“Just the basics, but reliable.”

Madison Marriott West
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

There's no sparkle or pizazz to the Marriott Madison West, but I had no issues during my brief stay for a business trip.

The room was clean, but in need of an update. Some of the furniture was so rickety I was worried it was going to break out from under me, and the cheap fixtures were showing their age slightly.

The mattresses are imitation memory foam, and a little bit too firm for my tastes, but your mileage may vary as everyone's sleep preferences differ.

I have a love-hate relationship with the "cavernous" hotel design, because while it provides an airy and open atmosphere, it also means that anything happening in the lobby transmits to all the room doors. I was on the second floor and heard conversation and the active water fountain sound from my room. Thankfully activity died down later in the night so I could sleep, but I highly recommend a room on the highest floor you can get so you're furthest from the noise.

The staff was friendly and courteous and I had no complaints about the service during my brief stay. This factor alone makes the hotel worth coming back to, in my mind.

The restaurant actually has decent breakfast entrees; I recommend the crispy French toast. Naturally, go out somewhere else for your coffee.

The convention center is small but functional, with food service that was on-par. I will note that Wifi at the event was worse than usual with frequent drop-outs, and "tech support" handed me a phone number for an outsourced company that doesn't even service the hotel any longer. No one at the event could stay online for more than 5 minutes and the staff's only advice was "reboot." Being in I.T. myself, I know how finicky wifi can be so I don't like to nitpick on it too much, but It definitely needs work in the con space.

Overall, this isn't a bad hotel, and a few folks have judged it a lot more harshly than I would have. Not a bad stay, and I wouldn't have a problem doing so again.

• Stayed: May 2013
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that the staff service was a deciding factor in your return to our property. We are continuing to improve our facility as we wrap up renovations and hope that the improvements will continue to add to your experience. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was a nice hotel for the price. It is located next to East Towne Mall and many restaurants. The lobby and room were clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but as all we were doing was sleeping at the hotel, this wasn't a problem. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank your for taking the time to respond. We continue to strive to improve our facility and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Madison West on the evening of Thursday, April 25th 2013 and upon arriving at approximately 7:30 pm, noticed there were meal trays along the hallway to my room from earlier guests. This was my first red flag and should have been more of a warning sign to me about the lack of cleanliness and service offered by the hotel. At approximately 10:30 pm, I turned in for the evening only to find that there was a splattering of blood on my duvet. I immediately called guest relations and they offered to move me to another room or have someone from housekeeping service the room. I opted to have the room serviced since I was so tired and did not desire to pack up my bags, etc. Housekeeping arrived and changed the duvet and cover. However, once they left and I was ready to again retire for the evening, I found more blood on the bed sheet. By this time I became frustrated and asked to change rooms. Guest relations found me an upgraded room and provided a free breakfast in the morning along with 10,000 reward points, but I still ended up paying for the room. I am not happy about my stay nor with the leadership in this hotel. Obviously these issues are systemic and begin at the top with leadership that is concerned about the cleanliness of their business and a truly satisfied guest experience. A clean sweep is probably needed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience. We agree that this is unacceptable and I am glad that they staff was able to offer some restitution for your experience. Although an isolated incident, we have taken steps through retraining to ensure that this issue does not occur again. We would like the opportunity in the future to show you what we are capable of and deliver and much better experience.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was expecting more. The conference services were good, but my room was not. The bathroom was too small, bath/shower too small, no hair dryer. The room didn't have a switch to light up the room - I had to go to each lamp to light up the room. Also found the pillows too hard.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. As we conclude our renovations here, we hope to have many of these items addressed. Hair dryers are in each room and our pillow package is being changed and upgraded as well. The lighting situation has also been rectified, ensuring that all lights are pluuged in to the correct outlets. We invite you to stay with us again in the near future and experience the improvements that have been made.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a regular at Marriott Hotels. I found this hotel to be subpar. Front desk staff was great as was James behind the bar. My room....had two double beds. I requested a king for my week long stay but was denied due to the hotel being full. The room wasn't as clean as I would have liked. Comforter had a rip in it. Was never changed. Housekeeping didn't do a very good job at all. Shower had handprints, sink was dirty. Not what I expect from a Marriott. Had to pay for internet in my room!! Shocked! Room was noisy as well. Heard plenty of outside noise. Won't be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank arejay37

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Although we cannot honor all requests for different room types, we try to meet as many as possible. In addition to our current room renovations we are also completing additional retraining in houskeeping to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We look forward to having you experience our hotel after our renovation is completed.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Hotel was a fairly nice place to stay with very good service. The only issue we had was construction going on during night time hours that made it difficult to sleep. Many places to see and eat nearby.

Room Tip: North side units get wonderful sunlight in the morning.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your response. We do apologize for the distractions during your stay during our renovation and would love for you to visit our hotel again upon its completion. I would ask that you reach out to me directly prior to your next visit so that I can ensure you are accomodated.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference at the hotel.
Room- I had a king room on the 7th floor. It was quite spacious, with a small couch. The bed was comfortable, shower had great water pressure. My only complaint, if you will, was that there were cards promoting being "green" suggesting that if you hang your towel, they won't replace it etc, in order to conserve water. I did hang my towel, but I still found that it was replaced with a clean one, and I was also given new shampoos/soaps when I still had plenty leftover from the previous day. Some may see this as generous (woohoo, freebies!) while others may see it as wasteful.

Conference facilities- The room itself was fine, temperature was okay, verging on chilly at times, but not enough for me to pull on a jacket. The food was delicious. We had lunches each day and the selections were good, and quite tasty. The desserts were massive.

Location- I didn't venture far from the hotel, just to the outdoor shopping center that is essentially across the street. There were plenty of dining choices nearby and better shopping in that one center than my whole town, so I was pleased.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. Our efforts to continue to improve our green practices are always evolving and we will use your comments to work on this program. Thanks again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Madison West
Hampton Inn and Suites Madison West
Courtyard Madison West/Middleton
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison
Super 8 Madison South
Super 8 Madison South
#14 of 63 in Madison
Hampton Inn & Suites Madison Downtown

Been to Madison Marriott West? Share your experiences!