“Poor service.”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Marinette
Madison, Wisconsin
“Poor service.”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was our first time staying at the Country Inn and Suites in Marinette. We usually stay at the Americinn in Menominee or The Best Western in Marinette. We decided to bring our dog with this trip instead and I saw online they had a puppy package which sounded nice. The puppy package was great.

The puppy package was great. It was $10 more per night, but $10 less on the dog fee. So it evens out financially. The package included a nice small metal bowl, a couple biscuits, and a ball with a strap attached for a handle. My dog loved the toy and did great in the hotel room.

The room was clean with a nice desk and comfortable beds. The pool was warmer than most hotels and the hot tub was cooler than most. Which I actually preferred. Everywhere we saw in the hotel seemed well maintained and clean. The breakfast was good and the attendant tried to help people with the waffle maker.

Front desk the morning of checkout is where this hotel failed in my opinion and is why we will never return. The day of our checkout we were going to meet Family for lunch at noon. So we were relaxing and taking our time to get ready to meet them. We planned on leaving at 11:45 to meet them a few minutes early. While getting ready we received multiple unexpected calls from the front desk. These calls were to ask us if we left yet. Apparently it is a hassle to the employees for us to stay in the room we paid $120 for. We found this extremely rude. I've stayed at more hotels than I can remember for work and never had something like this happen before. Staying at a hotel should be a relaxing, casual experience and this had the exact opposite effect.

In short I would not stay here again or recommend it to anyone else. The other hotels I've stayed at in the area were cheaper, had pools, and better service. This hotel was newer and a little nicer but service is more important to me.

One other thing to non-smokers. Every time I went outside the front door there were employees directly outside the door smoking. I'm a former smoker and this doesn't bother me but I understand how some people feel about it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CIS54143, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marinette, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
I am so sorry that you were bothered like that at check out. That is certainly not the type of service that we try to provide for our guests here at the Country Inn.

I did speak to that employee and correct the matter so that it will not happen in the future, and again I am so sorry for your inconvenience.

I sincerely hope that this does not deter you from staying with us again and we hope to see you soon when your travels bring you back to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was our first stay here and we will definitely be back! We were visiting family in neighboring Menominee.. and booked this hotel based on the price, location and reviews of others. Though we did not take advantage of the breakfast... I did take a sneak peak.. and it had a better than average selection.. and I have to say.. the coffee bar in the front lobby( and the cookies :) made my day! The staff was friendly, and the overall cleanliness of the hotel and rooms was excellent. Maybe the only thing was that the whirlpool could have been a tad warmer.. but sure felt good after a long day on the road. I also have to say how surprisingly quiet it was even though it was fairly close to the rr track. On our first night we heard nothing and even with more guests on Saturday it was still very quiet. Thanks!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CountryInn54143, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marinette, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope this is the first of many stays to come...we enjoyed having you and hope to see you again soon!
Mounds View, Minnesota
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were going back to Marinette for my 30 year High School reunion and my husband booked us a room at this hotel. We are familiar with the chain and have always been satisfied with the accommodation. This was no exception. It was clean, served a good breakfast selection and the King mini-suite (had a partial wall and pull out couch) was nice when I felt like sleeping but my husband wanted to have a light on to read. Service was good, staff was pleasant and responsive, price was reasonable. I would recommend it if you are planning to visit this area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to our area!
Oklahoma
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in one of the suites. It was nice because we could put the kids to bed and close the door and still visit. The only thing I didn't like about the place was that the bathroom in the suites were quite small, and the sink was in with the shower. It was clean, the staff was wonderful and it was an incredible breakfast!! I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CountryInn54143, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marinette, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We're so glad to hear you had a pleasant stay and we hope to see you again soon when your travels bring you back to the Marinette area! Thank you!
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The only complaint I have is that the central staircase only goes up one flight I like to use the stairs for general coming and going. Its a standard chain-type hotel, but the staff was well above average. Room was quiet despite train tracks across the parking lot (not a problem for us anyway). Good restaurant across the street. Good breakfast in the lobby, too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CountryInn54143, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marinette, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We're thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to our area!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Needed a hotel that allowed pets for a quick one night stay. The Country Inn & Suites fit that bill. The rooms were clean and you couldn't tell if they were "pet" rooms or regular. They charge a nominal $20 pet fee which I felt was reasonable. The beds were comfortable and the bedding was awesome. The hotel had a small salt water pool and a hot tub. The hot tub was nice, but I don't think the temps were right. It seemed a little cold.

The hotel had a nice country feel and was quiet during this stay. There is a CN train line that runs along the property. If you're a light sleeper you might want to ask for a room at the rear where it might be quieter. Personally, I didn't find it as loud as some other reviewers.

I wasn't able to take advantage of breakfast because they don't allow you to leave the dog unattended in the room.

There is a little railway themes restaurant next to the hotel. If I were in the area again, I would return here.

• Stayed October 2012
CountryInn54143, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marinette, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Country Inn & Suites of Marinette! I'm sure the horse (Teetee) loved having his picture taken too! :)

Hopefully we'll see you again should your travels bring you back to our area.
Northbrook, IL
Reviewed September 12, 2012

If Marinette is your destination, this Country Inn is a good spot to stay. It's just a standard Carlson Co. franchise, but for this area, that's enough to raise it toward the top. We were here to attend a wedding, and glad we chose this sport. Most other available places are the old roadside, tiny room mom-and-pop motels that kind of give us the creeps. Anyway, service is prompt and attentive. Lobby and hallways are clean. Beds and linens are comfy. Breakfast is the standard do-it-yourself stuff . . . nothing much. Strange byways to get to the front door, even though you can see it from the main highway. Looks as though a planned access road never got constructed.

Room Tip: Invest in an "extended stay suite" . . . the extra room makes a big difference here for ev...