“Disappointing first visit will be the last”

Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurants
Reserve with OpenTable
Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurants is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 111 Restaurants in Middleton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lake Street, Allen Blvd
Description: Captain Bill's waterfront restaurant features award winning seafood in a rustic, casual and fun waterfront atmosphere. Recently voted "Best Seafood Restaurant" in the Best of Madison poll, Captain Bill's diners rave about the clam chowder, crab cakes and coconut shrimp. Escape to our waterfront deck, enjoy an ice cold beverage, a mound of shrimp and oysters, crab, lobster or our Friday night fish fry. Happy hour in the bar Monday thru Friday from Open until 6:00pm and all night Thursday .
Reviewed June 18, 2013

From the start our first visit to this restaurant was less than stellar. At the hostess station we were asked if we had a reservation, when we said no we got an unfriendly stare and then some mumbling as they worked out where they could put us. Granted it was father's day, but we were prepared to wait and/or be told that they couldn't seat anyone with a reservation. However, to be grumbled at and grudgingly sat made us feel unwelcome from the start. Our waitress was very friendly and beverages came quickly, as did the (delicious) clam chowder one person ordered. However, it took over an hour for our food to arrive. People who were sat AFTER us, received their food, and left before we ever saw our main dishes. After an hour of waiting we asked our waitress when we could expect our meals and were told that the kitchen was backed up because two large parties came in. I understand that things might be a little delayed due to the holiday, but the rest of the restaurant wasn't even full and I would hope that since it was a holiday, the kitchen would be well staffed and prepared for large groups. And other than the clam chowder, the food was so-so. One person's egg's Benedict was over cooked - the eggs were literally hard boiled.

2  Thank bwfoodie76
There are newer reviews for Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurants

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was my first trip to Captain Bills and definitely my last. We chose the location for their Mother's Day Buffet which we were all excited to sample. Upon entering the restaurant we were greeted and seated very promptly. Our table was right behind the employee who was tasked with working the carving station. The placement was not very wise, every time the employee moved he bumped into our group. The place was quite busy so I guess you have to take what you can get in these types of situations. The food was pretty good and offered lots of options even thought it was a little over priced given the physical appearance and quality of the restaurant.
Once our group was finished eating it took quite some time for the bill. During this time we were asked by what I will assume was one of the restaurant managers to "please move to the bar because we have quite a few people waiting to sit down and eat." In all my experience in the restaurant industry as a patron and employee I've never heard or seen this done. Don't you usually have people wait in the bar before their meal not after? As we left I noticed the 6 people waiting to sit could have easilty been accomodated at the dozen or so empty chairs in the bar area. The so called manager was like school on a Saturday...no class. Thanks "Captain Ron" for a total lack of respect. A word to the wise, when working the dining room floor, duct tape is not a wise choice for repairing your yellow Crocs.

2  Thank Barleypopsipper
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We were given a friendly greeting at the door and went to the patio to have a drink before dinner. Good drinks and a pleasant view of the water. I wish I could say that the dinner continued the good experience. Nice menu with many choices, including a number of great sounding specials. Sad to say, the clam chowder which was the only tasty part of the meal. (Chowder or side salad cost extra by the way). The soft-shelled crabs was unappealing looking, mushy, and tasteless. (And, yes, I've eaten many soft-shelled crabs.) It was served with a baked potato and a few strands of overcooked asparagus. Very disappointing.

2  Thank Madison025
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love Captain Bill's! It's just a comfortable place with good food, good service and a cozy atmosphere whether sitting by their great firepit or on the patio in the summer months for a view of the lake and great crab cakes! It's fun - it's great for a date night and wonderful bartender's with great old fashion drinks from the past or speciality drinks that are new and fun to try. I always ask for Ali when she is availabe as she is a sweet and prompt waitress. All their servers are excellent and the management has improved the cooking a lot over the past year. I know that the restaurant needs some updating so I didn't give it a 5star but, on the otherhand, I still like it a lot and always feel good when I leave there.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

It is always fun to go to Captain Bills, what ever the season may be. It is fun to get there a little early an enjoy the lake views, the cool fish aquariums, maybe sit around the rd. fireplace area in the bar, and the food, especially, the Clam Chowder, the bread and the tuna is super delicious!