“Sadly, a disappointment.”

Joey Gerard's Mequon
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Take a step back in time at Joey Gerard's, a Hollywood-style supper club that features traditional, time-tested menu offerings, nightly specials, and classic cocktails and ice cream drinks. Steaks, chops and seafood are cooked in the Midwest's first Josper charcoal ovens, giving them a perfectly seared outside and a succulent, juicy inside
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were disappointed when the former restaurant in this location, The Riversite, closed. Mequon lost one of its few places to eat, let alone GOOD places to eat. We were excited, however, to learn that the well-respected Bartolotta group was opening another restaurant in this location. The combination of the fact we have eaten at other Bartolotta restaurants and were quite impressed, plus all the hype surrounding this new one opening, made us doubly eager to try this. Our first visit was less than impressive. They stuck us in a booth by the server's entrance, and despite the constant back and forthing of the servers, we were not well attended. Add to this the overall noisy surroundings, particularly of the people seated in the booth behind us. A server did make eye contact with me on one occasion, acknowledging the annoying group - but none of the staff addressed it. As for the food, brag all you want (as they do) about the old supper club style, but this does not even come close to Bartolotta standards even though everything on the menu is pricey. The bread is like commercially packaged dinner rolls, and the relish tray is forgettable. The entrees are mediocre, the service sub-par. Servers leaning against a wall yawning was the last memory I have of the evening. We hoped to attribute this to a glitch that would be worked out but alas, the last time we were there it was a similar experience. Our server obviously knew many of the customers and it was like old home week - except Hubs and I felt like intruders to the party. Drinks did not arrive in a timely fashion, nor did the food. My veal was swimming in grease and, as our server admitted, was not just undercooked, it was raw. I'm sorry, but taking the offensive entree off the bill and offering dessert is no consolation. I was hungry and wanted dinner! All told, these were two mediocre to just plain bad experiences, surprising since this is a Bartolotta restaurant. If the kinks aren't worked out, I fear this will be another restaurant forced to close its doors. Prices similar to well-respected steakhouses, food and overall experience similar to Applebees. Except I've enjoyed some good meals at Applebees.

Joe B, Public Relations Manager at Joey Gerard's Mequon, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

We appreciate your feedback and would like to be able to follow up with you. Please e-mail media@bartolottas.com with your contact information. Thank you!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Maybe because the restaurant is somewhat new, they are still struggling to get things right. When we arrived promptly for our reservation on 4-20-13, we didn't get seated for at least 20 minutes. A bread basket and relish tray were brought with the menus--either was anything special. I was very excited to see Bernaise sauce offered with the meat selections. I ordered a medium-rare filet with Bernaise sauce, steamed broccoli and the button mushrooms. My steak was charred on the outside and medium on the inside. The steamed broccoli, while being bright green and delicious looking, was cold and very raw--hard to cut with my steak knife and crunchy to eat. The Bernaise sauce I so looked forward to was bland. The button mushrooms were, yes, tiny and tasteless. My husband ordered prime rib medium rare, and it came medium to medium well. All-in-all a waste of $90. We will head back to Five O'clock Steakhouse on State St. in Milwaukee or any Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Joe B, Public Relations Manager at Joey Gerard's Mequon, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We would like to be able to follow up with you. Please e-mail media@bartolottas.com with your contact information.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and i went for the fish fry. The service was quick and friendly and even though the restaurant was full as we were finishing our mealwe did not feel at all rushed. My wife had the perch and I had the cod, both were excellant and the potato pancakes were fantastic. We were too full for dessert but what we saw going past our table looked wonderful.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

went on a sunday night service was slow I had the meatloaf wich is their sunday special it tasted like a salt lick for deer, my wife had a all but burned up top sirloin it was dry and tastless. The only thing good was the drinksBrandy old fashion and a singapore sling 8 bucks each and small but tasty. I wouldnt recomend this place to anyone

1  Thank Ron O

We would like the opportunity to learn more about your recent experience. Please e-mail media@bartolottas.com with your contact information and more details so that we may follow up with you. Thanks!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice dinner with friends on 4.4.13 and first time at this eatery. In a nutshell....nice atmosphere, pretty good service, fair food and overpriced for what it ended up being. While the overall was okay, I suggest that the folks that started this group of restaurants has a reputation that is actually better than the physical plant. I loved the relaxed atmosphere in a nice facility but can't get excited about going back or suggesting it.