“Groupon weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mayville
Chicago, Illinois
“Groupon weekend”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We went at the wrong time of year for Horicon Marsh, the Audubon Inn is in the perfect location for a nice weekend away from the city at the right time of year. The Stained glass windows are beautiful - overall its a beautiful guest house with that true "olden days" feel. The suite we stayed in was a nice size and comfortable, great bathroom with a nice jacuzzi tub! The staff are super friendly and the overall charm of the place gives it character - a gem in the middle of no-where. The food on the other hand was VERY mediocre and overpriced. As a fully functional restaurant for locals, I feel that they could do some work there. Overall a good stay.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Had a groupon to use and thought this would be a great trip. NOT at all!! The room was tiny and very outdated. Not at all a bed and breakfast. Bed and continental breakfast like a hotel would be. The room had horrible stains on the floor, looked like vomit. I didn't even want to walk around in my socks. The white towels were stained. Maybe use some bleach....white should be the easiest to keep clean. After all that I thought: well at least we'll get a hot shower in the morning!! NOPE!! Cold water!! There was hot for the sink but not even warm for the shower. Couldn't call anyone because there is no one at the desk. You just throw your key over the counter and leave! Not very caring or concerned if you ask me. Never even met the owners.

1 Thank jjbalua
Glendale, WI
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Mike and Stacy were wonderful hosts, attentive and helpful in every way. We stayed in the honeymoon suite (the Dove suite) on the third floor (yes, elevator was handy!). The inn has great charm and character and has been lovingly restored. The food in the dining room is superb and the service equally good. Our bed was very comfortable, we really enjoyed the double whirlpool in the bathroom, the furnishings were appropriate for this old inn (originally built in 1896). We were so impressed with the abundance of open seating areas on each floor of the inn. We were five minutes away from the Horicon Marsh, the largest bird and wildlife habitat in the country, with the possible exception of the Everglades. We had the perfect relaxed and romantic weekend and thank our hosts for their thoughtful assistance! We'll be back!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mayville, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We have been coming to The Audubon Inn for years and the new manager is absolutely nothing compare to the previous management. Gordon was the previous manager but now the new manager, I believe her name is Maggie, has no solid experience and she does not have any good customer service skills. We came there tonight and she was impersonable, a tad rude, and has no indication that she has the qualifications of being a manager for a fine dining restaurant. The food is always top notch, which is why I couldn't give this rating a "Horrible". Keep up the good work Chef Earl, you are the only good thing left and we hope that you can help this place rebound!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a place away from the hustle and bustle of the city. This was a gem! Like a B&B but with more - restaurant and bar were terrific. Rooms are cozy, like being in an era gone-by. Food in the restaurant was wonderful and the owners are super-friendly. If you're looking for a unique getaway experience, don't pass this up! We'll return.

Horcion WI
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I went to Autubon In for St Patrick's Day, we had heard that they are a nicer restuarant and have good food we only go out to a nicer restuarant once every couple months. The first incident that happened was my husband found a slug in his salad. Still very much alive! My husband pulled the waitress off to the side and showed her. She assured us that we would be getting a discount on our meal. Instead of giving us a discount they gave us 1 free dessert for the 2 of us. I have celiac disease. Which means I can eat NOTHING with wheat, rye or barley. It was a three layer mousse with three different liquors. Jameson, Bailey's Irish cream and Kalhua. I asked the waitress if there was any wheat, rye or barley. She assured me that no there wasn't but went and asked the executive chef. He also said no there wasn't. Within 15 minutes of me eating the dessert i was throwing up. When we got home we looked up the ingredients of the liquors. ALL 3 liquors have wheat and one of them have wheat and barley. When I called them 2 days later I left my name and number and said that either the owner or manager needed to call me back. When the owner called me back 2 days later, all he said was sorry that that happened. And all the feedback helps. They did offer us a free meal but with our experience, We will never go back to the autubon inn!

Reviewed March 1, 2012

This hotel is nice and the restaurant and bar was awesome.

• Stayed February 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayville
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Waupun
Country Hearth Inn and Suites Lomira
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Beaver Dam
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Hartford
Hampton Inn & Suites West Bend
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fond du Lac

Been to The Audubon Inn? Share your experiences!