“Popular with the over 70 set”

Odyssey Family Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Madison, Wisconsin
“Popular with the over 70 set”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Grandma & gramps go here because the portions are huge and they can take home enough to cover a meal the next day. Yes alcohol is available (cheap) which you don't expect for a diner type place. Seniors also like that for $10 a soup or salad, main meal (huge) and dessert is included. I was told the cooked veggies aren't too hard for elders to chew as well. They are supportive to red hatters and give free cake for birthday celebrators. Backpacking hippies would find a lot of food here on the cheap & breakfast or lunch foods can be ordered any time. Greek owned although the menu offerings for authenticity is minimal or nonexistent; that said the choices of food are many. The adjacent table's chicken looked enormous. I'd recommend cutting down the choices/portions and focusing on quality. Spinach pie was good but bland. I suspect ingredients were frozen for who knows how long prior. Rice pilaf wasn't pilaf, just rice. 1/2 potato (2nd starch in addition to the rice not including the rolls on the table) with the spinach pie was not necessary and the red sauce dribbled on both indistinguishable as to what exactly it was trying to be. Coconut cream pie was very good. The service was so-so. I don't ever recall over-head paging in a restaurant my entire life and how does someone accidentally drop a full bus bucket off a table? (not ours fortunately) Then there's the music obviously the preference of the workers and not close to any customers tastes; odd. The whole scene gave me the giggles at one point after eyeing a customer who had solar eclipse doomsday sunglasses come in. It's primarily "get what you pay for" here and you really don't pay much.

• Visited April 2013

“Better”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After my last time here I said I would not be back, but family wanted to go there for an Easter Breakfast. We had Victor as our server and he is great. I have had him before in the past and he is great. We had a table for 7 and waited for only about 5-10 minutes. That was because the woman refused to serve us until our last person joined. The food was not to bad and no real problems, but then again it shouldn't be hard to mess up breakfast. The service from Victor was great. The Moral of this place is go here only when Victor is working and only order breakfast food.

• Visited March 2013
Jackson, Wisconsin
“Worse service ever”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went there for breakfast on 3/29/13 never having been there before. Greeted by a hostess who mumbled something to as as she flew by and then seemed mad we didn't follow her. A man came and asked if we wanted something to drink (we figured was just the drink guy not acting like a waiter), after we received our drinks we waited about 15mins for the same person to take our order which then took a fair amount of time to get. When he served our food he said our toast would be out in a minute.....well the toast took 10mins to come. My sister tried to flag down another waitress and all they did was look at her and ignore her. He brought my toast but not my sisters so I said "did you have to go across the stree to Mcdonalds to get this" his response "I can't help it I'm not the cook!" and walked away. My sister received hers about 5mins later.
The only time after that we even saw the "waiter" was when he gave us our check, never came back once. While we were waiting for our food I saw a young girl come out of the restroom with a baby in her arms and trip on a chair that was right outside the restroom door, none of the waitress even help her they just stood there and watched as the baby cried and she got up. They were fine but nobody helped. We mentioned it to a waitress and she went to see if they were ok after they were back at their seat.
Upon leaving I told the cashier we had the worse service ever and she laughed. I told her I was serious and began to tell her what happened. She appoligized explained one toaster was broken but he should have handled it better and she would talk to him.....yeah right. We will never ever return to this place and I would advise others to think twice before going.

• Visited March 2013
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Did you soak it it water after cooking”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I went there this past Friday and I'm a vigour food critic. I had a salad before the meal which they used way to many onions and it over powered the salad. The ceaser dressing in my view was not at all creamy but tasted extremely watered down. The beer I ordered with the meal was not really cold which any beer drinker know it should be around 34-35 degrees. My dad ordered catfish filets which I tasted and it 100% tasted like it was store bought extremely bland plate of disfranchisement. I had the whole catfish now coming from the south I know how gamy that kind of fish it can be. It tasted like the fryed it soaked it in water and fryed it again. It was vary bland not flaky vary mushy. So now if I want seafood I will NEVER EVER go to a Greek restaurant for some nasty seafood, the fish at McDonalds is better and has more taste then this hopefully shut down restaurant.

“Horrible”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have been here before, but not in some time. I visited on a Tuesday night with my father and my daughter. We were greeted at the door, but the host was not very friendly at all. She took us to our table where we waited for a server for over 20 minutes. I had enough and just got up and left, then was met at the door by the manager where she was very sorry, and asked us to stay...I also saw an employee that I have known in the past, so we stayed. The server came over right away then to take our order, then we didn't see her till our food came out. The meals even came out before our soups did. The food was average at best. My veal was very dry and over cooked. All in all...I will not be back in a while if ever!!

• Visited February 2013