“Our first experience with the deep fried cheese curd”
Review of The Old Feed Mill

The Old Feed Mill
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Mazomanie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Cleveland, Ohio, Usa
“Our first experience with the deep fried cheese curd”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Old Feed Mill was a pleasant surprise in the quiet town of Mazomanie. The food was delicious and the portions were huge. We order the cheese pies as an appetizer which turned out to be about a pound and a half of deep fried cheese curds. Being from outside of Wisconsin, we had never had a cheese curd before and this was a great introductory to this dairy delight! Three of us ate the whole plate and spend the rest of the night feeling the weight of fried cheese curd in our bellies. Absolutely worth it. Our entrees were all delicious, including the salad my friend ordered. Seeing so many hearty/fried dishes leave the kitchen, I was skeptical that their salads would be anything but iceburg lettuce, but I was wrong! Here mixed greens and veggies were all fresh and crisp and after indulging in the curds, I wished I had had more faith and ordered the salad myself.

The reasons I am only giving the Old Feed Mill four stars has nothing to do with the food. Our server was friendly, but she did forget to bring us our soup and salads (an oversight we did not notice until much later when we were home!), and the host was really unprofessional and a bit of a scatterbrain. My wine glass and several pieces of silverware also came out a little dirty. But these were really overshadowed by how delicious the food was. We'd definitely give it another go if we found ourselves back in Mazonmanie!

• Visited May 2013

“Maybe the BEST Fish Fry - 2013”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

So what do you think about full cod fillets flown in from Alaska just days before Friday - do you think that might be good???? These were the biggest most succulent tantalizing beer battered Cod filets around!!! Not to mention - the Walleye on the menu is also to die for!! Both the head Chef and 2nd in charge are world trained chefs in the finest culinary arts schools. One of these gentlemen worked for many years at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas as 2nd Chef in charge.

We have compared this Friday Fish Fry to some of our favorites around.....Schaumburg Supper club, Dorf Haus, Owls Nest, Buck and Honeys.........and we are in agreement that although these are all very good - WE found a NEW number 1 !!! Also.....if you like Old Fashioned's...we are also the connoisseur of these as well.......if you like the traditional muddled sugars, fruits and bitters.....you will find these some of the best!! All with our favorite.....crystal clear ice cubes!! This is an absolute must try for those of you looking for a short drive.....and the best Fish Fry as of 2013 (May).

Wisconsin
“Eat at this restaurant about once or twice a year and we were very underwhelmed with this visit.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has always been a bit of a treat, when we're in the mood for a good meal along with a lot of atmosphere. We absolutely love the building and the old decor. Usually, we love the food, but this time the food was over seasoned, to the point that I was coughing. My spouse's dish had no flavor. Go figure! We were hoping to enjoy a relaxing meal, but everything came out so fast and we were given the bill, before I had even finished my drink. The place was almost empty, so they should of taken their time and asked us if we wanted another drink. We were out of the restaurant in less than 45 minutes. A very rushed experience, with disappointing food. Maybe that is why the place was empty? The waitress was very nice, but rushed the entire meal. I think that was our one time for the year.

Surprise, Arizona
“This was a pleasant surprise.”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I were on a Friend of the Arboretum (Madison, WI) field trip and The Old Feed Mill was our motor coach stopped for a preset lunch. I was somewhat suspicious of what we would be eating as I had over many, many years of business meetings and seminars eaten enough of massed produced tasteless meals. Well, too say the least I was very surprised, the preset meal I could have sworn was fresh made for each of the 40 some odd people in the group. The salad was, fresh and chilled, not dry, wilted and tasteless. The fresh made bread was so delicious and it was warm as it came to our tables. The bread is made from fresh ground whole grain, milled on the premises, which is an old feed mill. It just melted in my mouth. When lunch was served, it was hot and fresh, juicy succulent chicken marsala of high quality, fresh steamed mixed vegetables not your Normandy blend and potatoes. Water glasses were attended too with frequency I have never seen in any other restaurant, one’s water glass never appeared less than half full, because as soon as a glass got to half full one of the wait staff would be there to fill the water glass. Dessert was a moist and not over chocolaty cake. After lunch I browsed the gift shop; which was of which I have never seen in any other. The gifts were thoughtful, not junky and displayed in such a way that you were not going through rows. Quilts are the main “décor” of the restaurant and gift shop. During our group lunch, several couples stopped by for lunch and were accommodated without any interruption to the group as we were seated in the main dining room. Nancy, one of the owners gave our group some history on The Old Feed Mill. Of course the reason for such high quality of the food, The Old Feed Mill makes every effort to purchase everything possible locally when available and in season. So if you happen to be in Mazomanie or maybe approaching Mazomanie on a drive and nearing a meal time, don’t drive on by, because if you do, you will be missing a real dining experience.

Spring Green, Wisconsin
“Quaint little restaurant”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went with some friends on a Sunday morning for the brunch. It was very nice. The apple pie was delicious but everything was. It is such a neat building and the staff is very nice.
Can't wait to go back again.

• Visited March 2013