“Cheap and it shows”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Merrill
Anacortes, Washington, USA
“Cheap and it shows”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here three nights due to a family commitment in town. Thought I'd save a few bucks and went for the low rates. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. The continental breakfast was sadly lacking - cold cereal, toast, and day old danish. The bagels were dried out and sorry looking. The room was all right, but the bathroom was not clean. Even after a cleaning, it was not cleaned thoroughly. The walls were quite thin, and we were "entertained" by the nightly activities of our next door neighbor. The pool was closed, so we couldn't even use it. I will spend a few extra dollars next time and upgrade to a nicer place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelfan144

We will consider your comments and will take action on it.

From last few months we are updating our Hotel, which will fulfill expectation of our customers.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is my second time staying at this property and it's the rate that brought me back. We try to make a weekend visit to some of our favorite Northern Wisconsin bike trails every summer and it's worth it for me to stay away from the tourist areas, drive in for the day to hike, bike, mini-golf or whatever, and return to our motel in the evening.

The Econo Lodge is convenient to the freeway, right next to a grocery store, gas, and fast food. It's quiet and has an indoor pool and whirlpool at a rate 40% lower than comparable hotels further north.

I don't expect too much from Econo Lodge, and this is a middle-ot-the-pack property for that chain. The desk clerk was efficient and friendly. The outside entrance door does not latch properly, so anyone could enter without a key. I didn't consider that a big deal in Merrill.

Our room was relatively clean, although I saw the need for a vaccum behind the nightstand and desk. This occured while I was looking for an available electrical outlet, of which there are very few. The lights could have been a bit brighter. One bed had a mattress that was OK, and the other bed needed replacement. The towels were relatively new. Everything in the room was in working order, if a bit dated or worn. The "flat screen TV" was actually an old picture-tube model (although technically the screen was flat).

Water pressure in the shower was very good, but the hot water was insanely hot, more so than I've encountered anywhere before. It took a while for hot water to reach our room , so they may have been trying to make up for a lack of supply. We never heard noise from other guests or the nearby businesses.

The pool appeared to be properly maintained. It was a bit cool but not bad. The whirlpool ran from good to a bit hot, and we only saw one other person using it the whole weekend. The reivew form asks about a fitness center, but there is none.

Breakfast was the bare Econo Lodge minimum: coffee (no decaf), 2 cereals, bananas, juice (orange only), bagels (1 kind) and bread (white only). I took one bite from a dried out danish and tossed the rest.

For accommodations alone I might have rated this 2 stars, but for this chain at a low rate they merit 3.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CorpsofDiscovery

We will consider your comments and will take action on it.

From last few months we are updating our Hotel, which will fulfill expectation of our customers, such as LED TV, Beds and Cleaness.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

so ive stayed at alot of places all over and i found this to be reasonably priced and hassel free staff i usually go in pretty tired and like to b left alone...i slept well the cleanliness was ok not great but certainly not the worst....yup i'd do it again....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Thanks for Review our Hotel.

I hope you will be happy on next stay with updated services.

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Just like all others I thought the staff was very helpful and nice. The rooms were clean and the beds were great. However, our room was not "furnished" with a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, or hair dryer. With three kids the fridge was needed during the 90 degree day. The pool and hot tub were dirty, could not let the kids swim. Internet access was unavailable or limited. Plus the signs say this is a smoke free building but multiple times the hallways were filled with smoke. We will not be staying here again. There are nicer places at just the same price just down the road.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

We will consider your comments and will take action on it.

Yes, Our Hotel is 100% Smoke free but when customer did smoking out side and come inside carry smell of smoke. Anyway we have hall freshner in hall so now no smoke smell at Hallway.

Marquette, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I made a mistake with a reservation booking at this hotel and the staff was amazing in helping me fix MY MISTAKE. Emily an employee at the hotel was as I said amazing. She helped me fix a reservation error I made when booking. Next time I visit Merrill, WI I will be staying at this hotel and recommend others to stay here too! When you have an staff so dedicated you know your visit will be nothing but perfect. I would just like to once again say wonderful customer service and thank you for all of your help. I look forward to visiting this hotel and the wonderful staff!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
bob2716, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for commenting about our staff service. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.
Waupaca, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

I have stayed at ths hotel twice and both times have been awsome. the staff are very friendly very helpful. the rooms were spotless. the pool and hot tub were very well taken care of. these people know how to treat their guests. i go to drill weekend once a month in merrill and this is the only hotel i will stay at. and the only hotel i recomend to people and fellow soldiers. also the price was the best. very reasonable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
bob2716, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay here. Thank you for posting your review, and we look forward to seeing you again.
Piscataway, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for his 3-day work engagement. I was happily surprised to find the staff to be so friendly and helpful in spite of the very late check-in (it was nearly 2:30 am). The room we stayed in was spacious, clean and had a comfortable bed. I don't really sleep well in hotels (who does!?) but it's worth noting, had a pretty sound sleep. The sheets were clean (a big one for me) and overall looks like the hotel is maintained well. You can tell the staff really cares and is willing to help. Not only that, the first day in we realized the microwave included in the room wasn't working properly and the manager replaced it right away without making us wait (good service considering we were staying for more than 1 night.) We'd definitely stay at this place if work calls for another trip.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mena19
Dear mena,

Bob Mehta
econolodge
715-536-9526
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrill
Badger Hotel
Jefferson Street Inn
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 10 in Wausau
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!