“NO NO NO - NOT QUALITY”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Menomonie
Rapid City, South Dakota
“NO NO NO - NOT QUALITY”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I don't know where to begin! Guaranteed rate discount - no refund. Reserved 2 rooms for 3 nights in June. I will list a few items: broken locks on doors outside entrance in back, broken locks on our room, filthy dirty windows, grass not cut, barn swallow bird nests with birds surround the building resulting in bird poop on your car, room windows and sidewalks, trim falling off dresser, bedding soiled, freezer in fridge not working, linens in one of the rooms smelled smoke (asked for clean linens and room to be freshened and it was) pool area was GROSS, looked like algae growing, but was just badly chipped. Also, ceiling tile on main floor was BLACK AND MOLDY. We met our son and his family there for a family reunion. This is so sad because it could be such a beautiful place with just a little work. Do not stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dakotalois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mount Forest, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks on business,
The hotel and rooms themselves are not bad but the BIRDS. They should give you a coupon for the car wash which is just down the road. There are literally thousands of them living in hundreds of nests under the eaves. Just walking to your car is frightful. Dive bombing and pooping everywhere.
Rooms are clean but dated. Staff is friendly and efficient. The breakfast is what you would expect of this quality of a hotel.
Location is not good. Truck stop behind and highway out front. I got a backside room and I like to have fresh air but the diesel from the trucks and the noise made this unacceptable. I would have moved hotels but there was a Farm Tech convention and then the following week was Rock Fest.
The only good was that I was 2 minutes to where I was working.
I would stay here again but only if every hotel in the area was full.

Room Tip: Not sure what to say. Highway noise on one side or truck stop on the other.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gerald Mr D
Hamilton Ontario
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed 2 days when visiting friends.

I'll start with what was good. Check in. It was pretty easy. I was greeted with a smile and the rules were explained. I was warned particularly about not smoking in the room. (which we don't do anyway). I found that a bit odd given I requested a non smoking room.

We were told to access our room around the back of the building. That was where we started wondering. We assumed there was a renovation going on with a huge dumpster in the parking lot. This may have been because everything seemed to be dirty and the paint was chipped, patched outside and given the appearance of work in progress. To enhance our experience filthy bird crap covered walls and sidewalks from hundreds of nesting barn swallows around the perimeter's roofline. Nothing says welcome like dodging birds and their crap when trying to unload your luggage to enter a building.

We should have left then.

Upon arrival to our "newly" renovated jacuzzi suite, and even leading to it were many odd stale odors. The room itself had what looked like newer carpet, yet it retained the smell smoke from seemed like decades ago.

Furniture is crammed awkwardly into the tiny space and there are many signs that it should be chopped up for firewood. Some walls have been patched and repaired but not re-painted. Bathroom had a hole in the side of the tub, along with chipped and cracked floor tiles, broken baseboard and a shower rod held by one screw on either end. It will probably fall off shortly. Tried to ignore the dark ring under the inside of the toilet. Did not and wouldn't use the jacuzzi - I cannot imagine what might be hiding in the residual "jet" water. The bed was ok from a mattress standpoint, however we picked several black hairs off the sheets before trying to get some rest. Sheets came off the bottom right of the bed because they were worn out. The cooling or AC groaned and cycled all night doing its best to cool. Thankfully it wasn't hot outside because I don't think it would have kept up all night.

The vanity over the sink was nicely accented with a burnt out bulb, which seemed to help take the focus away from the chipped counter top. Even on day 2, the bulb had not been replaced. I'll even add, one of the washcloth's left near the safe in the entry closet wasn't picked up. There was a soap bar (from the previous guest) on the top left of the shower - it was never noticed (odd, you'd think they'd want to get the shower rod fixed) and would have noticed it.

Breakfast was in a stuffy room on the first floor. It was ok. We had a waffle and hard boiled egg. The coffee was hot, and the staff did a good job cleaning up the area.

The entire Choice Hotel chain should be ashamed of property's in this state. Take your business to a more reputable brand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mrmusic4ads

Travelers are raving about these Menomonie hotels

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The parking lot alone must scare people away. Hundreds of barn swallows swooping at you when you are outside. There was coffee (cold and old tasting) in the lobby. There is a damaged room upstairs with a sheet used as a door. I was told this room has been like this for years. Our room smelled weird. I don't believe the carpet had ever been shampooed. The pillow cases looked old. I pulled back the pillow cases and saw our pillows were very stained. There were no pool towels at the pool. The next morning I discovered what appeared to be bug bites on my legs. When I went to check out and complain, there wasn't anyone at the front desk. I went to my car to leave and saw the birds covered the car in bird poop. Luckily, there was a car wash close by. I would not recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank youngkarebear
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Where to start, room was clean but bed was too small for wife and I. I am 6" 2 225# they where only doubles in size. When checking in they notified me any damage would be charged to my card. So wouldn't you know as soon as we entered our room the dresser had a trim piece hanging down and they tried to hold it up with tape. Call the front desk to let them know, why didn't they just fix it before you would make it available? Lots of people staying there the weekend we where there, so at the free breakfest it was crowded and when they refilled the egg tray I took a healthy portion. They where ice cold!! the other stuff was ok. Needdless to say we ate else where. You might want to go somewhere else unless you like cheap rooms. I will be looking to stay at a different place next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike59929
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Me and my friend spent the night here because we were looking for morel mushrooms and planned to bike the Red Cedar Trail. The price was certainly right ($69/night). This hotel is located just east of downtown Menomonie, right off I-94.

The room was just fine. The linens and towels and such were exceptionally clean, and the bed and pillows were comfy... I'm a fussy sleeper. The shower was great with excellent water pressure and moderate temperature (seems like a small thing, but I've had terrible showers in much more expensive hotels). Being mushroom hunters, we really NEEDED a good, tick-removing shower after being out in the woods all day!

The breakfast buffet was okay. I guess it's pretty comparable to most hotels of this price range. The milk and orange juice were cold and the stuff that was supposed to be warm, was.

This hotel has a nice pool and the employees that we dealt with were very nice.

This is a good place to stop if you're on a travel budget and need to stay in western Wisconsin. Since it's right off the interstate, it's close to lots of things in all directions and there are a lot of things to do in this area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jackie L
wisconsin
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This spot is making the effort, and although it is a solid "OK" for the most part, there are a few weaknesses needing attention. First, on the plus side, the beds and linens were great - comfortable and fresh. The staff was very helpful and attentive to our questions and needs. The room was also nice and clean overall. On the downside, the faucets leaked ... not gushing, but a steady drip from both the sink and the shower. It didn't keep us awake at night, but it made for a pretty drab ambience. The worst was the free breakfast. It was advertised as the "Deluxe Breakfast," but this was like the Great Gatsby after the fall. The choices were poorly replenished. When we came down the only items available were biscuits and gravy and a few lonely muffins. When the harried provision gal did replenish the choices, the scrambled eggs were still cold on the inside. The breakfast was a bummer. But ... the room was only $79 so it was a wash.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menomonie
Best Western Plus Menomonie Inn & Suites
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Eau Claire
#16 of 25 in Eau Claire
Baymont Inn & Suites Eau Claire WI
Best Western Plus Eau Claire Conference Center
Super 8 Eau Claire WI
Super 8 Eau Claire WI
#15 of 25 in Eau Claire

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!