“Don't judge a book by its cover”

Green Lantern Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 19 Restaurants in McFarland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This place looks run down and dumpy. The inside didn't look much better. However we decided to try it anyway. The food was good, especially their seasoned fries. The staff was friendly and attentive. Not very family atmosphere. It's more of a bar atmosphere. View of lake was disappointing. I thought we would be closer to the lake.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We eat here every year, always for a Friday night fish fry. The fish is delicious and great value for the price. It get fairly busy, and they take reservations.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Overall great service and a good Friday night fish fry. I was really impressed with the broiled cod, sometimes a healthy fish fry can be a let down, but I was pleased with the cod and even the steamed broccoli! The battered cod was good as well and there are lots of options on the menu for those looking for something other than fish fry. Our server was very nice and fast.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have lived in this area for years, and have been to the Green Lantern many times. I find myself going less and less, to the point of about 1 time per year now. I usually come in via boat, which is very handy.

The food is okay. Tonight, I had prime rib (their special), and thought it would be pretty good, but it was not tasty, it was more flat.

The place is always busy, which is good for them, so they probably do not think they need to change.

Here is the sad part...cleanliness. Absolutely terrible.

The lighting is dim so you cannot see all the dirt. Color is dark scheme inside. Old furniture - been using the same for years. Windows dirty. Air conditioning never works well - always very warm in the eating areas. Bathrooms are absolutely disgusting!

Bar area is old, the same as last year. Same people, same hot / poor circulation.

The view of the lake (I will post), is not nice at all. You sit way back, and you see a parking lot in front of the lake.

Seriously needs a makeover by a good carpenter, plumber. Maybe even tear down, and rebuild. Old old building. I cannot imagine what the kitchen looks like.

Anyhow, prices are reasonable. 21.00 for steak and lobster, Prime rib special with 3 jumbo shrimp 16.95.

The food is actually "okay". I would give them a 4 star if the building were in better condition.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

SIt by the lake and have a beer and a burger at the bar or grab dinner, lunch or breakfast. Not gourmet food, but good food, served in a fun upbeat atmosphere and your wallet won't take a beating. Try the Reuben as it is actually made with real corned beef brisket, not lunch meat like most places.

We have always had a pleasant experience with good food whenever we visit!