“Consistently Delectable” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
whitefish
“Consistently Delectable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I have been traveling to Marshfield for over 20 years. I am originally from the town and we visit usually twice a year. We have been having dinner at the Thomas House since they opened. It is a great addition to the town with a wonderful upscale menu. There is a very warm atmosphere when you walk in the door. They have a lovely patio in Summer. We usually have 6-10 people joining us for dinner. There is a great selection on the wine menu, beer and bar drinks. The staff has always been very friendly and efficient. Duck is always a favorite along with Steaks. We will be back in November.

• Visited May 2014

Wilson, Wyoming
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

While visiting a patient at the hospital ate here two nights in a row it was so good. Loved the trout and the duck. Friendly, fast service and a very pleasant atmosphere.

Visited April 2014
Wisconsin
“Unique Place in Marshfield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Love their Martinis and their food is unique, kind of fine dining but in a more relaxed atmosphere. I like to go there with girlfriends or a date with my husband. They have all kind of drinks, wine or beers. Really enjoy this place and its staff.

Visited March 2014
Marshfield, Wisconsin
“Foodie2U”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Ate here on 2/22/14, what a miserable experience. We had 6:30 reservations and where still waiting for our food at 8:00. When we finally had our entrees of a variety of steaks, all the steaks were cold, the veggies and potatoes were cold. The server and manager were not sure what to do. They offered to "reheat" our food, which of course takes away from the flavor and moisture and of the food. One in our party was so hungry he ate his cold before the server came back to realized there was a problem. The male staff were too busy in the bar making drinks and messing around that they weren't even sure if the owner was on the property. When the owner came over he was more worried about bragging of being an architect and that his wife works and the local clinic in town. We were not impressed. They took two entrees off the bill and one round of drinks. The bill was still $178.00. When customers are actually will to pay that price for a meal, they expect high quality and satisfaction. Not a bunch of pompous conversion and excuses as to why they didn't bring out food out when is was cooked. It had obviously been sitting in the kitchen. From the time we received our salads and finally the steaks almost an hour and a half had gone by. Our table piled up with empty drink glasses and bottles and we got "I'm so sorry, I don't what happened, we are so busy tonight." The dining room has a total of about 7 tables. Stick to architecture and find proper staff. Had the food been hot, the cook adds good flavor and technique, unfortunately the rest of staff is ruining his reputation! I will never eat there again. And this was my first and last experience at Thomas House!!!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Foody2U
Marshfield, Wisconsin
“Good but overpriced.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Went in for dinner on a Saturday night. We were immediately seated and ordered our drinks (Beer and Cosmopolitan) and the Gnocchi for an appetizer. The Gnocchi was very rich and flavorful, but I do wish they would have put more on the humongous plate they served it on. I think there was maybe 6 pieces of Gnocchi in total and the plate looked like it could fit a 20lb turkey!

For dinner, I had the $41 Rib Eye special they were running that night. For the price, I was expecting the best steak I'd ever had. When I got it, I immediately noticed that it was not a very good cut at all. I'd imagine it was slightly less than 1" thick and it had almost no fat at all. Now, I'd imagine a lot of people would prefer a more lean cut steak, but for a rib eye, the spinalis is the best portion of the steak and this one was almost non-existent. If I had to guess what cut of steak it was without being told, I'd have guessed it was a New York Strip. I will say, the steak was cooked a perfect medium-rare, and the chef did a great job, I just don't think the quality of the meat was great to begin with.

The dinner also came with a side of asparagus and some sort of pilaf. The asparagus was nothing special to be perfectly honest, but the pilaf was amazing and I think I actually enjoyed it more than the steak.

For desert, we had some sort of Mousse with Nutella powder and a strip of filo dough. I have to say, it was very good.

All in all, the food was good and we had a good time at the Thomas House, I just don't think it's worth the price. It is by far the best restaurant I've been to in Marshfield, but I don't think it comes anywhere close to some of the other restaurants I've been to that charge similar prices. For the money I spent, I could have driven to Madison and gone to Vintage Brewing Co. or Dotty Dumplings and still have spent less than I did at Thomas House. I am glad I went, but I don't think it'd be worth the cost of going back.

• Visited February 2014