk and mentioned the issue. The first response was that they didn't have anyone available to fix these problems on the weekends. We discussed switching rooms but apparently the hotel was full and the only room available wasn't a suite which is why we decided to stay at the Staybridge in the first place. The lady at the front desk then suggested that I turn the temperature down by 3 degrees only and then see what happens. After 2 more hours of my family being uncomfortable I went back down and mentioned the issue again. The front desk again said they didn't know what to do and eventually said they'd call a "manager." Someone did finally come to the room 30 mins later and immediately says that they don't know anything about maintenance and are mostly in charge of the food services. She attempted to reset the system and again advised us to "give it some time" and it should be fixed. She also said that this was a problem last week as well and the real maintenance team said it was fixed. 30 mins after she leaves the temp has climbed another 2 degrees. At this point I go to the front desk and say that my family is checking out and that we're not paying for the room since it's broken and they knew about it and they can't fix and no similar room is available. The response was that she couldn't authorize non-payment for the the room and that management wasn't available until Monday (this day was Sat) and that I would have to call on Monday to discuss the issue (i.e. waste even more of my time). How ridiculous right? No maintenance team? No manager? No service. Anyway, at this point I proceeded to point out these failures including the sign on the wall which reads "number one in customer satisfaction" and the fact that I wasn't satisfied. Finally I walked away and started packing our things to move. The front dest did call up in 10 mins to say that she was able to reach her manager and that we didn't have to pay for the room and that they were giving us 2000 rewards points. We didn't get fully moved into the new hotel until 945pm at night. This was definitively the worst service I've ever experienced at any hotel. They are under staffed and in my opinion not responsive to the needs of their customers.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Melissa C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear Melissa C,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding early check in.

However, We’re sorry about the air conditioning and the poor customer service you received from our staff which was unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Overnight stay with a buddy and me, staying in two separate rooms. Pleasant and efficient check-in process and in our rooms pretty quickly. Rooms were of typical Staybridge quality and comfort with the normal small kitchen areas, closet area with items expected for an extended stay (laundry basket, etc). All areas very clean.

Beds were comfortable and both of us slept well in our rooms.

Breakfast next morning was decent with some proteins, pastries and breads, waffle station, cereals and fruits.

Location was decent for the Middleton area, right in the "downtown" area of the Madison 'burb. Parking for the hotel is actually underground, which I can imagine in the winter would be a nice perk.

Perhaps only (very small) concerns were the entryway, being in a shared parking lot, was not quite as typical of Staybridge as you mostly have to climb stairs and there isn't really a carport area to drive up to. Also, while I have seen this in other Staybridges I'm not much of a fan of non-automatic opening doors - not even a handicap door opener option. Especially with my buddy being in a wheelchair, this is annoying. Even without the wheelchair it's a bit of a pain to wheel a luggage cart trying to maneuver doors without an automatic opening door.

All said, I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank wouldbeworldtraveler
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed for a weekend with our two kids (3 & 2). Perfect place for a family. Nothing fancy, but it's quiet and clean and the free breakfast is good. Staff is very friendly. Plenty of parking, and pool area is clean and just the right size for kids. Safe location and easy to find (right off the Beltline, aka Hwy 12/18). We like to stay on this side of town because it's a short drive to West Towne Mall, Greenway Station, and lots of restaurants. Best of all, this hotel is only a minute or two walk to the Old Middleton area - we only discovered this on the second night of our visit, but the hotel really should advertise this more! Neat restaurants, a cute gelato shop, etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank abbyr960
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had an unexpected late night trip to Madison when a family member ended up in the emergency center at the UW hospital in critical condition. We didn't make it to the hotel until after 1:00am. When we checked in at the the front desk, we asked if there was any kind of a special rate that the hotel offered for circumstances like this. Our front desk attendant was not sure, but in sympathy for our situation she offered us a slightly lower than normal rate.

She took the time to check into it overnight, and the next day when our bill came under the door she had attached a note expressing sympathy and saying that she found a company rate for UW which was even a bit less and had made sure to give us that instead. Thanks Lily G. for being so caring at a time that was very difficult for us. At times like that every little bit of kindness helps and it meant a lot to us!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rebekka R
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We booked this since it was the cheapest option with the highest reviews. Clean, comfortable rooms and curteous staff. Great breakfast, would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ihavethetravelbug_7
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I am currently sitting in my room. The highway is directly outside my window. It is about 20 yards away. Consequently the room is very loud. Very difficult to sleep. I have spoken with the staff about changing rooms, but they can not help.

The shuttle to EPIC is good. The facility is pretty good. Free food in the morning. Rooms are larger than normal hotel rooms. Mine even came with a great used toothbrush by the sink. Other than that the room seems clean. This hotel might get 3.5 stars from me if it were not for the horrible noise issue.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 341. Get a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear Silrak,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I'm sorry your stay was affected by the ambient noise surrounding the hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed April 12, 2012

The assistance and hospitality of this hotel is second to none. I travel 3-4 days per week for work and I will not stay anywhere else in Madison. They are the best. They make hotel stays feel “like home”. Social every Tue-Thur with food and drinks is a great add on.

Room Tip: Their two bedroom suites are huge and great if you are bringing the kids for a weekend getaway.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business