“not authentic”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Manitowoc, Wisconsin, United States
“not authentic”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

tacos with no cilantro and the meat is ground beef? why all the lettuce? this is not authentic mexican, its taco bell at twice the price.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Brad D
LaCarretaManitowoc, Owner at La Carreta Mexican Restaurant, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I am sorry for the confusion. Yes are ala carte tacos are ground beef or shredded chicken topped with lettuce and cheese unless requested otherwise. We do however have several other taco choices on our menu including carne asada (steak), al pastor, chorizo, lengua, shrimp, fish, and pork served on a corn or flour tortilla topped with onions and cilantro.

Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Good Mexican food.”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've been there twice for lunch recently. I've been told by locals that under new management, it is infinitely better than it used to be. I've enjoyed the meals, and will go back when I'm thru Manitowoc by myself, but it is not someplace that I would take spouse or friends to....... because, it is basically average and the decor is not particularly impressive.Lunch is reasonable; portions are more than adequate; they are as hot as you want. It simply may be that my favorite ethnic foods are other than Mexican. If you are a big fan of Mexican food, you may very well like it better than I did. You certainly won't dislike La Carreta.

• Visited September 2012
Michigans Upper Peninsula
“Good food, modest prices”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This seems to be another of the many Mexican restaurants springing up in the midwest: low on overhead but offering good, basic food for a modest price. We stopped for lunch and weren't dissapointed: chips/salsa on the table, Dos Equis on tap, and a good menu selection. My Burrito Special was average, but my wife's Burrito La Carreta was awesome! Well spiced, very flavorful, and enough to take some home in a box. Well worth the stop.

• Visited October 2012
Manitowoc, Wisconsin, United States
“La Carreta is AWESOME!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have been many times this summer since the new opening and we have yet to be disappointed. The food is fantastic and the wait staff is johnny-on-the-spot! The only noticeable item is the ceiling tiles could use some replacing. If you are looking for great Mexican food at a fabulous price give La Carreta a try!!!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank robbinnlynn
Rochester, Wisconsin
“The name has changed but it's still pretty good”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The name is now La Carreta but it's still at the same location and genre.

The food was average or a little above average for a Mexican fare. The prices were reasonable. The chips and salsa was very good. One member of our party tends to be picky but they made things to order to keep him happy. They were very friendly. It's not the best Mexican food that I've ever had but if I was in the area again, I'd consider going back.

• Visited June 2012