“beware of atrium construction”

Madison Marriott West
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Chicago IL
“beware of atrium construction”
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We stayed overnight on June 22 & 23 for a family wedding. This was one of the hotels providing a special price. Looking at the website it mentions some remodeling of the atrium. Let me tell you that it was not mere remodeling but total reconstruction. Jackhammers (even on Saturday and Sunday), dust and dirt everywhere--even though they hung heavy plastic sheets between the rooms and the atrium.

My daughter and son-in-law had their four children (triplets still nap) and what a circus it was to try and get them sleeping at nap time. They finally took them for a ride in the car!

Our second room did not get cleaned until 5:30 p.m. and another in our party never did get cleaned--by the time they came to clean the room it was time for them to get ready for the wedding.

To add to our grief, only one elevator (holding 10 max) worked in the entire building. In order to get down, you had to ride the elevator up--or you'd never get it.

Good news. The bride and groom were so mad, they called the hotel and we all got our rooms comped. That made it somewhat better, but with the wide variety of choices of quality hotels in the area, don't stay here until the total project is completed.

You have been warned!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirt, noise, reconstruction, lack of working elevators
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank ldg4283

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Springstead, WI
Reviewed April 23, 2007

I stayed here alone on April 11. 2007 for a Love and Logic Seminar (which I also recommennd). The downside was the late 'winter storm' and the 4 hour drive turned into 5 was miserable. The hotel staff was superb, and check in went smooth. I asked to leave my suitcase at the desk while I parked the car so I wouldn't have to attempt to drag it through the snow, and when I returned to the lobby, it was already in the room! I had a huge clean room with a king size bed,sofa, and huge desk, and still plenty of room had my husband and daughter come along-whiich wasn't in the plan. Service was great and food very tasty in the restaurant for dinner. I surveyed the breakfast buffet item menu the night before and for the price, I decided room service and selected items I wanted for breakfast and still less than the buffet cost. The food portions are huge and can easily be split. This is also what I did for lunch, as I had been granted late check-out of 2pm and was able to enjoy lunch hour peacefully iin the room and checked out during seminar lunch break. The entire staff was very professionnal. My only disappointment was the storm that delayed my travel time and put a damper on my shopping plans while I had the luxury of being alone for a night, but there is always another tiime!
Fabulous hotel with little to no highway noise, and great staff. This is also a no smoking hotel.

• Liked — most everything-staff and cleanlinness
  • Disliked — High cost of buffet breakfasts and lunch
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank jaden6
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Was in the area for a dance competition & stayed at the Marriott the end of March. Overall, a very nice place, great staff, great location, excellent food.

Location: right off the main interstate and within a couple hundred yards of a fair sized shopping area, complete with restaurants, a number of stores, etc. Only 3 miles away is a huge mall - the West Towne Mall, I believe.

Food: We ate at the hotel's restaurant 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts. There were other places right near the hotel, but timing and weather conditions made the hotel the perfect choice. We weren't disappointed. Every meal was great. Also, because the restaurant is in the big open area of the hotel (the atrium), the kids could play around while the parents waited for the food and had some drinks.

Rooms: we had a king suite and it was very roomy - a bed area & a separate living room area with mini-fridge & microwave. The king bed was very comfortable and the room was well kept. The only complaint? The pull out couch is REALLY not comfortable. I wouldn't recommend it for people with back problems. Also, there is a giant waterfall in the main atrium. The thing is probably 5 or 6 stories high. Unfortunately, it doesn't go off, so all of the rooms can hear it go, all night long. Bothered me a little bit, some others it didn't, and others it really kept them up.

Service in all areas of the hotel was excellent - not an issue at all.

Would we stay again? Absolutely. It wasn't really all that expensive and I think a good value.

• Stayed March 2007
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Just returned from a one night stay at the Marriott West. There has been a MAJOR snow storm in the Madison area. I have a bad leg - it is hard for me to deal with snowdrifts etc.

Upon arriving at the front door, I called the desk to see if someone could deal with my car - Lauren came running out, parked my car and took my bag.. This morning another young lady went out to get my car and left it in front of the hotel for me.

EVERYONE was just terrific at this Marriott - the lady who served breakfast ( I was with a client ) was so gracious. I WILL be back.

MPF

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Mp0010
Charleston, WV
Reviewed December 4, 2006

The hotel was incredible. Great room, location was convenient, ample free parking, plenty of dining and shopping in the vacinity. The only complaint is the internet was pay per day use, but the signal from the Fairfield Inn across the street was stong enough.

• Liked — The room was quality
  • Disliked — Pay per use for internet services
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank vsizemore
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 3, 2006

A co-worker and I had a series of meetings in Wisconsin and The Marriott Madison West was our favorite (for business) of the two hotels where we stayed (we also stayed at the Concourse downtown).

While this hotel is not in the immediate downtown area, it was fine for us because it was near where our meetings were. The shuttle drivers that took us to the meetings were great, and there was free bottled water on board, so these drivers made a lot in tips from us.

The bed was great, very comfortable, and came with 5 pillows! I always sleep with a lot of pillows and for once I did not have to call to request more. The toiletries were great too, Bath & Body Works orange/ginger. The bathroom towels were nice and fluffy and there were herbal teas in addition to the coffee in the room.
I used room service for dinner and was pleased.

The gym had newer equipment with 2 flatscreen tvs, and two of the treadmills had their own tvs.

Internet was not free, $9.95 a day, but i had a great connection. There was no free breakfast, either, but all the other plusses of this hotel make up for that and I would stay here again the next time I come for business.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank CatSchroedinger
Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed October 30, 2005

This hotel is not really in Madison, but in Middleton, on the western edge of Madison. It is a $25-30 taxi ride through town to the hotel. The hotel shuttle leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport on the half hour and does not start until 7AM, so if you have an early flight you are forced to take a taxi.

The hotel has an attached convention center. If you are attending a convention there and want to pay a little less, there are lots of other chain hotels (Fairfield, Hilton Garden, etc.) within walking distance. The hotel is a converted Embassy Suites. The atrium can get a little loud if there is a big group at the bar, but the noise does not really penetrate to sleeping rooms. I did not sample the menu much but my Greek salad lunch seemed overpriced. The rooms are clean, the shampoo of high quality, the towels thick, and the beds are comfortable. They willingly accomodated my wish to change rooms, and even found the phone charger I left in my old room. The gym is fairly well equipped. The windows open, even on the 9th floor, a real plus for me. All in all, your basic business hotel experience. No charm, but no surprises, either.

Stayed October 2005
7 Thank wguterbock
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West
Comfort Suites Madison West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Courtyard Madison West/Middleton
Hampton Inn and Suites Madison West

Been to Madison Marriott West? Share your experiences!