“Good place to stay!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mercer
Milwaukee, WI
“Good place to stay!”
Reviewed January 18, 2009

My family has been staying at the Great Northern for about 10 years. The original owners when we started going were awesome and it was a very nice place to stay. It's still a great place - but like someone else said, the standards are a little lower up north. We thought we'd try a different place up north this year and it turned out to be DISGUSTING and was only $5 cheaper a night than the Great Northern.

The rooms are always clean - I was in the room when the cleaning crew came through and they are all middle-aged nice women who live in the area. I've never had a problem with the room being dirty, it's just an older motel.

I've used the pool, 2 hot tubs, and sauna in the past. This past weekend, the motel was packed with snowmobilers (to be expected in the winter) and it was actually very quiet. Our room overlooked the lake & snowmobile trail, but we had no complaints. We were also able to stay in the "pet wing" because they allow dogs and were very accommodating.

We spent a night in the bar - normal, average bar but drinks were pretty cheap. I've ordered room service from the bar/restaurant before and it's your good greasy bar food (which I happen to love!) The "continental breakfast" is really just toast, juice & coffee but it was still up at 11am which was nice. The bar/restaurant also has an all-you-can-eat breakfast for $8, but we didn't try it.

Overall, it's an older motel/hotel but still a great place to stay if you want to experience the north woods. It's minutes from downtown and near a grocery store, Subway, etc. If you're not looking to rent an expensive cabin for a week, this is definitely the place to stay.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, small-town feel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sara3494

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 24, 2006

I've stayed at the Great Northern every year for the last 5 years or so. I think the hotel is about 10 years old. The 80 rooms are spacious and the rates reasonable. We paid $89/night for August.

First, you have to remember that accomodations are at a different standard in northern Wisconsin. The rooms are clean. The rugs could use replacing but are not dirty. The staff is friendly and helpful. The accomodations are not luxurious but OK. If you ask for a lake view, you get a nice view of Lake Santo Domingo. The lake is a decent size for a row boat - about a quarter mile in diameter. It has a pair of loons on it and we have seen blue heron on it. There are paddle boats and a fishing boat with paddles you can use to go out on the lake. You can catch small bluegills and perch along the shoreline near the weeds. My daughter loved it.

The showers/tubs are standard Holiday Inn-caliber. Clean. The shower heads are low but you just bend over a little. You don't get shampoo and soap is bars of Cashmere Bouquet!

Watch out if you use the phone. I used my laptop and called Lac du Flambeau and it cost me almost $20 for two 20-30 minute sessions. It must have been local long distance.

Breakfast is a unique toast bar in the Great Room. That's it - toast. Plus coffee and juice (apple & orange). It is surprisingly OK. Choose the cinamon raison bread - it is the most filling. Like I said - the hospitality standards in the north woods are just different from elsewhere in the country.

There is a nice pool and hot tub that is not used much - you'll probably have it to yourself. There is also a sauna. The bar is standard north woods. I haven't eaten in the restaurant. There is a nice little restaurant across the street that serves breakfast and lunch.

I've stayed here several years and will again. There are very few motels in the area that take less than weekly guests.

The hotel is just south of downtown Mercer.
---

2 Thank chibearbob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
Comfort Inn
#6 of 11 in Ironwood
Days Inn Hurley
Days Inn Hurley
#1 of 3 in Hurley

Been to The Great Northern Motel? Share your experiences!