“Happy customer”

The Great Northern Motel
The Great Northern Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mercer
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have stayed here in the past. The new management is doing a great job! The continental breakfast was a great improvement!! The bar looks great love all the tv's! My room was very clean. The staff and housekeepers were very helpful. The motel is older and needs some more improvements but the things that have been done so far are wonderful!! Keep up the good work. I would recommend it to my friends and family. Oh yeah we paid when we checked in just like when we stay in the dells.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Hockeywild30

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here recently for 5 nights to vacation with friends nearby. I booked it because it looked decent, was located conveniently, and included breakfast. What a mistake! when we checked in I was billed for all 5 nights up front. I have never done that before and felt uncomfortable but went ahead and complied.
First the pool is empty which would have been nice to know. The room is large but that is the only positive. The carpet is worn, stained, and has lumps in it. the mattress is ancient with sheets that look like leftovers from a hospital. the towels are tiny, frayed, thin, and the type I use to dry my muddy dog. The shower head was place for people under 5 feet, although the water was warm. The whole room needed replacement beds and linens.

The breakfast was beyond terrible. When we checked in the clerk said they hoped to have fresh fruit soon but we waited 2 days for bananas. The choice was plain Cheerios or microwave oatmeal with cheap bread and tasteless brown water for coffee. They stopped putting coffee pods in our room after 2 days. I went to the grocery store next door to buy fruit and berries and into town for some great coffee.

I should have demanded a refund after 1 night but was too busy enjoying every other aspect of the beautiful north woods. I filled out the room evaluation when we left with the above complaints and asked the apparently off site manager to call me. hat was 5 days ago and you are correct if you assume I have had no call back. It's an incredible disappointment because we have vacationed in the area for 30 years and never had anything but great rentals.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Ann8458
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have came here every year for our family reunion and i have always been greeted with a smile. I love the great room, i love the rooms having their own name so they are fun to locate with our kids. The rates for us are affordable and there is a resturant right there for convience. Our experience was wonderful. And the best part is it is sorta rustic and cozy.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank haydenjesse
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

The outside looks so nice and the price is a little steep, this made me think that it was going to be a fancy place. When I walked in there were burn marks all over from cigarettes, still smelled of smoke. The bathroom still had finger prints on the wall. They have large rooms with like a 17" TV. The shower head was 5' high and I'm 6'4" if your short it's all good I guess.

Pros... plenty of parking , large rooms

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Arctichiller
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have been staying here since the second year it opened, 1991. We spend one week in February snowmobiling, usually one weekend in the Fall, and maybe another weekend somewhere inbetween. It is right on the main N-S snowmobile trail connecting to many very nice wooded trails, and the Fall colors can be fantastic. Many good-great places for a full meal or just a burger. Also a Subway next door. Unfortunately I cannot argue with some of the reviews. It does need updating and there are things that need to be fixed up. The rooms are very spacious with two queen beds in each. The TVs are old, the carpeting is old, but so are we getting older. The Great Room off the lobby is a great place for our group to get together. It has 3 walls of windows with very nice view just about any time of year. The employees are very nice and will do what's within their power to help you. I will also be doing reviews on eating establishments in the area, including Around The Corner Pub, The Liberty Bell Chalet, Little Bohemia, Dear Lodge, Bear Chasers, Squeaks, and Pine Lake Lodge. It probably shows we like to eat around there. You burn alot of calories snowmobiling. As of right now their pool is out of order & the hot-tub next to it. They do have another hot-tub that is separate. Their Bar serves very good food also. If you want a very well manicured place, you probably won't be happy. If you can look past the fixing up it needs, I think you will enjoy it. A five star motel it's not, but it's the Northwoods.

Room Tip: First floor, lake-side, sections off the lobby. The bar area can be noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ddwess
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We made our reservations for two rooms over the phone for Dec 29 & 30 something came up and we had to cancel. When we called to cancel we were told that our reservation for the 30th had already been canceled. Is this their common practice to accommodate people who want to stay longer? But after reading some of the recent revues maybe they were doing us a favor.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank RoseJ27
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This hotel was nothing more than 'disgusting'. I was so excited to bring my boyfriend to Mercer and show him around where I grew up. Let me tell you, my choice of hotel was actually embarrasing! I reserved the "King, Hot Tub Suite". While in the hot tub, the bubbles turned brown. We had to get out of the hot tub and shower! There was no tv in the bedroom, the carpet was nasty and the 'painted' wall paper was falling off the walls, oh ya, did I mention the mold on the ceiling in the bathroom???
The pool area.....oh gosh, the whole ventilation system is gone. there are 2 windows on each end of the pool. On one end there are 2 fans in the windows, I'm thinking this is their ventilation system. Doors are falling apart, water damage on the ceiling and broken windows. The actual pool seemed clean. The hot tub was too hot for me to go into. Overall, I think it won't be long before this hotel gets condemned it the owners don't put some $$ in it and try to turn it around. There are lots and lots of things that need to be fixed including their 'sand beach'...no sand on their beach. I could go on and on and talk about the m & m's that were on the floor in our room, no soap, no shampoo....but I think I've made my point.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jkb54157
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
AmericInn Ironwood
Indianhead Motel
Indianhead Motel
#4 of 11 in Ironwood
Budget Host Cloverland Motel

Been to The Great Northern Motel? Share your experiences!