“Average Marriott Hotel, Excellent staff”

Madison Marriott West
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
New York City, New York
“Average Marriott Hotel, Excellent staff”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My spouse and I have stayed here several times over the years and have always been happy with the hotel.

Cons:
- The only consistent issue we've had with the facility is the cavernous atrium in the center of the hotel, which all the rooms face. When conventions and groups aren't in the lobby, the noise isn't a problem. However, during one of the recent large conventions, the noise traveled all the way up to the 10th floor into the AM hours, which was quite disruptive for us and several of our other co-workers on the lower floors.
- A/C was out for a few hours this week during one of the warmer days. It wasn't until VERY late at night that this was fixed.

Pros:
- The food in the concierge lounge is good. They have eggs, crispy bacon and sausage every morning with the usual pastries, oatmeal and fruit.
- If you're going to Epic, then this hotel's shuttle service is way better than the coach bus. You don't have to wait for a greyhound bus full of people and there aren't multiple stops on the way to/ from Epic. As soon as one shuttle is full, it will leave and the other shuttle will wait for the remaining guests. We've often returned to the hotel by 5:15ish.
- The staff is wonderful - it's this hotel's single biggest asset! They're actually the reason we come back everytime we're in Madison, otherwise we'd stay downtown. Chet, Tameka and Steve at the front desk have somehow managed to remember our preferences for every visit and happily address us by name everyday (without logging into the system). Susan in the concierge lounge goes out of her way to make all the members in the lounge feel at home. And Mike, Jon (drivers) and George have always been accomodating with driving us to/ from Epic, the airport and other locales (for dinner). Everyone is super nice and has never once alienated anyone at our company.
- There's a good collection of stores and eateries within walking distance (Sprecher's, Claddaugh's, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Johnnie's Steakhouse, etc).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. They truly are great and we appreciate all of their hard work. We will continue to work with our overnight staff to limit the noise and appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Boston
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

There's no sparkle or pizazz to the Marriott Madison West, but I had no issues during my brief stay for a business trip.

The room was clean, but in need of an update. Some of the furniture was so rickety I was worried it was going to break out from under me, and the cheap fixtures were showing their age slightly.

The mattresses are imitation memory foam, and a little bit too firm for my tastes, but your mileage may vary as everyone's sleep preferences differ.

I have a love-hate relationship with the "cavernous" hotel design, because while it provides an airy and open atmosphere, it also means that anything happening in the lobby transmits to all the room doors. I was on the second floor and heard conversation and the active water fountain sound from my room. Thankfully activity died down later in the night so I could sleep, but I highly recommend a room on the highest floor you can get so you're furthest from the noise.

The staff was friendly and courteous and I had no complaints about the service during my brief stay. This factor alone makes the hotel worth coming back to, in my mind.

The restaurant actually has decent breakfast entrees; I recommend the crispy French toast. Naturally, go out somewhere else for your coffee.

The convention center is small but functional, with food service that was on-par. I will note that Wifi at the event was worse than usual with frequent drop-outs, and "tech support" handed me a phone number for an outsourced company that doesn't even service the hotel any longer. No one at the event could stay online for more than 5 minutes and the staff's only advice was "reboot." Being in I.T. myself, I know how finicky wifi can be so I don't like to nitpick on it too much, but It definitely needs work in the con space.

Overall, this isn't a bad hotel, and a few folks have judged it a lot more harshly than I would have. Not a bad stay, and I wouldn't have a problem doing so again.

• Stayed May 2013
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that the staff service was a deciding factor in your return to our property. We are continuing to improve our facility as we wrap up renovations and hope that the improvements will continue to add to your experience. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was a nice hotel for the price. It is located next to East Towne Mall and many restaurants. The lobby and room were clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but as all we were doing was sleeping at the hotel, this wasn't a problem. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank your for taking the time to respond. We continue to strive to improve our facility and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Gladstone
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Madison West on the evening of Thursday, April 25th 2013 and upon arriving at approximately 7:30 pm, noticed there were meal trays along the hallway to my room from earlier guests. This was my first red flag and should have been more of a warning sign to me about the lack of cleanliness and service offered by the hotel. At approximately 10:30 pm, I turned in for the evening only to find that there was a splattering of blood on my duvet. I immediately called guest relations and they offered to move me to another room or have someone from housekeeping service the room. I opted to have the room serviced since I was so tired and did not desire to pack up my bags, etc. Housekeeping arrived and changed the duvet and cover. However, once they left and I was ready to again retire for the evening, I found more blood on the bed sheet. By this time I became frustrated and asked to change rooms. Guest relations found me an upgraded room and provided a free breakfast in the morning along with 10,000 reward points, but I still ended up paying for the room. I am not happy about my stay nor with the leadership in this hotel. Obviously these issues are systemic and begin at the top with leadership that is concerned about the cleanliness of their business and a truly satisfied guest experience. A clean sweep is probably needed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience. We agree that this is unacceptable and I am glad that they staff was able to offer some restitution for your experience. Although an isolated incident, we have taken steps through retraining to ensure that this issue does not occur again. We would like the opportunity in the future to show you what we are capable of and deliver and much better experience.

Travelers are raving about these Middleton hotels

Almond, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was expecting more. The conference services were good, but my room was not. The bathroom was too small, bath/shower too small, no hair dryer. The room didn't have a switch to light up the room - I had to go to each lamp to light up the room. Also found the pillows too hard.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. As we conclude our renovations here, we hope to have many of these items addressed. Hair dryers are in each room and our pillow package is being changed and upgraded as well. The lighting situation has also been rectified, ensuring that all lights are pluuged in to the correct outlets. We invite you to stay with us again in the near future and experience the improvements that have been made.
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a regular at Marriott Hotels. I found this hotel to be subpar. Front desk staff was great as was James behind the bar. My room....had two double beds. I requested a king for my week long stay but was denied due to the hotel being full. The room wasn't as clean as I would have liked. Comforter had a rip in it. Was never changed. Housekeeping didn't do a very good job at all. Shower had handprints, sink was dirty. Not what I expect from a Marriott. Had to pay for internet in my room!! Shocked! Room was noisy as well. Heard plenty of outside noise. Won't be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank arejay37
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Although we cannot honor all requests for different room types, we try to meet as many as possible. In addition to our current room renovations we are also completing additional retraining in houskeeping to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We look forward to having you experience our hotel after our renovation is completed.
Edgerton, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Hotel was a fairly nice place to stay with very good service. The only issue we had was construction going on during night time hours that made it difficult to sleep. Many places to see and eat nearby.

Room Tip: North side units get wonderful sunlight in the morning.