“Consider staying here very carefully and then opt not to”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mauston
Woodside Ranch Resort
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I am a lifelong Wisconsinite raised not too far from Mauston WI. I had never heard of the Woodside Ranch but went to a family reunion there in June 2012. I was appalled at the room conditions I found. My lodge room was so dated that I did not even turn lights on for very long as I was afraid to get too good a look at it. I noticed a lack of any documentation in the room attesting to inspection, etc. The tub was multicolored from rust, and old age and dripping water from the faucet. Although meals were included, as were all the horse and animal activities, we did not partake of any of those--meals yes, activities no. The two nights we spent there were so expensive that I asked to be removed from the mailing list and never wish to return. The food was nothing special --school hot lunch variety. This is not a place for couples without kids or for couples not interested in animal activities. Truly the four legged creatures had better accommodations-new barns and updated plumbing and sleeping quarters than did we two legged creatures. Don't be fooled by the website. The highway that runs through it is very noisy and very close to the lodge. You ride a hay wagon thru the woods to get to breakfast every morning. Don't miss the bell or you miss your meal. No tvs, no radios, no amenities in the rooms in the lodge.

Room Tip: AVOID too costly and too barren
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank VASQUEZ
There are newer reviews for Woodside Ranch Resort

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We have been going to Woodside Ranch for many years until our last visit. We were on a trail ride and the bugs were awful, the poor horses were eaten alive. I ask one of the employees who were trail riding with us and he said the new owner, who is from LA, is pretty cheap and wouldn't buy fly spray for the horses. We will never return to Woodside until they atleast give those poor horses so fly spray. They were being eaten alive and it was terrible to see them like that. It's too bad because the horses are the main reason most of us go there.

5  Thank michelle j
Reviewed May 14, 2012

my wife and me just left the ranch last Friday, we were there for our honeymoon.All I can say is that we LOVED it there, the staff were so nice to us and the food was out of this world. Thanks woodside for a great week and we WILL be back next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bill N
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I love the ranch, leave the electronics at home because you wont have time to use them here nor will you miss them either. Stay in a rustic cabin and let your stresses of the world fade away as you horse back ride whenever you want care free.

2  Thank Gabriel B
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We've been going to Woodside Ranch for years now...my kids love the horseback riding, activities and friends they've met over the years. The staff is friendly, funny and we look forward to seeing fellow guests year after year. The food is more comfort then gourmet and be sure to bring your own pillows towels. Woodside Ranch is frozen in time from the 60s so it's charming; but the beds aren't too comfortable and the cabins/ranch is looking a little tired.

Room Tip: cabins; not suites per se
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank patiflannery
Reviewed July 22, 2011

5 years ago we took our whole family here for an anniversary long weekend. This year we repeated this wonderful adventure. The good news and bad news was that nothing had changed. The meals are tasty and hearty - but a bit like 1955. Delicious! But not reflecting modern preferences for fresh vegetables and fruits. The rustic decor remains authentic. Staff is friendly and accomodating. Opportunities to enjoy riding good and family friendly horses are extensive. My favorite thing is still riding (horseback or in the wagon) through the woods to an outdoor wonderful breakfast being cooked. Nothing like trotting through the woods and beginning to smell the coffee and bacon!

3  Thank CheetosBurlingtonWI
Reviewed December 16, 2010

Me and my family have been going here for the past 10 years. I love it so much that I actually applied to be a wrangler. I can't get enough of this place. It is worth going to this wonderful location. It's a lot of fun. the horses are great, the activities are fun, they have a nice pool, their cabins are clean. really there are no complaints. And through all of my years attending Woodside I have heard no negative complaints. If you want a fun get away this is the place to go!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank spartacussa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mauston
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 4 in Mauston
Best Western Park Oasis Inn
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#5 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
AmericInn Hotel & Suites New Lisbon
Polynesian Resort Hotel
Polynesian Resort Hotel
#59 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#25 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Woodside Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!