“Quiet clean and helpful!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Menomonie
Saint Louis Missouri
“Quiet clean and helpful!”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This hotel is on the outskirts of Menomonie, so not much closeby except the gas station/ truck stop but easy on/off the Hwy. The room was nice. Breakfast was good, although on Monday morning it wasn't stocked very well and the "attendents" were not doing a great job. Kelsey at the front desk was exceptionally helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Waldo, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here overnight while moving our son out of his apartment in Menomonie and attending a graduation in Eau Claire. While the hotel overall was not bad, there were a couple of things that I feel are worth mentioning.

When we drove into the parking lot, we noticed a lot of white spots on the pavement, almost like there had been a paint-ball competition held there. Turns out they have swallows nesting all along the roof-line of the hotel, and all the spots on the pavement-- bird droppings. While I generally like swallows, I didn't really like the fact that they could possibly drop something on me at any time I was going back and forth from inside the hotel to my vehicle. This may only be an issue at certain times of the year (spring - baby birds/nesting time?), but it is something I hadn't planned on having to deal with.

When we checked in to our room, in addition to the normal check-in signing, there was also a section that you had to initial for an additional charge if it was found that you were smoking in your room. This seemed a little strange since we had booked a non-smoking room. Well, we got to our room, opened the door and were greeted by the smell of smoke! Not over-powering, but it was there. Somewhat perplexed and because I had initialed that no-smoking clause, I went down to the front desk to report it. She said she was aware of the smell, that they had had a problem with some truckers in our room and one other one, so not to worry, we wouldn't be charged for it. She also said if we wanted a different room to let her know, they did have other rooms available. I said I would see, it didn't seem too strong a smell and if it had been just one time I would turn on the a/c unit and see how it was when we returned. MY MISTAKE.

Upon returning that evening, the room did not smell any better, it was worse if anything. I went down to the front desk to request a room change and they said they were sorry, but they were all booked up, no other rooms were available. So we had to live with it for the night. I went back up to the room, turned off the a/c and opened the window hoping that would help. No such luck. No air movement from outside, plus there was some sort of semi-trailer truck parking lot next to the hotel on that side and you could hear the hum of deisel engines running. All in all, not a very good night.

The beds were comfy though and other than the smoke smell the room was clean. And even the hallways smelled fresh and clean. The continental breakfast was adequate, waffles, cereal, pastries, coffee, juice, eggs, etc. and the breakfast area was pleasant. The lobby also had relatively comfy seating, which I took advantage of since I didn't want to stay in our room any more than I had to. Pool area looked good, although we did not use it.

Outside of the smokey smelling room issue, this was an okay place to stay, easy on/off, Kwik Trip right next door for mini-mart supplies/food and gas. It does seem to be a stop for truckers, only mentioning that because of the trucks running outside during the night.

My only (strong) suggestion to management would be to NOT give out rooms that have had recent issues unless they are the very last ones available. I still do not quite understand why we were given a room that smelled of smoke-- and they knew about it, when there were other rooms that didn't have that sort of problem still available when we checked in.

Room Tip: Make sure there are no issues with your room and if there are request a different room asap. Also ch...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
QualityInnMenomonie, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
First off, I would like to thank you very much for your feedback. As management of this hotel has recently changed, we are striving to make every change to ensure the comfort of our guests. It's comments like yours that help us move forward.

With regards to the parking lot, you can only imagine the headache that even those working at this property are facing this summer. While the DNR and bird services were contacted about removing the nests (as there is otherwise a hefty fine If we do so), we were told that because such wasn't done at the very beginning of the season, the nests are protected and we may do nothing. This fix would have been as easy as putting down net and spikes around the eaves of the building, however now we are stuck for the summer. However, this gives me a great idea! Today I will run to the store for a squeegee and car wash solution so that my team may take a short period to wipe down cars in the early morning with the permission of guests at check in. Before we were handing out car washes, however this becomes very costly in a short period of time when you have anywhere from 20-60 cars in your parking lot every day.

With regards to the smoking ban, this is state law and we are required to have this on our registration cards, so that travelers acknowledge that smoking in the rooms is prohibited and they will be fined should they ignore the law. As you can imagine, with cold winters many people who don't want to venture outside would otherwise just smoke in their room, however the reminder of that state law and the fee attached convinces them that it's not worth it. I apologize that you were checked into a room with such an odor and I'm glad the front desk person followed procedure and asked If she could change your room. The room you were in had been smoked in 4 days previously and had been given time with an O Zone machine to help rid us of the smell. I unfortunately am extremely sensitive to that smell and so I can certainly relate with your discomfort.

I apologize for these inconveniences as they aren't something you deserved to experience while staying with us. I also apologize for the communication error on the part of the front desk. We were in fact aware that the room had been smoked in, however that room was released from a block because due to an inspection, seemingly no longer smelled of smoke.

