“Awesome exhibits, cool submarine”

Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Manitowoc
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to a great place to learn, play and explore the rich maritime history of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes region. Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, the Wisconsin Maritime Museum offers visitors a unique place to spend hours learning about the sailors, shipbuilders and submariners who made that history, and to have some great family fun! Founded in 1970 as the Manitowoc Submarine Memorial Association, the Wisconsin Maritime Museum has grown into one of the largest maritime museums in the Midwest. In addition to commemorating the maritime heritage of the Manitowoc-Two Rivers area and the submarines built here during World War II, the Wisconsin Maritime Museum is now a leader in preserving the maritime history of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes region.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I have visited this museum several times and enjoy it. We love the ship exhibits about the history of sailing and traversing Lake Michigan, as well as the authentic WWII submarine that you can tour. You can even spend a night on the sub during special events in the summer. A definite must for children of all ages.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

It was okay. I liked it but it was never meant to be in my lyfe. Because I do not like ships...but if I did it would be excellent. So visit it. What are u waiting for?????

Reviewed December 2, 2012

As a teacher I took groups of high school students to tour the Cobia. The "hands on" experience was very meaningful. The close quarters made a big impression. The guides are always interesting and have a personal connection to the submarine. The museum is interesting, too, but the submarine is the highlight.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

As a WWII buff I thought it appropriate to tour the USS Cobia, which saw action in the war. The tour guide was very informative as he described life on the boat and its various features. If you visit Manitowoc make this a part of it.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The water area for kids was a big hit with my son. He enjoyed trying all the interactive waterways with the boats he made. It was hard to get him to leave that area. I was amazed at how many cities in WI had been involved in boatmaking, and learned a lot about the subs made and launched from Manitowoc. Unfortunately we arrived early on a Sunday morning and they were only doing an afternoon tour of the submarine, so we didn't get to see the inside. That was a big disappointment. I wish I had know before we went. There was plenty to see. Lots of models and full size boats. The paintings of schooners were fabulous.