“Simply Awful”

Add it.
Schooners
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We got their card in the mail advertising "Hickery" smoked BBQ.. the card touted the fact that they make their own BBQ sauces..yadda yadda. I really like authentic smoked BBQ pulled pork and like to find those out of the way BBQ dives when I go down south for an authentic taste. I've eaten many a pulled pork sandwich in my lifetime.

Well, as we pulled into the parking lot at 5:45, there was not one car in the lot... a little bit of a red flag. Went inside and there was not one other customer. Very obnoxious loud Jazz music playing, the type with the never ending sax solos that squeal and make you want to scream out "make it stop" The waitress was friendly enough and brought our drinks. The soda was flat and the drinks just didn't taste right. We both ordered the pulled pork sandwich on a Kaiser roll. The sandwich was absolutely horrible. Rather than tasting like smoked pulled pork, it was like pot roast that was made several days prior and had been sitting around being reheated. The pork pieces didn't look like any other pulled pork I've ever seen and looked like it was cut up with a knife. The meat was chewy, gray and bland. The Kaiser roll was hard and seemed like it wasn't fresh either. I have to add that we ate here on a Tuesday.. they are closed on Monday.. and we figured that we were eating food left over from the weekend. I can say it was the worst pulled pork sandwich I've ever had. Both of us didn't even eat them. After a few bites we sat there and laughed.. finished our drinks and asked for a to-go box. WIth only 10% of both sandwiches being eaten and then asking for a to-go box, you'd think the waitress would ask us if there was anything wrong ? Nope.. she didn't even ask how the meal was.. for us to tell her it was awful.. She just kind of smiled at us.. gave us the to-go boxes and walked away.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

What a sad and disappointing restaurant. We were looking forward to a nice dinner and we were very disappointed. To begin, my spouse and I ordered the pork chop dinner which we were later told was unavailable. They were "out of pork chops". So, we changed our order. I ordered a chicken breast and my spouse ordered a sirloin steak. We both also ordered the salad and baked potato. The salad came accompanied by hot DELICIOUS rolls. Without hesitation I would highly recommend the rolls, however, you can't eat just rolls. The salad was tasty and cold. Not bad. The entree came...my baked potato was about half done, if that, although my spouse's potato was "okay". My chicken breast was not completely done, nor was my spouse's steak. So.....we ate salad and rolls and paid $40.00. We won't go back but I will miss the rolls.

2  Thank oldsville
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We have been to Schooners with family and friends on two different occasions (once Fri. evening & once Sat. evening) and have received very good meals each time. Each of us tried different items so we could share & everyone raved about their meals, large portion sizes and stated they would come back the next time they're up in Manitowoc. The wait staff are very friendly and humorous.

Schooners has a unique breading (stringy) on their walleye & perch which is delicious. The steaks were cooked to perfection and the crab stuffed shrimp had REAL crab, not imitation. Warm homemade rolls are served with the meals. Be sure to save room for thier delicous homemade desserts!!

1  Thank TheKidsAreGone