I hope there is a way we may follow up with our apology and I would be very pleased If you would email me at gm.wi131@choicehotels.com.

~Jacob
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed at the Quality Inn in Menomonie because we were going to a hockey game in Minneapolis and thought this would be a good place to stay for the night on the way back home to eastern Wisconsin. The first reaction from my son when we walked into the room was "Dad this room smells like a hockey locker room". He was right, the room smelled terrible. The carpeting in the room looked very old and very dirty. The runner for the window had a tremendous amount of black stuff that I wasnt sure was mold or just year's of dirt built up. We were on the first floor, closed the curtain and turned on the heater, the heater blew open the curtain. Had to use the lamp to hold the curtains closed.

The hotel has a complimentary breakfast. It was three small crockpots filled with eggs, bacon, and something else that I was not sure of. We did not eat any of the food, both my son and I did not find it appetizing.

The only nice thing to say about this stay was the person at the front desk was very nice. Had the same person when we checked in late afternoon as we did when we checked out early the next morning.

If we would have had time to find a different place we would have done so. This hotel is old, outdated, and dirty.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Greg B

Travelers are raving about these Menomonie hotels

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Read reviews before I booked, seemed good. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast was good, great variety. Comfy beds. WiFi kept disconnecting so it was hard to use my laptop. Room wasn't very clean. Dusty. Crumbs and lint on carpet, looked like it hadn't been vacuumed. Fridge and microwave in room, a plus. However, food smeared on cart they were held on. Bathroom door handle was sticky. Tile and floorboard coming apart in bathroom. Looked like makeup on sheets. Tub was filthy, i was able to clean it with a hot, wet, washcloth. Imagine was cleanser would do. Had to put blanket around bottom of door frame at night or hallway light showed thru. A man got stuck in elevator, had to call fire department. Another man was taken away by ambulance for being too drunk. Prostitutes on property. We were on 3rd floor, part of it smelled like someone was smoking. Our hallway smelled like bad air freshner. I was going to complain to front desk staff but they were dealing with someone that was charged for two rooms for two nights, when they only had one room, for two nights, the man in the elevator and the drunk. However, I did question the amount I was charge for the room, $5 more per night than quoted over the phone. Considering the lack of cleanliness and the chaos in this hotel, I might have over looked it. STILL, waiting for the manager to call me about over-charge. Will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Walls are very thin, so it won't matter where your room is, you can hear everyone around your ro...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mammahen5
QualityInnMenomonie, Owner at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
I would like to thank you for your feedback on the experiences of your stay. We have recently remodeled our entire hotel to meet higher guest satisfaction standards and some of your concerns come as a surprise to me. I appreciate you letting us know of your experience. I will take all necessary corrective action. We were completely full on the weekend of your stay at our hotel, although our staff is fully trained, experienced and friendly, there can always be things that are out of our control, but we try our best to correct it as soon as we can and in a professional manner. Guest satisfaction and integrity are key factors of operation at our hotel and we strive very hard to achieve them everyday. Again I thank you both for your business and feedback.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2011

This is a great hotel for the cost and CLEAN!! This is my major consideration when needing a room. This room is clean, spacious and did I say CLEAN!??!!!

Room Tip: Ask about competing rates at the desk. ;-)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
QualityInnMenomonie, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We work very hard everyday to ensure our guests are satisfied and have a pleasant experience. We have also currently renovated our hotel, we look forward to your stay with us in the future. I am sure you will enjoy the pleasant changes we have made.
Vacaville
Reviewed December 12, 2010

The rooms are clean, comfortable,quiet, and very attractive. The beds are great. The staff was very attentive and friendly. Had a great stay, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank VacavilleCathy
Severn, MD
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Let me start by saying that I stay in over 25 hotel rooms a year, typically Quality/Comfort Inns. So I have some understanding of what to expect.

When entering this hotel's hallways, they were well over 90 degrees. When I got to my room, it was 108 degrees (yep, I measured it). When I turned on the AC, it wasn't putting out any cool air whatsoever. I asked for a new room. Guess what, new room had same heat, AC was also not putting out cool air.

In fact, I think these AC units are just fan units. I should mention it was only about 75 or 80 degrees outside. I should also mention that whatever "fan speed" setting you put on the AC, it ran at low.

To say the least, the room never cooled down less than 90.

This place is a rip-off, avoid completely.

Complaints to manager were blown off.

I will be complaining to corporate tommorow.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Skylighter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menomonie
Best Western Plus Menomonie Inn & Suites
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Eau Claire
#16 of 25 in Eau Claire
Baymont Inn & Suites Eau Claire WI
Best Western Plus Eau Claire Conference Center
Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!