“Disapointed”

WestPort Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Manitowoc B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The owner refused to give us a refund or a "rain check" on our reservation. The SS Badger was not able to make the run across Lake Michigan due to an "act of God" ( high winds on the lake). We don't know how nice the rooms are or how well the staff attends to detail. We recommend waiting to pay for your stay until you get to this B&B.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vicki S
The_westport, Owner at WestPort Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

We have many families that like to share their experience with their parents or siblings.
Example: Mary from Minneapolis commented how her Son and Daughter-in-law so
enjoyed the Westport, that they gave them a gift certificate to duplicate the experience, they enjoyed it so much, that they have returned every year since.

When a reservation is made 30 Days in advance of a stay, there is a commitment from both parties to honor the obligation. Notification of this commitment prior to a stay goes through due process. All guests receive the cancelation policy three times before arrival. At the time the online reservation is made, in a confirmation, and in a Welcome letter days before their arrival, so the position is clear.

When we received the cancellation, we opened the room for rebooking letting the guest know that if we could rebook the room there would be no charge to them. Unfortunately, we were unable to book the room, at such a late date, less than 24 hours notice. Remember the room had been booked by their daughter 30 Days prior, so even though we had gotten calls for reservations for that particular day weeks before, we were unable to accept any reservation as we had already booked the room. Our B&B was fully booked for that night. Our city was having a Harvest Festival that weekend, so rooms were at a premium.

When they cancelled the reservation, saying that the Badger wasn’t crossing the next day, they demanded that we give their daughter a refund for the reservation. We told them that wasn’t our policy, and that their daughter was aware of the reservation cancellation policy We would try to rebook the room, and if that wasn’t possible we would send them a Gift Certificate to be used at a later date, which wouldn’t expire for a year from date of issue. They said they didn’t want a Gift Certificate, saying that they didn’t know if they would be coming across to Manitowoc again. They were very adamant that we give them a refund, and would pursue the matter unless a refund was given. We had already made purchases of perishable items prior to the guest’s arrival such as flowers and food. Another person in the same situation cancelled, and we were able to reach an amicable agreement in minutes without all the vitriol. The comments are disingenuous, and untrue. We take very good care of our guests, check our Trip Advisor reviews.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a very nice B&B. The house itself is beautiful, well-decorated and very comfortable. What made it a standout was the hosts willingness to accommodate my late arrival time, the complimentary well-stocked fridge and snack basket in my room (most appreciated after a harried day of travel) plus additional snacks and coffee in the common area, and the multi-course, freshly cooked breakfast. The room and bathroom were very well appointed and spotlessly clean. No issues with this inn whatsoever other than the relatively minor complaint about the lavender-scented sheets making me sneeze! I enjoyed my stay and it is clear that theses hosts know how to run an excellent B&B.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank IllinoisCentral
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The room was quiet, beautifully decorated and simply wonderful. Paul and Janis are excellent keepers and we would recommend the Westport to anyone without reservation. We felt more like family than guests.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Leeander50
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Quiet, cozy house that was a welcomed retreat for my husband and I. Room was very clean and well stocked with snacks, beverages (even wine and beer), and chocolate! The jacuzzi was a must for my husband, so the Liberty room was perfect. It was a little hard getting in and out of the shower, but it was manageable. Jan & Paul offered great recommendations for restaurants, as well as roads to take for our travels. They were wonderful hosts! The breakfasts were fabulous! Over all a great place to stay - would most definitely recommend!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paulina T
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The WestPort Bed and Breakfast is a nice clean place to stay. My room was very nicely decorated and had fresh flowers, chocolates, a snack basket, and a fridge full of drinks -- all complimentary.

I stayed in mid May and found my room to be quite warm. I didn't complain, so there might have been relief if I had bothered to do so.

I stayed in the Liberty Retreat room. It looked lovely online and I figured I could use the comfort of the bubbly hot tub at the end of a long driving day. However, it was too slippery to sit in and so high I had difficulty getting into it. That is also the shower, so the difficulty of getting in was a problem for the morning shower too. If you are a tall person, it might work fine. Otherwise, choose another room.

The hosts were very friendly and we had good visiting time during breakfast. The breakfast, cooked onsite, was unbelievably good and way too much to eat at one sitting. However, as advertised, I didn't need any lunch at all.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Brenda C
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I were travelling through the area on business. Typically, we opt for a hotel and the standard cold buffet in the morning. So glad we decided to try the WestPort even though we only had one night. They were very accomodating and made us an early breakfast so we could get out and on to a meeting. The added touches of snacks in the room were very nice too! We will definately stay here again when passing through Manitowoc.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Westport Bed and Breakfast in October 2011 and loved it! Jan and Paul were wonderful hosts and so hospitable throughout our stay. Paul greeted us when we arrived and not only recommended a fantastic restaurant, but made our reservations for us. The room was cozy and the breakfast was simply amazing. With fresh fruit to start, a hot gourmet main dish, and a sweet treat to finish it off, we weren't even hungry for lunch. We felt so spoiled staying for the weekend and left feeling so refreshed as we headed home to our kids. Make Manitowoc and the Westport B&B your travel destination!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple